Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Guys, thinking of getting the 2018 model pre-owned in the UK in the new year.

New to the EV scene so there's a lot that I need to figure out, apologies if it is in the wrong thread, maybe/hopefully it's just a case of pointing me in the right direction.

1) Model recommendations, anything to watch out for etc?

Acenta, N-Connecta, Tekna are the models from lowest to highest. There's also the launch version, 2.zero or something.
    Here's a list of the models and specs. UK Specs

2) Is the extra money for the 2018 worth it? I really like the look of it compared to the old model but it will cost a bit more, is the tech a lot more advanced etc.

By all accounts, yes.
    There are somethings that people don't like, eg. half/half analogue/digital dashboard.
    There are other things that are a backward step ie. #rapidgate.*
    But excellent advancements like ePedal and ProPilot.
    3) Any idea what price the preowned in the UK will be come Jan, one of the guys in here was telling me that the UK car year is sept to apr so I migth be waiting until then I guess?

How long is a piece of string. I reckon ~ £22k.
    Your friend is right regarding the UK car year, so it might be worth hanging on. Then again, it mightn't!
    4) Home carge point. What do I need to know.

Again, how long is a piece of string.
    Tethered/Untethered.
    Budget.
    Installation required.
    Loads of factors.

* - #rapidgate is the big drawback of the L40. It doesn't have any sort of active battery temperature management, so the battery is prone to getting warm/hot.
    If the battery temperature rises, through driving/charging/ambient temperature, the software reduced the charging speed of the car to protect the battery. The higher the temp, the slower the charge. 22kW per hour has been observed in the UK, from a potential maximum of 50kW. It incrementally drops down to that level though. So it might go 44, 33, 22.
    It normally comes into play if you're doing hundreds of kilometres in a single journey, so not suited to regular motorway users (get an Ioniq for that).
    But if you're a "normal" driver, #rapidgate will rarely/never be encountered.

Here's a video I posted the other day. Worth a watch.

unkel wrote: »
    If you don't depend on public fast chargers, there are no issues.

So why do you think all L40 drivers are going to clog up the network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Hi Guys, thinking of getting the 2018 model pre-owned in the UK in the new year.

New to the EV scene so there's a lot that I need to figure out, apologies if it is in the wrong thread, maybe/hopefully it's just a case of pointing me in the right direction.

1) Model recommendations, anything to watch out for etc?

2) Is the extra money for the 2018 worth it? I really like the look of it compared to the old model but it will cost a bit more, is the tech a lot more advanced etc.

3) Any idea what price the preowned in the UK will be come Jan, one of the guys in here was telling me that the UK car year is sept to apr so I migth be waiting until then I guess?

4) Home carge point. What do I need to know.

Appreciate any help you can give.

// gary

Hiya gary,
    Have both sides for you here, after one drive in my 2018 the brother bought a 2016 L30 tekna for the wife - she loves it.

1. Model, depend on money, but i ended up with an SVE/Tekna, favorite items in this model is full led lights high and low beam (but halogen fogs - really :mad:), the leather seats seem more supportive and comfortable both on 2018 and 2016 version. Propilot - you'll either love it or not bother - if you do motorway driving its brilliant.

2. The 2018 model looks so much better, the tech in terms of carplay etc. inside is great (carplay ios12 can do waze and google maps now). 2018 model is faster and obviously longer range (3 secs to 62 faster- gti off the lights)

3. No idea sorry

4. Home charger - essentially a rolec or a zappi, rolec good solid charger 32amp and get a meter in it if you want to know how much of your night rate your car does. Zappi, clever more complicated but does away with need for priority switch if you have electric shower. Seai grant 600euro back after install with photos and electrician report etc. You'll probably pay around 850 to 900euro for a rolec install depending on distance etc. I installed my own cable as i had a 25m run!

My personal advise at present as we are late in the year is to wait until next year if looking at new or even old, allow the 60kwh leafs/niros etc come out and see how the market for L40 etc. changes.

I had no choice in when i had to change as in my old car was on last legs with repairs due but also got a trade in value for it that next year would have not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Soarer wrote: »
    So why do you think all L40 drivers are going to clog up the network?

