Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Really Elm, "fanboy", play the ball not the man.

I have already said I own an L40, I knew of the possible issues around rapidgate, I drive my car, there are reductions in charge kw on second fast chargers.

The reality is there is no 1-2 hours (for me anyway), and Nissan was caught because they were not clear about the possibility of longer charge times than 60mins in certain circumstances.

Everybody needs to stop giving out about different EV's they all have their advantages and flaws.

Heres one of each

L40
    - lot of car for price, boot size and a lovely drive
    - possible rapidgate

EGolf
    - solid construction, looks like normal car, comfortable
    - high price

Ioniq
    - great motorway distance, new chargers on the way with ionity
    - rear visability, boot a little small, not a fan of the seats

i3
    - looks futuristic and rear wheel drive
    - high price, seats 4 and weird doors

Can we at least try to move on the conversation here and if posting in 2018 Leaf how about letting those that wish to know more or are driving one and want to ask questions have a resource as opposed the same item over and over again.

Thanks (i may have overstepped in the last paragraph but I'm just starting to get fed up on this posting when it should have a more varied discussion)

I'll give it a start - any L40 driver having difficulties with the emergency braking when passing other cars that maybe turning out of the lane you are in and car decides that the car in front is still there when its already gone?
    If you're getting in a huff about the term "fanboy" then perhaps the wonders of the internet are perhaps a little beyond your realm of suitable interaction.

My post was clear and factual, a riposte of sorts to your denigration of Unkle's perfectly valid points about L40 and rapidgate.

If you've bought the car fully aware of rapidgate (and I hope to god for your sake you have) then you should not be defending the indefensible.

I'm not trying to "have a go" at you, I don't know you from Adam but I'm not going to participate in a love in for an L40, an EV that you have to fettle to get it to work.

For an example of my appreciation of oddity EVs, I'd love a fluence EV. A post here in the past worked out that it would be quicker to cycle to galway from Dublin than it would to take a Fluence EV. But I love it despite its flaws and ridiculous inherent issues (lack of fast charging). The difference is I'm not telling people that state it can't fast charge that they are "scaremongering" for providing factual information.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    4:15 to do a journey that should take 3:00. So basically totally unsuitable for long journeys.

You can't have a few kids in the back etc and tag on that additional time. And that is if everything is working.

And what do you do if the next charging point is also out of order?

That article is really scary in terms of EV usability.

Scary because it is accurately true.
    Travelling beyond the range of your EV at this moment in time is a risk. You cannot be time dependent.

And that's due to the crap network, not the cars.

unkel wrote: »
    That's no good to the Leaf though. And that is the only widely available budget EV you can buy in this country. The whole uptake of EVs is under threat to get even slower once this public charging time bomb explodes

I can already see the news articles "I bought an electric vehicle and had to wait 5 hours to charge" :(

I don't care about the leaf, I care about myself avoiding a single point of failure charger in use for 2 hours by a rapidgated L40. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I have been toying with the idea of an EV for the past few months, really tempted. But the better half simply says that its worth it to wait a few more years. The technology will continue to improve for a start.

But that article really points out a major flaw with the current setup. One of the key benefits of the current petrol/diesel is the infrastructure. You can basically travel anyway and be pretty certain of not running out. Anybody on a motorway with a flashing fuel gauge knows the stress of wondering if you are going to make the make petrol station. Add to that that even if you make it you could be stuck for hours.

I totally agree that the cars, in as much as I can ascertain, aren't the problem. It is the lack of infrastructure. And it will only get worse as more EV's enter the market.

The government are going to treat this the same as the broadband roll out, no urgency and no real understanding. They need to invest in a proper infrastructure now to avoid stopping the revolution before it gets going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd say the chances of getting stuck behind 3 L40s is fairly high in busy areas.

The chances of getting stuck behind 3 of them suffering from rapidgate is extremely low though...

Mins you even one of them experiencing rapidgate would be as bad as 3 who aren't.

