Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First DSLR suggestions?

• 25-03-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm lookimg at buying my first DSLR and I'm wondering what is the best one to purchase for under €1,000?

Basically what I'm looking for is to capture scenic photos. Something similar to these?

trinidad-city-rooftops-XL.jpg17268095_202151986935436_8745468710841483264_n.jpg

I understand that the camera that captured these is probably worth well in excess of €3,000 and that there's a lot of colour touch ups added but what camera would be best at capturing images similar to those for under €1,000.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

It all depends, you can buy brand new basic model or buy a second hand model but a better camera . Your lens would be just as important or worth spending more money on . What brand are you looking at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭DonalB1

Thanks for the response, much appreciated...Canon or Nikon but tbh I'm not fussed at all...

I'm just wondering is it possible to get images with such good detail on a DSLR worth under €1,000?

I have an iphone 7 and the images are great but I would never be able to capture the above images with that.

I'm doing a little bit of travelling during the Summer, I don't plan on printing but I would like to start uploading high quality images online and would like to find the best camera possible for the job, within my budget :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Almost any DSLR can capture photos like those. A decent camera, a decent lens, some photoshop processing and you will get photos like those.

Canon and Nikon are good reliable brands, with plenty of lens choices.

Paulw wrote: »
    Almost any DSLR can capture photos like those. A decent camera, a decent lens, some photoshop processing and you will get photos like those.

Canon and Nikon are good reliable brands, with plenty of lens choices.

So for instance would a Canon 100D be able to capture images like that?

What is it that I should be looking for if I'm mainly planning on upload online? What's the main thing? Is it megapixels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

DonalB1 wrote:
    I'm just wondering is it possible to get images with such good detail on a DSLR worth under €1,000?

You would be surprised what shots you can get with a phone camera . I took my HTC m9 on holidays and was surprised by it but it's hard to get of field ..

I've 2 Nikon's and and 2 pieces of good glass . It gets expensive !!!

• Advertisement

dev100 wrote: »
    You would be surprised what shots you can get with a phone camera . I took my HTC m9 on holidays and was surprised by it but it's hard to get of field ..

I've 2 Nikon's and and 2 pieces of good glass . It gets expensive !!!

Yea my iphone 7 gets great photos, really impressed by them. But I'd like to capture images like the ones above and it's just not possible with the 7. The iphone 7 has a 12mp camera and most of the DSLR are 18mp and above, is that the main difference between them ?

DonalB1 wrote: »
    The iphone 7 has a 12mp camera and most of the DSLR are 18mp and above, is that the main difference between them ?

It's not about the megapixelxels. It's more about the sensor size.

A phone has a sensor about the size of your thumbnail. The sensor in your camera has one about 4 times that. So, it captures a lot more data.

An 8mp SLR will take better quality images than a 12mp phone.

The Canon 100D is a fine camera. But, you also want to buy a decent lens or two with it. And then you want some software to process your images. Lightroom is probably best overall for that.

A phone has a sensor about the size of your thumbnail. The sensor in your camera has one about 4 times that. So, it captures a lot more data.

The Canon 100D is a fine camera. But, you also want to buy a decent lens or two with it. And then you want some software to process your images. Lightroom is probably best overall for that.

Thanks for that...really cleared the confusion up, I was actually told to buy the 100D as it's a great camera for a beginner.

I was actually told to buy the 100D as it's a great camera for a beginner.

From looking at the specs, it's a good camera. But, a quality photo is just as much (if not more) about the lens.

You invest in lenses. Camera bodies will change over time (I won't even say how many bodies I've been through), but quality lenses will last much longer. So, make sure you invest in quality lenses too.

My best advice - go to a shop. Feel the camera in your hands, no matter where you buy it from. Hold it. Made sure it feels right in your hand. Some bodies feel small in your hands, some feel too light, some too heavy, some too palstic, some too metallic, etc. Just get a feel for it before you buy.