It's not the L40 drivers. The network is already clogged up. Now as you say yourself, it's not so much of an issue if there is one, even two L24 or Ioniq charging in front of you, you might have to wait 30 minutes. Or 60 minutes pretty much worst case scenario. But if there is an L40 that is also making the trip from Dublin to Kerry and it needs (almost) a full charge, you are talking 60-90 minutes, maybe 2 hours. Hundreds of these L40s were sold in July / August alone. If there are 3 of them ahead of you at the fast charger between Dublin and Kerry (not unrealistic during next summers school holidays), you are stuck overnight.

Just looked it up. Over 300 L40 sold in Ireland in July alone :eek:

The Leafs alone upped the total number of EVs on the road in Ireland by 10%. In one month :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It's not the L40 drivers. The network is already clogged up. Now as you say yourself, it's not so much of an issue if there is one, even two L24 or Ioniq charging in front of you, you might have to wait 30 minutes. Or 60 minutes pretty much worst case scenario. But if there is an L40 that is also making the trip from Dublin to Kerry and it needs (almost) a full charge, you are talking 60-90 minutes, maybe 2 hours. Hundreds of these L40s were sold in July / August alone. If there are 3 of them ahead of you at the fast charger between Dublin and Kerry (not unrealistic during next summers school holidays), you are stuck overnight.

I see why you might be concerned but I don't think that's all that likely. I haven't encountered anything like that yet in my few months of EV driving - even with all the L40s around. Don't most people top up enough to safely reach the next charger or final destination? Plus, if some knobhead is hogging an FCP for the best part of an hour, I don't think other people will necessarily stick around that long - hopefully shortening that queue.

The network isn't perfect and some people are inconsiderate a$$holes but don't let that stop you taking your family on a longer trip!

Look at the sales figures. EV usage is exploding and the public charging network is imploding. My local FCP (the busiest in Ireland) has been out of action for a month now (for CCS - CHAdeMO is fine) and the ESB are making excuses that the manufacturer has been swapping out boards for the last few weeks, but they haven't found the problem yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just looked it up. Over 300 L40 sold in Ireland in July alone :eek:

The Leafs alone upped the total number of EVs on the road in Ireland by 10%. In one month :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Just goes to show how many people actually want an EV when they can be purchased.
    Leafs are in showrooms now and you pretty much arrive and drive away.

They may not be perfect but by god they are selling like hotcakes compared to any other EVs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

How many people would be prepared to stop for 90 to 120 minutes to charge their own car on a trip from Kerry to Dublin not to mind be prepared to wait behind 2 others doing the same thing? Whatever about being randomly caught up in this scenario and having no choice but actually planning a trip that required this kind of stop off in a car costing €30k is pure madness! .. you'd be better off on a stream train!

I done a couple of Louth Cork trips (350km each way) in an L30 and there was only ever one L24 charging before me. There's no way in hell I would head off on a journey knowing that I would require a 90+ minute stop off each way even if travelling on my own! Life's too short!

• Advertisement

Funny you say that. I'd say most L40 owners would not have that much of a problem with a 90 minute stopover for a charge on a long trip on their holidays. To be honest, I'd be like that myself. What's 90 minutes a few times a year? Take your family for a nice lunch, bribe them with some ice cream, let them have a go at the shops, let them buy some magazines or other sh1t. I would have no problem there

The problem reveals itself when there are 2 or 3 other families like yours ahead in the queue :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Funny you say that. I'd say most L40 owners would not have that much of a problem with a 90 minute stopover for a charge on a long trip on their holidays. To be honest, I'd be like that myself. What's 90 minutes a few times a year? Take your family for a nice lunch, bribe them with some ice cream, let them have a go at the shops, let them buy some magazines or other sh1t. I would have no problem there

The problem reveals itself when there are 2 or 3 other families like yours ahead in the queue :eek:

I can see why is might be less of a problem if it is a once or twice a year thing and you were stopping at a location with a 'shopping mall' early on a fine summers day heading off on holidays rather than a maybe more realistic scenario of a petrol station in the rain (maybe even late evening / night on way home with school / work the following day with tired cranky kids and maybe even other half!!) with a fast food restaurant in the middle of nowhere. A rather substantial shudder just passed up my spine!!!