I've been saying for ages, the public charging network is getting less and less fit for purpose and that (along with rapidgate) is why I wouldn't buy a L40.

And believe me, with the crazy prices being mooted for the Kona and e-Niro I have gone back and given full consideration to the L40 as a stop gap option for a few years.

Just can't do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you're getting in a huff about the term "fanboy" then perhaps the wonders of the internet are perhaps a little beyond your realm of suitable interaction.

My post was clear and factual, a riposte of sorts to your denigration of Unkle's perfectly valid points about L40 and rapidgate.

If you've bought the car fully aware of rapidgate (and I hope to god for your sake you have) then you should not be defending the indefensible.

I'm not trying to "have a go" at you, I don't know you from Adam but I'm not going to participate in a love in for an L40, an EV that you have to fettle to get it to work.

For an example of my appreciation of oddity EVs, I'd love a fluence EV. A post here in the past worked out that it would be quicker to cycle to galway from Dublin than it would to take a Fluence EV. But I love it despite its flaws and ridiculous inherent issues (lack of fast charging). The difference is I'm not telling people that state it can't fast charge that they are "scaremongering" for providing factual information.

Elm, I'm not in a "Huff" seriously grow up. I am in no love in for a L40 either. I considered all EV's of the time prior to purchasing the L40.

Yes Nissan should be held to account, but at the same time you need to be less negative as to what is a good EV.

Also I don't have to "fettle" the leaf to get to work, I have previously stated I do an 80km commute with 50/50 motorway, i can go at full whack if needed at any time.

• Advertisement

Elm, I'm not in a "Huff" seriously grow up. I am in no love in for a L40 either. I considered all EV's of the time prior to purchasing the L40.

Yes Nissan should be held to account, but at the same time you need to be less negative as to what is a good EV.

Also I don't have to "fettle" the leaf to get to work, I have previously stated I do an 80km commute with 50/50 motorway, i can go at full whack if needed at any time.
    LOL
    Really Elm, "fanboy", play the ball not the man.

I have already said I own an L40, I knew of the possible issues around rapidgate, I drive my car, there are reductions in charge kw on second fast chargers.

The reality is there is no 1-2 hours (for me anyway), and Nissan was caught because they were not clear about the possibility of longer charge times than 60mins in certain circumstances.

Everybody needs to stop giving out about different EV's they all have their advantages and flaws.

Heres one of each

L40
    - lot of car for price, boot size and a lovely drive
    - possible rapidgate

EGolf
    - solid construction, looks like normal car, comfortable
    - high price

Ioniq
    - great motorway distance, new chargers on the way with ionity
    - rear visability, boot a little small, not a fan of the seats

i3
    - looks futuristic and rear wheel drive
    - high price, seats 4 and weird doors

Can we at least try to move on the conversation here and if posting in 2018 Leaf how about letting those that wish to know more or are driving one and want to ask questions have a resource as opposed the same item over and over again.

Thanks (i may have overstepped in the last paragraph but I'm just starting to get fed up on this posting when it should have a more varied discussion)

I'll give it a start - any L40 driver having difficulties with the emergency braking when passing other cars that maybe turning out of the lane you are in and car decides that the car in front is still there when its already gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

KCross wrote: »
    You'd probably have to drive at ~100km/h to be sure in winter.
    The TMS side of things wont matter in this particular case because you will be starting out at 100% and getting to your destination without charging.

If you do want to stop to charge on the way it would only be a splash and dash so again rapidgate would not come into play.

After that its down to whether you can get your hands on a s/h Ioniq (somewhat difficult) or just buy a new Leaf (should be easy to do).

Get a Leaf on loan for a w/end and try the commute. Thats the only true way to satisfy yourself.
    Hi
    When you say just buy a new Leaf is that because the new Leafs dont have the rapidgate issue or do you mean buy a 2019 Leaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Hi
    When you say just buy a new Leaf is that because the new Leafs dont have the rapidgate issue or do you mean buy a 2019 Leaf?

