Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sliding pocket doors....good/bad?

• 25-03-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Getting some renovations done at home and we were thinking of getting the sliding pocket doors between sitting room and dining room.

After speaking to the contractor he explained that they are not such a good job in that the doors eventually warp and become misaligned. Also he said that the stud wall between the 2 rooms will have to be widened by about 100mm or so to accommodate the frame. Not really ideal as we don't want to lose space albeit only 100mm.

Anyone experience with these doors and is it true about them warping plus bigger stud wall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I put a sliding door in my utility room to gain space. I love it!

I would heartily recommend a pocket door particularly in rooms that are tight for space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

It will be a double sliding door just to clarify...so if they warp they will not align properly. Anyone have info on installation and if the stud wall will have to be widened for the frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Wailin wrote: »
    It will be a double sliding door just to clarify...so if they warp they will not align properly. Anyone have info on installation and if the stud wall will have to be widened for the frame?

Mine hasn't warped - it has to align with the other side of the wall where it fits in to the other pocket when it is closed.

Why would a pocket/sliding door warp anymore than any other door?

Mine hasn't warped - it has to align with the other side of the wall where it fits in to the other pocket when it is closed.

Why would a pocket/sliding door warp anymore than any other door?

Wood tends to warp naturally. Not so noticeable on standard doors because they catch with the door frame when closed.

With double doors they don't slot into the pocket when closed so potential to warp.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We got one a few months ago in our en suite bathroom as its tight with a standard door. We have a door frame it 'pockets' into, leaving virtually no gap. It looks great and silent. Got some the doors&floors fellas in Crumlin. Highly recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I put a sliding door in my utility room to gain space. I love it!

I would heartily recommend a pocket door particularly in rooms that are tight for space.
    I second this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have an older house with pocket doors and there is one problem if you don't do it right. You need an access point for the runners. They will at some point break and if you make it so they are sealed in the wall you are in trouble. You might need in 20 years or 2 you don't know.
    The best option is to put in a shelf feature on one side to give access. Can be done very decoratively or simple your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wood tends to warp naturally. Not so noticeable on standard doors because they catch with the door frame when closed.

With double doors they don't slot into the pocket when closed so potential to warp.

Most off the shelf interior doors are of engineered / laminated construction, when top hung from a rail they are unlikely to warp

Thanks for replies all. We are not going to go with it as we will lose 100mm in the sitting room....doesnt sound like much but will make an obvious difference. Plus, as one poster already mentioned, will be a nightmare to fix if the rollers come off behind a sealed and plastered wall. Would be the perfect solution otherwise :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Thanks for replies all. We are not going to go with it as we will lose 100mm in the sitting room....doesnt sound like much but will make an obvious difference. Plus, as one poster already mentioned, will be a nightmare to fix if the rollers come off behind a sealed and plastered wall. Would be the perfect solution otherwise :(

Would say they are a much better solution, if starting from scratch, in a new build or extension, rather than in an existing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 dos101

I'm thinking of having pocket doors installed in two locations at my place. Does anyone have a rough idea how much these cost to have installed? Any recommendations for an installer? Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

dos101 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of having pocket doors installed in two locations at my place. Does anyone have a rough idea how much these cost to have installed? Any recommendations for an installer? Thanks!

We got a basic door and fitter for around 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flinchwhip

We got a basic door and fitter for around 250.

What work did the fitter have to do, did you have the "pocket" for the door already in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sacramental

Would anyone recommend any particular company for pocket doors?just from personal experience if any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Bump

Advertisement