Proper scaremongering.

The odds of it happening are very small.

Proper scaremongering.

It's not scaremongering, at best it is sensationalising by taking a small risk and making it look more likely than it is.

There is a chance any of us could be behind a rapidgated leaf, stuck for 1.5 hours as it sips 22kW and roasts itself. We could also be behind a model S, charging at 50kW on the chademo for 1.5 hours.

Small chance, but looking at the sales numbers for the L40 the chance is getting higher and higher as the months go by

Maybe the odds were small in the summer of 2017. The odds will be much higher in the summer of 2019. Chances are the number of EVs has doubled by then with no significant improvement in the ESB network (at best)

Enough for me to no longer risk a trip like that. Unlike creedp, I could handle a 90 minute wait in bad circumstances. You can plan for that if you know it's coming. But one 4, 5 or 6 hour unexpected wait and my family would demand the EV to go and I wouldn't blame them

You can hope and pray it won't happen. That's like sticking your head in the sand. It will happen. It already might have. I've already seen queues of 4 EVs for one single fast charger and that was before the explosion of EV sales this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

In the last week I've done 3 trips over 350kms each. All same day return journeys, and all done with 2 fast charges, mostly different chargers. Of the six fast charges, I encountered no broken chargers, a queue of 2 Leafs was the worst I had to wait and the first was just finished, this was Waterford. Applegreen M1 north and south were available, Naas had one before me with less than 15 minutes wait. Coynes Cross, no waiting.

I don't seem to have problems with fast chargers, now, the slow chargers are a different story. I regularly go into Wexford town where there are 4 double pillars. One has only one parking space and one has had one side faulty for the bones of a year. Six months ago, I would have had no problems getting on to a charger in Wexford. Now, 9 times out of 10 the chargers are all busy. PHEVs seem to be getting more popular as well.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not scaremongering, at best it is sensationalising by taking a small risk and making it look more likely than it is.

There is a chance any of us could be behind a rapidgated leaf, stuck for 1.5 hours as it sips 22kW and roasts itself. We could also be behind a model S, charging at 50kW on the chademo for 1.5 hours.

Small chance, but looking at the sales numbers for the L40 the chance is getting higher and higher as the months go by

I agree with you ELM327 it is sensationalising it, it could happen but it doesn't. Also I see Unkel has moved from 2 to 3 hours to 4,5 or 6 hours! Of course it could happen, as pointed out Teslas have a habbit of charging at chademo's also and their big batteries take time. We have to assume that the infrastructure will grow as the market for it grows, the next year will be great for EV's and in the meantime I'm loving fueling at home for 90% of the time and enjoying the ride. :D

We have to assume that the infrastructure will grow as the market for it grows

We have to assume it? LOL! The number of EVs has doubled in the last 2 years. The public charging infrastructure has gone backwards. Who is growing the infrastructure?

I envy your optimism, but it is not based on reality.

The only concrete infrastructure improvements that seem to be coming our way are from Ionity (Nissan Leafs can not use this network)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

We have to assume that the infrastructure will grow as the market for it grows, the next year will be great for EV's and in the meantime I'm loving fueling at home for 90% of the time and enjoying the ride. :D

I don't blame you for being enthusiastic,driving an EV is a wonderful experience and most of the time it's trouble-free.

But I wouldn't assume that the infrastructure will improve.I've been driving a 24kw Leaf since early 2015 and my sense is that it has actually got worse since then,while the demand has greatly increased.In 2015 it was rare to meet someone at a charger and when you did it was almost enjoyable talking cars with them.Now,not so much.Despite all the cars Nissan is moving,there appear to be no plans to increase the coverage of Chademo chargers.

Don't get me wrong,driving electric is a joy most of the time, but driving beyond range of my home charger has become a pain.With your 40kw Leaf you're in a better position of course

We have to assume it? LOL! The number of EVs has doubled in the last 2 years. The public charging infrastructure has gone backwards. Who is growing the infrastructure?

I envy your optimism, but it is not based on reality.