The new Leaf (2018 model) has the rapidgate issue, but based on the journey you described rapidgate won't be a problem for you.The lack of a motorway to Sligo is a big help here: even in winter if you stick at about 100km/h on the motorway and at the speed limit for the remainder you should be fine.In the event you do need a charge just for comfort it should only be a very short one.

This assumes your leaving home with 100%. I assume you can charge at the other end?

Hi

The new Leaf (2018 model) has the rapidgate issue, but based on the journey you described rapidgate won't be a problem for you.The lack of a motorway to Sligo is a big help here: even in winter if you stick at about 100km/h on the motorway and at the speed limit for the remainder you should be fine.In the event you do need a charge just for comfort it should only be a very short one.

This assumes your leaving home with 100%. I assume you can charge at the other end?
    At present (according to ESB charging map) there is a 22KW charger in Cellbridge. At the house in Cellbridge it would just be a 3 pin plug job. 

If I went electric would get the fast charger setup at the house in Sligo.  How long would it take to charge a Leaf from nearly flat on a 22KW charging point?

Hi

At present (according to ESB charging map) there is a 22KW charger in Cellbridge. At the house in Cellbridge it would just be a 3 pin plug job. 

If I went electric would get the fast charger setup at the house in Sligo.  How long would it take to charge a Leaf from nearly flat on a 22KW charging point?

• Advertisement

Get both an Ioniq and a Leaf on loan to check the route and then decide for yourself what you prefer. You seem to have done your research well, but I wonder do you know that the public network has both CHAdeMO and CCS fast charging, but this network is not in a good state and is already getting congested? And that there is a private network coming that only has CCS charging (so no Leaf can charge there)? Also you can only charge 1 car at a time at the public charging network. And you will be able to charge 6 cars at a time at the private network

Also if you do stop, a "fast" charge in a Leaf from 20-80% on the current network takes 1-2 hours* and the same charge for the same range in Ioniq takes just 20 minutes (and less than 15 minutes on above private network)

* the advertising standards commission in the UK found the 1 hour for the charge that Nissan advertised misleading. It could take a lot longer. See posts above.

As KCross rightly said, if you never need a fast charge, then these slow charge times of the Leaf (google #rapidgate) and the CHAdeMO charging system and the state of the public charging network are not relevant. But if you do, Leaf wouldn not be a good choice. Neither Leaf nor Ioniq can do the 190km in winter at 120km/h on a charge. You can make it in the Leaf at about 100km/h and in Ioniq at about 110km/h rough guesses
    So looked into to some of your suggestions (Rapidgate, Charging types, etc) and it looks like the Ioniq while having less range and less spec then the Leaf seems to have more flexibility and speed at the charging points. 

In general it looks like I'm a year too early for electrics. But for now Ioniq looks like the better choice in terms of its charging speed. Will continue to look into the two cars. 

Realistically there is no other competitor at present with the same bang for buck as the Leaf or Ioniq (Apart from the Chloe which I think looks terrible). The one thing that seems strange to me is that I can pick up a showroom Leaf with I'm guessing a paint color nobody wants right now or spec an SVE Leaf now and get one in January which is something I cannot do for an Ioniq (from my inquiries if I ordered an Ioniq now I think the earliest I would get it would be in late March).

Get both an Ioniq and a Leaf on loan to check the route and then decide for yourself what you prefer. You seem to have done your research well, but I wonder do you know that the public network has both CHAdeMO and CCS fast charging, but this network is not in a good state and is already getting congested? And that there is a private network coming that only has CCS charging (so no Leaf can charge there)? Also you can only charge 1 car at a time at the public charging network. And you will be able to charge 6 cars at a time at the private network

Also if you do stop, a "fast" charge in a Leaf from 20-80% on the current network takes 1-2 hours* and the same charge for the same range in Ioniq takes just 20 minutes (and less than 15 minutes on above private network)

* the advertising standards commission in the UK found the 1 hour for the charge that Nissan advertised misleading. It could take a lot longer. See posts above.