From looking at the specs, it's a good camera. But, a quality photo is just as much (if not more) about the lens.

You invest in lenses. Camera bodies will change over time (I won't even say how many bodies I've been through), but quality lenses will last much longer. So, make sure you invest in quality lenses too.

My best advice - go to a shop. Feel the camera in your hands, no matter where you buy it from. Hold it. Made sure it feels right in your hand. Some bodies feel small in your hands, some feel too light, some too heavy, some too palstic, some too metallic, etc. Just get a feel for it before you buy.

Thanks for the response, and I'm sorry to ask a silly question but how will I know what a good lense is when I'm buying one? What should I look for?

Sorry now for the real novice questions and I appreciate ye walking me through it

• Advertisement

how will I know what a good lense is when I'm buying one? What should I look for?

Research. :D Weight is also a good indicator. More glass.

What lens you want will depend a lot on what you want to photograph.

Landscapes tend to be with wider lenses. (10-35mm bracket)

People, travel, street photography, etc tend to be with a medium range lens. (24-100mm bracket)

Wildlife, sport, birds, etc, tend to be long lenses. (70-800mm bracket).

Lenses range in quality, aperture and range, and also vary in price from hundreds to thousands. You can pay as little as €100 for a 50mm f/1.8 lens, or €11k for a 400mm f/2.8 lens, or €120k for a 1200mm lens.

I would advise that you buy once and buy right, rather than buy a lens, then trade up to a better quality one later. It will cost you more in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

This'll give you an idea on sensor sizes.

Megapixels aren't all that important.

sensor-chart.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Check out that chart. You must have a really tiny thumbnail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hi,

I'm lookimg at buying my first DSLR and I'm wondering what is the best one to purchase for under €1,000?

Basically what I'm looking for is to capture scenic photos. Something similar to these?

trinidad-city-rooftops-XL.jpg17268095_202151986935436_8745468710841483264_n.jpg

I understand that the camera that captured these is probably worth well in excess of €3,000 and that there's a lot of colour touch ups added but what camera would be best at capturing images similar to those for under €1,000.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance :)

If you are looking to get images like the one above then just about any camera on the market will do that (Most will even crop the top of the spire for you) That is not really a challenging photo at all. There is plenty of light and it is a wide depth of field shot.

The problem is that you seem to have fallen into the myth that the quality of the image is down to the capabilies of the camera. The scene you have shown would look about the same out of most cameras on the market from those in phones to the top of the line medium format ones. The light in the scene is OK and there is an interesting sky. That will then have probably subjected to some processing which has increased the contrast and made the colours a bit more vivid.

If you want to get better photographs then just laying out cash on a more expensive camera is not the solution. It is like saying to become a better driver you buy a more expensive car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Would you consider second hand?

Lots of people buy the 100d type camera and then upgrade after a while to something else. Also some people want to have the latest camera and will upgrade a perfectly good camera. This could perhaps leave you with some extra money to buy a nice lens.

On lenses, just be aware that some manufacturers make different types of lenses for different types of camera. I use Canon, but cannot buy any Canon lens for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Looking at the 100D it seems like a pretty decent starter / budget camera (I was comparing it to my old 550D) which has served me for 6 years very well. Very similar spec. As has been pointed out there's nothing really that special about the photos you've linked to and a half decent point and shoot would probably do a similar job.

The big factor are the lenses. All mine are rather budget lenses that have served me well for a variety of uses. Food / Cats / Moon / Portrait ... Once you play with a higher end camera and some decent lenses you'll really start to notice the difference.

If you've got friends with DLR cameras it could worth while taking them for a test spin. Also it can be nice to be able to borrow a lens from a friend so having the same brand could be good. There's also the question of the size of the camera and how many lenses you'll be carrying around with you.

Yes I would definitely consider buying second hand, I just don't want to purchase something and then it's not what I'm looking for. I know what I want in terms of image I just don't know enough about cameras to know which one or which lense can get that.