The only concrete infrastructure improvements that seem to be coming our way are from Ionity (Nissan Leafs can not use this network)

Well you're either a glass half empty, glass half full or an engineer. I'll go with the capitalist ideal that market dictates, there maybe trouble while the sales of EV's go up quickly, someone always sees an opportunity to make money so Ionity or not Chademo is not going away for some time (in fact from my readings of boards/plugshare the CCS adapters/boards are more troublesome than the chademos)

Ok this is per wiki so pince of salt with this.

Ionity Stations Europe
    2017 planned 20 open 0
    2018 planned 100 open so far 7
    2020 planned 400

They plan plenty but are having difficulty delivering, no doubt they will eventually succeed.

Don't knock the ecars network yet (ok ok it wont be best in class for future) but in nearly every station there is a blank space for a second multi head unit that could essentially double what we have now. Additionally places like Kildare Village are putting in charge stations (ok slow but at 22kw not bad).

If Nissan is smart they will possibly do one of three things, one open up the chademo to cheaper licencing to encourage installs, future leafs/nissans to keep two ports but instead of just chademo and ac, chademo and ccs (it could utilise all heads then) or link in with Tesla (unlikely) as they can use chademo maybe Nissan can avail of superchargers.

I'll go with the capitalist ideal that market dictates, there maybe trouble while the sales of EV's go up quickly

Good luck with that! I can't see anyone interested in setting up a network of CHAdeMO chargers to operate them commercially (for profit)

The Ionity chargers might not be here yet, but 3 planning permissions (for the 9 planned stations) have already been lodged. If they get their permission confused, we will conjure up a protest :D

• Advertisement

Good luck with that! I can't see anyone interested in setting up a network of CHAdeMO chargers to operate them commercially (for profit)

The Ionity chargers might not be here yet, but 3 planning permissions (for the 9 planned stations) have already been lodged. If they get their permission confused, we will conjure up a protest :D

I'm with you Unkel, ev is definitely the future, all are good, in fact i would of loved just one head, but if we learned anything (betamax, vhs etc.) manufacturers/companies are about maximizing profit and dont really care about the customer unless looking like you care = more profit.

We all need to stick together and get a full infrastructure going - ccs/chademo/ac, minimize all walls for entrants to the market (other than maybe forget the apps etc and allow direct payment at charge point).

While we're at it maybe ESB can start to increase the standard house fuse amperage in builds or god forbid make a decision for 3 phase being the future.

I'm with you Unkel, ev is definitely the future, all are good, in fact i would of loved just one head, but if we learned anything (betamax, vhs etc.) manufacturers/companies are about maximizing profit and dont really care about the customer unless looking like you care = more profit.

We all need to stick together and get a full infrastructure going - ccs/chademo/ac, minimize all walls for entrants to the market (other than maybe forget the apps etc and allow direct payment at charge point).

While we're at it maybe ESB can start to increase the standard house fuse amperage in builds or god forbid make a decision for 3 phase being the future.

3 phase 11kW is already commonplace in certain continental countries (germany mainly). In the US they don't have 3 phase but you can get home chargers up to 80a installed (aimed at Tesla mainly). We're behind the 8 ball here. We had the best network in 2012-2013 but we're now one of the laughing stocks. If it wasn't free no one would use it at all.

Totally agree with mandated contactless payment instead of apps.

We all need to stick together and get a full infrastructure going - ccs/chademo/ac, minimize all walls for entrants to the market

Agreed. And I'd be happy to see my tax money going towards the public charging system. For AC / CCS and CHAdeMo :)

Didn't the ESB get something like 10 million from last budget for improving / expanding the fast charging network? That was nearly a year ago!

I know a few CHAdeMO only fast chargers have been replaced with triple heads since then, which is an improvement (for CCS and AC users) but we need a nationwide network of fast chargers with all of them, or at least the busiest ones, having several chargers per site. Until we do, there will be problems and they will get worse :(

Agreed. And I'd be happy to see my tax money going towards the public charging system. For AC / CCS and CHAdeMo :)

Didn't the ESB get something like 10 million from last budget for improving / expanding the fast charging network? That was nearly a year ago!