As KCross rightly said, if you never need a fast charge, then these slow charge times of the Leaf (google #rapidgate) and the CHAdeMO charging system and the state of the public charging network are not relevant. But if you do, Leaf wouldn not be a good choice. Neither Leaf nor Ioniq can do the 190km in winter at 120km/h on a charge. You can make it in the Leaf at about 100km/h and in Ioniq at about 110km/h rough guesses
    So looked into to some of your suggestions (Rapidgate, Charging types, etc) and it looks like the Ioniq while having less range and less spec then the Leaf seems to have more flexibility and speed at the charging points. 

In general it looks like I'm a year too early for electrics. But for now Ioniq looks like the better choice in terms of its charging speed. Will continue to look into the two cars. 

Realistically there is no other competitor at present with the same bang for buck as the Leaf or Ioniq (Apart from the Chloe which I think looks terrible). The one thing that seems strange to me is that I can pick up a showroom Leaf with I'm guessing a paint color nobody wants right now or spec an SVE Leaf now and get one in January which is something I cannot do for an Ioniq (from my inquiries if I ordered an Ioniq now I think the earliest I would get it would be in late March).

unkel wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Not sure of the exact time but it should charge from empty in under 8 hours on a 22kw charger (you would only be able to charge at 6.6kw).If the charger is the one at Hazelhatch it's quite reliable but not the most convenient unless you live near or are taking the train.A granny cable (3-pin plug) will help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

B'town this evening

463689.jpg

Two blue lights solid, one flashing. Charger was showing 25kW. Guessing the figures here, but maybe roughly 80% SOC? And if he arrived fairly empty, he was charging for roughly an hour at that stage?

Came back nearly an hour later. So car probably charging for the guts of 2 hours at that stage. Still two blue lights solid, one flashing. And here is how fast it was charging

463690.jpg

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Waited for another 15 minutes, to see if the owner was coming back. He wasn't to be seen, so I was about to get into my car. Then the owner arrived. He had his missus and a baby with him, so I could control myself. Otherwise I would have had a very, very robust discussion with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Wow.
    Nearly 3 pages since I last checked the thread earlier today.
    Let me guess....
    Ioniq owners bitching and moaning about the L40, while talking up the Ioniq?
    Zzzzzzzzz.

As for your post above Unkel, how do you know how long he was charging for? Just randomly pulling 2 hours out your a$$. He could've pulled up literally 2 minutes before you!

Not condoning his actions btw. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a new EV owner, and didn't understand throttling towards 100%, etc.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if someone is going to post blinded fanboy rubbish it's going to be met in kind.

That's right, kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So, have they started to discount the Leaf 2 yet? what they selling at these days?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So, have they started to discount the Leaf 2 yet? what they selling at these days?

Hopefully soon.

Ex demo Tekna models can be got between £23-£24k from time to time.

Soarer wrote: »
    As for your post above Unkel, how do you know how long he was charging for? Just randomly pulling 2 hours out your a$$.

I don't know for sure. I never claimed I did. But he is hardly going to plug it in when it is 80% charged? And then leave it plugged in for an hour and 20 minutes for it to reach 99%?

Far more likely he did indeed have it plugged in to the fast charger for at least two hours, possibly more

cars that take over 2 hours to charge if you don't switch them off yourself + ignorant owners + poorly maintained network where only 1 car can charge at a time = recipe for disaster

I can't honestly recommend any EV to anybody at the moment unless I'm convinced they will not have to use the public charging network :(

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I can't honestly recommend any EV to anybody at the moment unless I'm convinced they will not have to use the public charging network :(

I read this thread (and forum) a lot back in the first couple of months of this year while deciding whether or not to buy the L40.

One of the things I decided was pretty much the above - if buying I needed to be happy running the car off my house charger for > 95% of my use (and any public charging was at my own risk! Hair loss likely...).

I think we badly need a pay-to-use public charging infrastructure - not very informed on this - why don't the fuel stations provide this???

In my own world, so far, I've been able to stick to my home charger or 3 pin plug at my destination for juice.