I would be looking for something that could make the background hold it's own like this.

2c03ccd42f49b9654cb153f54ae702da.jpg

With an iphone the background always gets reduced in size, how do I keep the background large like that while keeping the foreground normal?

Again thanks for all the responses, they've been very helpful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

At the low end of things the is little difference between he cameras, canon nikon etc. The lens is far more important. ou get what you pay for most of the time, but thee are some better value lenses. Try to get a prime (no zoom) the quality is better. The 50mm f1.8 is t bst value lens around.

Also learn ligroom - that really makes the photos 'pop' more than any equipment ever can

how do I keep the background large like that while keeping the foreground normal?

Do you mean the composition? If so, a dslr will not really help you with that, but will give you more flexibility with lenses, eg a very wide lens or a zoom lens which can help you frame the shot you want. I mainly use prime lenses, which can't be zoomed at all, so you would actually have more flexibility with an iPhone.

412956.jpg

• Advertisement

412957.jpg

412958.jpg

A quick Google search suggests that they are all iPhone images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

With an iphone the background always gets reduced in size, how do I keep the background large like that while keeping the foreground normal?
    Sounds like you are talking about lens compression:

https://www.slrlounge.com/lens-compression/

A mobile would have a wide angle lens, so you'd be getting more of the background in the frame, making it appear smaller and further away. A longer focal length from telefocal focal lengths would bring the background in.

For what you described, Any camera with a zoom lens would suit your needs(even a point and shoot). A DSLR or any interchangeable lens camera is more versatile, but it really depends if you need the extra capabilities a dslr would offer.

The camera market is going through transition at the moment, and dslr isn't always the best option for the enthusiast. I'd more advocate going mirrorless unless you specifically require the features of a dslr. For the most part they are smaller and lighter (until you get into the really expensive stuff), so easier to carry with you. The quality of micro four third cameras is great now (Olympus and Panasonic), and probably half the size of a 100d in some cases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You will probably not get what you want from just buying a new camera until you know more about the process. Putting down cash is the easy part but gaining the knowledge to use the equipment is the hard bit.

If you really want to start to get better photographs then consider joining a local camera club or else buy a good book. The book I like is "Mastering Exposure by David Nightingale". When you have a better understanding you will know the gear that you want/need.

Also what you were looking at in the post about the background is due to a long focal length and telephoto compression.

OSiriS wrote: »
    Sounds like you are talking about lens compression:

https://www.slrlounge.com/lens-compression/

That's exactly what I'm talking about, would it be possible to get that with a bridge camera? If not then what lense would I need for a dslr?

Thanks again

A bridge camera is more than adequate.

I would look for one which has a zoom of about 300mm (equiv) or more on the long side. Superzooms are available in Bridge Cameras as they have physically smaller sensor sizes.

CabanSail wrote: »
    A bridge camera is more than adequate.

I would look for one which has a zoom of about 300mm (equiv) or more on the long side. Superzooms are available in Bridge Cameras as they have physically smaller sensor sizes.

Do they lose any quality with the zoom or are the the same as using telephoto compression in a dslr?

It depends on the camera for the quality but the leading brands do not sell poor cameras.

Telephoto Compression is not a function of a camera, it is due to maths and optics.

This diagram will illustrate what is happening.

026-telephotoIlustration_post.jpg

This is the result in an actual set of photo's

wntlines.jpg

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    It depends on the camera for the quality but the leading brands do not sell poor cameras.

Telephoto Compression is not a function of a camera, it is due to maths and optics.

This diagram will illustrate what is happening.

026-telephotoIlustration_post.jpg

This is the result in an actual set of photo's

wntlines.jpg

That is quite possibly the best reply I've received on here...couldn't break it down any simpler for a novice like myself. Thank you very much for that.

So basically a bridge camera will do the exact same as a dslr for this purpose.

Advertisement