I know a few CHAdeMO only fast chargers have been replaced with triple heads since then, which is an improvement (for CCS and AC users) but we need a nationwide network of fast chargers with all of them, or at least the busiest ones, having several chargers per site. Until we do, there will be problems and they will get worse :(
    The 10 million was a headline getting figure.
    It included SEAI €5k grant, the home charger grant as well.
    I'd say it's long gone with the few charger replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

€10m was the total allocated for EV initiaitves from the budget and was a €5m increase from the previous budget.

I'm sure some of it has gone to eCars to run the existing network but they were supposed to install a whole load of new chargers. The few upgrades that have occurred is not it.

Didn't know that. Are you sure? Say 1200 new EV @5,000 each this year is 6 million plus say 800 PHEV @2,500 each is 2 million

Add 1200 + 800 + say 800 second hand imported EV and PHEV = 2800 * 600 home charger subsidy and that's another 1.7 million and with the state having to subsidise the cheaper tolls.........

...... the ten million is gone. We did well to get 3 or 4 "upgrades" from that from a fast charger that can charge one car at a time to another fast charger that can also only charge one car at a time :mad:

KCross wrote: »
    €10m was the total allocated for EV initiaitves from the budget and was a €5m increase from the previous budget.

I'm sure some of it has gone to eCars to run the existing network but they were supposed to install a whole load of new chargers. The few upgrades that have occurred is not it.
    It is running EV initiaitives... just not installing a rake load of new chargers which would be nigh on impossible without breaching EU state aid rules anyway. It's doing the SEAI grants, the VRT reductions, the tolls, the home chargers, probably some amount allocated to BIK.

The pilot project has ended and no new chargers (or minimal) will be installed until the network is sold as per the CRU decision.

Didn't know that. Are you sure? Say 1200 new EV @5,000 each this year is 6 million plus say 800 PHEV @2,500 each is 2 million

Add 1200 + 800 + say 800 second hand imported EV and PHEV = 2800 * 600 home charger subsidy and that's another 1.7 million and with the state having to subsidise the cheaper tolls.........

...... the ten million is gone. We did well to get 3 or 4 "upgrades" from that from a fast charger that can charge one car at a time to another fast charger that can also only charge one car at a time :mad:
    Sure? No I'm not sure.
    But speaking privately with some individuals involved with the fund, combined with the inability of the government to publicly state where the 10million has gone, would confirm my suspicions.

Shouldn't be too hard for someone to work it out from publicly available information

That said, it is not possible the above also includes the VRT reductions. That in itself would cost well over 5 million, possibly close to 10 taking into account there are VRT reductions on second hand imports, but not SEAI grants...

Shouldn't be too hard for someone to work it out from publicly available information

That said, it is not possible the above also includes the VRT reductions. That in itself would cost well over 5 million, possibly close to 10 taking into account there are VRT reductions on second hand imports, but not SEAI grants...
    My mistake, not the VRT grant.
    I'd wager that the taxi grant was included though....... and a quick google doesn't help me to find where the 10 million went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

My mistake, not the VRT grant.
    I'd wager that the taxi grant was included though....... and a quick google doesn't help me to find where the 10 million went

What about the BIK allowance? On each 100k Tesla company car that is a govt investment of 15,000 per year.

• Advertisement

Casati wrote: »
    What about the BIK allowance? On each 100k Tesla company car that is a govt investment of 15,000 per year.
    I'm only guessing of course, I'm not saying this is proven or anything ... but we most certainly have not seen the €10 million invested in chargers and the new budget is in just over a week

Well if we had a government that could actually connect the dots the carbon tax increases should directly go to incentivising every eco type item that will help reduce carbon - ev's, infrastructure (build a grid themselves and rent to all), solar pv, wind, maybe even a battery install to harness the wind etc.

In other words use our taxes smartly and in a way that people see the benefits, both at the same time using a stick but giving a carrot.

It is running EV initiaitives... just not installing a rake load of new chargers which would be nigh on impossible without breaching EU state aid rules anyway. It's doing the SEAI grants, the VRT reductions, the tolls, the home chargers, probably some amount allocated to BIK.

They specifically said some of it was for new rapids so I dont know about the state aid rules point you make.