Doing over 300km tomorrow and going to chance the Leaf rather than the Skoda diesel - first foray into public charging ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I read this thread (and forum) a lot back in the first couple of months of this year while deciding whether or not to buy the L40.

One of the things I decided was pretty much the above - if buying I needed to be happy running the car off my house charger for > 95% of my use (and any public charging was at my own risk! Hair loss likely...).

I think we badly need a pay-to-use public charging infrastructure - not very informed on this - why don't the fuel stations provide this???

In my own world, so far, I've been able to stick to my home charger or 3 pin plug at my destination for juice.

Doing over 300km tomorrow and going to chance the Leaf rather than the Skoda diesel - first foray into public charging ahoy!

The pay-to-use system will never come in while public charging is free. What is the point when your competition is free? if you invest in pay-to-use you need as many customer as possible. How can you do that when potentially down the road a charger is free, so people will check that first and only use the paid system if the free one is blocked....not a great business model to invest in....

The Ionity system will be in place because you have high end customer like Audi etc using it. Tesla is the same....

The pay-to-use is currently been stopped because the government departments can't decide what to do with the free network.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some People would pay for fast charging and to skip the queue.

A charge of €0.50 per minute would certainly mean the end of imbeciles like 181D36303 hogging the fast charger doing 2kW :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

B'town this evening

Two blue lights solid, one flashing. Charger was showing 25kW. Guessing the figures here, but maybe roughly 80% SOC? And if he arrived fairly empty, he was charging for roughly an hour at that stage?

Came back nearly an hour later. So car probably charging for the guts of 2 hours at that stage. Still two blue lights solid, one flashing. And here is how fast it was charging

Waited for another 15 minutes, to see if the owner was coming back. He wasn't to be seen, so I was about to get into my car. Then the owner arrived. He had his missus and a baby with him, so I could control myself. Otherwise I would have had a very, very robust discussion with him

2 solid lights and one flashing means he was at 67% or greater.

At 2kW he was probably at 97%+ so he effectively used the rapid to charge to 100%. What a dick.

Did you say anything to him? Did he acknowledge you at all?

Even Tesla charge you for overstaying at their chargers now. People like this guy have no consideration and never will. A pay to use system is the only way to stop that behavior.

imo, the software in the rapid itself should auto disconnect the charge session when the charge rate drops below a certain threshold(maybe 20kW). If someone really needs to get to 100% then have an SCP next to it that they can swap to but dont hold up a rapid delivering 2kW! Mental.

2 solid lights and one flashing means he was at 67% or greater.

Aye, that would generically apply to all EVs with 3 blue lights :)

Given that he was charging at 25kW when I got there first, what does that say about the SOC? Surely someone must have a chart that will give us a good indicator? My own guess was about 80% for the L40. Ioniq still does 25kW at close to 90%
    At 2kW he was probably at 97%+ so he effectively used the rapid to charge to 100%. What a dick.

Did you say anything to him? Did he acknowledge you at all?

I didn't need the charge to get home, but I was furious all the same that the was such an ignorant prick. I didn't want a heated confrontation as his wife and baby were there, I only asked him how long was he charging. To which he said 20 minutes which was a blatant lie as I had been parked there for about an hour and 15 minutes at that stage. And, again I can't prove this, but it is unlikely he hooked up at 80% so he could well have been there for 2-2.5hours. I told him he was only charging at 2kW hogging up the fast charger and that he wasn't doing the EV community any favours and then I left.

Given that he was charging at 25kW when I got there first, what does that say about the SOC? Surely someone must have a chart that will give us a good indicator? My own guess was about 80% for the L40. Ioniq still does 25kW at close to 90%

Here is a video showing the charge % vs time (excluding rapidgate of course!)
    20-80% takes 32mins... just as a side topic! :)

https://youtu.be/C0HvpbyAm0A?t=117

So, it looks like he was at ~85% when you arrived and at 2kW he was probably close to 99%.