The point I was making is that the budget for EV initiatives in 2017 was €5m which included SEAI grant, VRT etc. It was doubled in the 2018 budget to €10m so an extra €5m was available for "EV stuff".

The Taxi grant would be out of the DTTAS budget (who also got an increased budget for 2018) and not the DCCAE budget which is where the €10m is.

Clearly we dont have new chargers on the ground so I dont know where the extra €5m went to.

Its very possible it was just never spent because they couldnt get everything lined up.

VRT isnt a spend though. Its money forgone by revenue. The €10m is money they had to spend.

Casati wrote: »

They estimated that would cost €500k in their budget literature so small money.

I showed some quotes from the budget last year...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104945389&postcount=172

Another one here:
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/speeches/Pages/Minister-Denis-Naughten-announces-details-of-Department's-2018-budget.aspx

They specifically said some of it was for new rapids so I dont know about the state aid rules point you make.

The point I was making is that the budget for EV initiatives in 2017 was €5m which included SEAI grant, VRT etc. It was doubled in the 2018 budget to €10m so an extra €5m was available for "EV stuff".

The Taxi grant would be out of the DTTAS budget (who also got an increased budget for 2018) and not the DCCAE budget which is where the €10m is.

Clearly we dont have new chargers on the ground so I dont know where the extra €5m went to.

Its very possible it was just never spent because they couldnt get everything lined up.

VRT isnt a spend though. Its money forgone by revenue. The €10m is money they had to spend.

They estimated that would cost €500k in their budget literature so small money.

I showed some quotes from the budget last year...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104945389&postcount=172

Another one here:
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/speeches/Pages/Minister-Denis-Naughten-announces-details-of-Department's-2018-budget.aspx
    They may have said it was for new chargers but the government cannot fund the chargers under the state aid rules as it counts as state aid towards the semi state network operator ecars.

I'd hazard a guess that they are skirting around the rules by using the funds for replacement/upkeep only until the network is sold as mandated by the CRU decision paper.

Considering the number of interested parties that wrote submissions (including several established energy companies) I don't think that the sale of the network to esb is going to be the foregone conclusion most folks think it will.

Seriously lads.

Can we stick to the L40?

This must be one of the most congested, off topic threads on Boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Seen my first l40 today and it was a taxi. Was nearly gonna flag him down for a spin

Nolars wrote: »
    Seen my first l40 today and it was a taxi. Was nearly gonna flag him down for a spin

I've a better plan for you. Ring your local Nissan dealer and book a test drive. You will get to drive the car yourself and it won't cost you anything :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

grogi wrote: »
    That is better. Yet why not just directly face the problem and increase VRT by 2.5%/year for next four years for all diesel cars? And allowing petrol costs for VAT refund.

Does not hurt current owners, does not hurt business and logistics - but does put brakes on sales...

We're getting there :) Only by 1%, but yey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Advertising Standards Agency in the UK have found against Nissan re the charging speed claims.

Theyve told Nissan to make it clearer in advertising regarding full nature of charge speed variation.

The ASA still regarded the newer claim of 20 to 80 percent in 60 mins as misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

latest?cb=20121205194057

Old diesel wrote: »
    Advertising Standards Agency in the UK have found against Nissan re the charging speed claims.

Theyve told Nissan to make it clearer in advertising regarding full nature of charge speed variation.

The ASA still regarded the newer claim of 20 to 80 percent in 60 mins as misleading.

Wonder if that'll involve refunds or compensation or something?

Delighted that they have finally been made to face the reality of their lies and BS.
    Hopefully they have to compensate every owner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Zero chance of any compensation or anything similar in my opinion.

They just have to change their wording.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Zero chance of any compensation or anything similar in my opinion.

They just have to change their wording.
    Hopefully the new wording is 20-80% between 30 minutes and 2 hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,
    I look in on this thread on the odd occasion so apologies for my lack of knowledge.
    It was my, perhaps misguided, belief that the chargers that I see in forecourts, outside some factories and along the side of the road, are compatible with ALL EV's.
    However based on my reading of the past few posts, this does not seem to be the case.
    Can someone clarify this?

Also, how many of these cars can be charged at a house that does not have a specific charging point and what are the issues here?