I told him he was only charging at 2kW hogging up the fast charger and that he wasn't doing the EV community any favours and then I left.

At least you said that much. No point in having a heated debate as you dont know what kind of person you are dealing with but a polite word of "thats poor form" and walk away was spot on in this case.

He might ignore it but it might also make him a little less comfortable at being a prick the next time.

Actually, come to think of it, the 25kW you are looking at is what the charger is consuming, not what the car is taking.
    So, knock another 6-10% off that, so he was probably closer to 90% when you arrived.

Actually, come to think of it, the 25kW you are looking at is what the charger is consuming, not what the car is taking.
    So, knock another 6-10% off that, so he was probably closer to 90% when you arrived.

Thanks for the vid! I had done the sums, but I have to change them now based on that! :p

Looks like he was a local spending a few hours at the shops, so most likely no previous fast charge that day, no #rapidgate at all, so most likely charging as fast as the car possibly can (like in your vid)

So if he arrived with 0% then he was charging for 56 minutes by the time I arrived (90% SOC), plus the 1:20 I was there between arriving and leaving (99% SOC), so 2 hours 16 minutes. If he arrived with say 40%, he was charging for 33 minutes, plus the 1:20 I was there, so for 1 hour and 53 minutes

Either way, hogging up what is most likely the second busiest fast charger in this country for about 2 hours. With the busiest fast charger in the country out of action (for CCS) for the past 6-7 weeks. The third busiest fast charger in the country is probably Naas. I wouldn't advice anyone to even go near that one.

Great. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What is it with Leaf drivers and hogging, this lad parked at the diesel pump today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Clearly didnt want to walk across in the rain. Bad form though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What is it with Leaf drivers and hogging, this lad parked at the diesel pump today.

Ha, karma! The amount of times CPs I've wanted to use have been ICEd by VAG diesels.

Had a similar thing the other day. Wanted to get to the air pump at a busy garage. Went in the side labelled 'Entrance' but got snarled up at the pumps. People had fueled up and gone in to pay and buy spicy chicken rolls while they were at it. I was starving so said fook it, if you can't bate them join them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Apart from Bmw drivers yeah those leaf drivers are hoggers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Fitz2011

Thanks for the vid! I had done the sums, but I have to change them now based on that! :p

Looks like he was a local spending a few hours at the shops, so most likely no previous fast charge that day, no #rapidgate at all, so most likely charging as fast as the car possibly can (like in your vid)

So if he arrived with 0% then he was charging for 56 minutes by the time I arrived (90% SOC), plus the 1:20 I was there between arriving and leaving (99% SOC), so 2 hours 16 minutes. If he arrived with say 40%, he was charging for 33 minutes, plus the 1:20 I was there, so for 1 hour and 53 minutes

Either way, hogging up what is most likely the second busiest fast charger in this country for about 2 hours. With the busiest fast charger in the country out of action (for CCS) for the past 6-7 weeks. The third busiest fast charger in the country is probably Naas. I wouldn't advice anyone to even go near that one.

Great. :(

I was always under the illusion that you had to stay with your car while it fast charged. I only charge to 80% on a rapid charger or take what I need to get me home. If I’m doing a bit of shopping I’ll only charge for what I need and move it to another space. Also if I did have to leave the car for a few minutes to go get food/toilet I leave my phone number on the dash. I also monitor the charging through the app. So I know when to come back. Maybe ecars/esb should put up signage with a few general rules for people to follow. Otherwise things are going to get a lot worse with the amount of new EVs on the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Fitz2011 wrote: »
    I was always under the illusion that you had to stay with your car while it fast charged. I only charge to 80% on a rapid charger or take what I need to get me home. If I’m doing a bit of shopping I’ll only charge for what I need and move it to another space. Also if I did have to leave the car for a few minutes to go get food/toilet I leave my phone number on the dash. I also monitor the charging through the app. So I know when to come back. Maybe ecars/esb should put up signage with a few general rules for people to follow. Otherwise things are going to get a lot worse with the amount of new EVs on the road.

Fast charge your spot on.
    But the slow chargers are fair game to be left there for a couple of hours.

What car have you got?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Fast charge your spot on.
    But the slow chargers are fair game to be left there for a couple of hours.

What car have you got?

We have a 151 Nissan Leaf Sve. Unfortunately my wife gets to use it more than I do. I’ll be trade in my ice as soon as I can do 200miles on a charge. The Nissan Leaf 60 or the Kia Niro Ev are looking very interesting. I would have traded in mine for the Leaf 40 if it had a thermal management system for the battery pack. Was also concerned about the resale value in a few years once the Leaf60 is on sale. Kills me filling up and handing over €70 ago!

We have a 151 Nissan Leaf Sve. Unfortunately my wife gets to use it more than I do. I’ll be trade in my ice as soon as I can do 200miles on a charge. The Nissan Leaf 60 or the Kia Niro Ev are looking very interesting. I would have traded in mine for the Leaf 40 if it had a thermal management system for the battery pack. Was also concerned about the resale value in a few years once the Leaf60 is on sale. Kills me filling up and handing over €70 ago!

How do you monitor your fast charging while away from the car?
    Mine will not monitor while fast charging on any fast charger anywhere.

How do you monitor your fast charging while away from the car?
    Mine will not monitor while fast charging on any fast charger anywhere.

I’m using the Nissan Ev app for iPhone. (Running iOS 12 if that makes a difference) In the settings on the app I’ve enable all the notifications to come to my phone. Are you using the same app?

I’m using the Nissan Ev app for iPhone. (Running iOS 12 if that makes a difference) In the settings on the app I’ve enable all the notifications to come to my phone. Are you using the same app?

Yes, my app works perfectly but I cannot monitor fast charging.
    Maybe next time do a screen shot when connected to the fast charge point.

Yes, my app works perfectly but I cannot monitor fast charging.
    Maybe next time do a screen shot when connected to the fast charge point.

The only "monitoring" you can do of a fast charger is all the stuff I'm sure you already know about...

- email me when the charge session finishes
    - get latest SOC and notify it via the app
    - and of course all the stuff that LeafSpy does but you need to be in the car for that.

There isnt anything else really that you can do to monitor a rapid charge session.

The only "monitoring" you can do of a fast charger is all the stuff I'm sure you already know about...

- and of course all the stuff that LeafSpy does but you need to be in the car for that.

There isnt anything else really that you can do to monitor a rapid charge session.

That's what im trying to get across (badly). People post that they connect to a FCP and monitor their charge so they are back in time, but from my experience, the app does not tell you the SOC when fast charging at all.

I have to physically turn the car on to see its % or check the FCP itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's what im trying to get across (badly). People post that they connect to a FCP and monitor their charge so they are back in time, but from my experience, the app does not tell you the SOC when fast charging at all.

3 and a half years in a Leaf and I never realised that.

Mind you that's because I'm generally back at my car before it hits 80%.

I have to physically turn the car on to see its % or check the FCP itself.

The app will give you the current SoC while rapid charging though. Are you saying that doesn’t work for you? That works for me.

The app will give you the current SoC while rapid charging though. Are you saying that doesn’t work for you? That works for me.

I’ll check next time I fast charge.
    I’m positive I don’t get a current soc nor a time to full charge.

But I’ll confirm. Don’t know when I’ll be back at a FCP though.

I’ll check next time I fast charge.
    I’m positive I don’t get a current soc nor a time to full charge.

But I’ll confirm. Don’t know when I’ll be back at a FCP though.

I get remote notifications. With the details while charging .also I can check the app and see how many battery bars and how many kilometres are available while charging. I can see this on any charger. Fast, slow or on my house charger. So it’s easy to monitor the charge while away from the car. I just refresh the app and it updates. It also updates the time need to recharge to full but only charge to 80% on fast charger. I have the car set to only allow it to charge to 80% (long life battery settings or what every they call it)

• Advertisement
Advertisement