Thanks in advance, and I note that this is not specifically a Leaf post so please feel free to move to a more appropriate thread mods.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I look in on this thread on the odd occasion so apologies for my lack of knowledge.
    It was my, perhaps misguided, belief that the chargers that I see in forecourts, outside some factories and along the side of the road, are compatible with ALL EV's.
    However based on my reading of the past few posts, this does not seem to be the case.
    Can someone clarify this?

Also, how many of these cars can be charged at a house that does not have a specific charging point and what are the issues here?

Thanks in advance, and I note that this is not specifically a Leaf post so please feel free to move to a more appropriate thread mods.

The public charge points can be viewed here:
    https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

The green ones are slow chargers and can be used by every EV.

The blue ones are the rapid chargers and are a mixed bag.
    There are two main rapid charge cables on these... ChaDeMo and CCS.

Cars come with either ChaDeMo or CCS. The Leaf is ChaDeMo and all the chargers support that. Newer cars like the eNiro, Ioniq etc come with CCS and most of the chargers have CCS, but not all.

All EV's can be charged at home if you have off street parking. You can use a standard 3-pin socket if you wish but thats slow. A proper charge point is recommended and there is a €600 grant to install one which makes it close to free to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You can use a standard 3-pin socket if you wish but thats slow

To expand on this, my 2014 Leaf would take almost 10 hours to charge to 100% from flat.

Given that the likes of the new Kona and e-Niro have 3 times the usable capacity of my Leaf, charging them on a 3-pin plug would be a long oul wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thanks for the clarification.

I suppose I was asking about charging over a 3 pin plug because a lot of the time you can put in a charge point in your own house but if you are going on a long drive somewhere, it's likely the destination will not have a charge point but if you are there overnight etc, then charging using a 3 pin plug to charge up for the return trip is at least viable.

kippy wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification.

I suppose I was asking about charging over a 3 pin plug because a lot of the time you can put in a charge point in your own house but if you are going on a long drive somewhere, it's likely the destination will not have a charge point but if you are there overnight etc, then charging using a 3 pin plug to charge up for the return trip is at least viable.

The 3-pin is fine for that scenario but for long term use a proper charge point at your house is the way to go.... particularly since its almost free with the grant.

It charges quicker and less messing around with cables and extension leads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Hi all,
    Was checking this thread out as I was hoping to get a Hyundai Kona for a company car but unfortunately it is not within our budget. 

The 2018 leaf is within the budget however I have worries about the range. I need to head from Collooney Sligo to Cellbridge once per week and return a few days later (~ 190km one way). On the brochure I have been provided it specs the current 2018 model to have 270kmh range (I assume this is with the EPA range @ 243km)

My question is this, is the current Leaf capable of making that trip in Winter (standard national road (N4) turning to motor way around Mullingar (M4)) The part of N4 around Sligo would have a few hilly parts but nothing major.  I was checking out the ESB charging map and was thinking I may need to stop at Enfield Service station (45KM CHAdeMO charging point) on the M4 and charge there for 30 mins to complete my journey. 

I have been checking out some videos regarding the leaf and come across a video where a guy tested the range of the Leaf in British Columbia where the Leaf struggled badly (albeit in wintery conditions with a lot of driving on hilly roads). Obviously not a perfect comparison but is this something I would come to expect from the car including the long charge times due to the lack of TMS.  The lack of active battery cooling seems to be a real drawback for this car. (link below). Wondering is the lower battery capacity Hyundai Ioniq easier to live with in terms of the time spent waiting for it to charge (given the Ioniq has TMS, Ioniq is within budget also).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvjkSAlv0ng

Apart from that long commute I wouldn't really need the Leaf for any other routine long journeys.

Wonder would it be worth waiting for the 2019 Leaf to come out, does anybody know if there will be a 2019 Leaf even? Link below seems to suggest it will but not until late next year.
    https://electrek.co/2018/01/04/nissan-leaf-2019-specs-range-charging/

Also with the ETVI scheme for tolls where the toll is 50% of what a petrol/diesel vehicles are , do you need to set up a toll tag for that?

Sorry about all the questions, just wondering if the 2018 leaf is easy to live with for the commute I have each week. 

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement