Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Autoexpress.co.uk

New Nissan Leaf teased again ahead of September reveal

Nissan says efficient aero package will give the electric Leaf a range boost when it launches next month

The new Nissan Leaf has been teased ahead of its official debut at next month's Frankfurt Motor Show, with the Japanese manufacturer promising to reveal a more efficient aerodynamic design to boost the electric car's range.

Nissan says that the aero package will allow the Leaf to travel further on a single charge, and also claims that other design features will make it more stable at high speed and less vulnerably to strong crosswinds.

The new Leaf was recently spied uncloaked and in the metal by Norway TV 2’s Broom, with a handful of grainy images giving clues about the new car’s styling. It wasn't the clearest look, but the front end of the car snapped below matches up nicely with our previous spy shots of the new Leaf, confirming a sharper face inspired by the latest Micra.

A more muscular shoulder line gives the new car greater presence, while the black roof contrasts against the white paint finish. The pictures tell us little more than we already know through spy shots, but the wait to see the car up close and uncloaked is almost over – the new Leaf’s reveal is set to take place on 6 September.

Nissan has released a series of teasers ahead of the car's debut, the latest detailing the new e-Pedal feature. The e-Pedal can be toggled on and off via a switch near the drive selector, and when switched on, Nissan says that the accelerator becomes the only pedal the driver requires for 90 per cent of their driving needs.

Many electric cars can already be driven with one pedal if the driver anticipates the road ahead, thanks to strong regenerative braking forces. Nissan’s e-Pedal system, however, is designed to take over braking roles in most situations, and means that the car automatically slows down the moment the driver takes their foot off the accelerator, all the way to a complete halt and strong enough to hold the car on a hill.

Drivers will still need to hit their anchors themselves in sudden braking situations, but for the most part it should be possible to trundle around town using just one pedal. Switch the system off and the car’s pedals behave as normal.

The e-Pedal reveal comes after confirmation that the second-generation Leaf will feature new semi-autonomous driving functions included a new automated parking system as part of the Japanese brand's ProPILOT tech.

Nissan’s ProPILOT suite of assists and semi-autonomous will enable the Leaf to drive itself on highways and motorways. At the push of a button the new Leaf will drive itself in a single lane, controlling the steering, acceleration and braking to assist the driver.

It’s the latest step in Nissan’s goal to develop autonomous vehicles. The firm promises that in the coming years the technology will offer increasing levels of autonomy, with autonomous driving in urban environment targeted as the next big step.

The teaser image released with the information shows us the new digital instrument display heading the way of the 2018 Leaf, but this isn’t our first look in the cabin thanks to a brand new batch of spy shots, capturing the new Leaf undergoing assessment by engineers in the United States.

The next-generation Nissan Leaf has already been spied testing in the United States, the pictures serving up our best look yet at Nissan’s smarter looking new electric car.

The Leaf’s rounded face has been replaced with a sharper front end, more in tune with Nissan’s conventional design language. The overall form factor of the car remains the same though, so from the side it retains its tall-roofed hatchback profile.

Our spy photographers were able to get a glimpse in the cabin too, revealing the new switchgear, dashboard and infotainment heading the way of the 2018 Leaf. A full reveal is expected at the Tokyo Motor Show later this year.

Nissan has started its launch campaign for the next-generation Leaf, ahead of an expected reveal at this year's Tokyo Motor Show. The electric family hatch is set to follow the design direction of the new Micra, and will receive a range increase over today's model.

It’s clear that the new Leaf will be influenced by the firm’s 2015 IDS concept, and will employ the design direction of the new Micra. Fewer clues are found around the back, but it is clear that new horizontal taillights are planned.

“We will have a full model change of Leaf before the end of this decade,” Shiro Nakamura, Senior Vice President, and Chief Creative Officer at Nissan, revealed exclusively to Auto Express last year. “We are ready to increase the range, 250km is not the maximum.

“We want to make Leaf the major player in the EV market. We will have updates to the design, and we will be updating the batteries. We want to expand the possibilities as much as we can.”

Matching the 500km range, which manufacturers such as Tesla and Audi have demonstrated, is also ‘not a technical problem, its cost,’ senior figures at Nissan also confirmed. A reduction in cost and increase in battery density will coincide with the arrival of the new Leaf, meaning a 300-mile range is not out of the question.

It’s likely Nissan will make a range of battery options available to buyers to help minimize the overall starting price of the model range, too.

Nissan will also look to give the Leaf a more conventional look to help broaden its appeal: “For styling, how can I say, we make it look a little bit more mainstream, because we want to grow the number,” Nakamura told us. “It will be the same package, we don’t want to change the hatchback.

“While we improve the Leaf, at the same time the charging infrastructure is improving. In a coupe of years the advantage of an EV will be much better than today.”

Nissan may have more electric family cars in the pipeline. Last year we reported that the firm could look to introducing a new electric supermini to rival the Renault Zoe in the near future.

426199515_it_s_amazing_when_nothing_holds_you_back.jpg?itok=t64xxXG6

leaf_interior_018.jpg?itok=vBKRLuDl

leaf_interior_019.jpg?itok=y__sQ5vI

leaf_interior_020.jpg?itok=TCWMerGm

leaf_interior_021.jpg?itok=Lvn56n1o

leaf_interior_022.jpg?itok=sYoJGLXj

nissan-leaf-front-2excl_0_0.jpg?itok=_7JbqR7e

nissan-leaf-excl.jpg?itok=UjjPr6Zl

nissan-leaf-rearexcl.jpg?itok=zkw-JeDe

nissan-leaf-front-2excl1.jpg?itok=OCalqEKp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    What are the figures for the new Micra?

I bet they are very similar to that, which won't be close to 0.24.

0.29, which is pretty decent in its class. With its bigger size and some further improvements, Leaf 2 could shave a few points off that. There's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think those shots make it look almost like a copy and paste of the pulsar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Looks alright I think. Especially the rear half. Front is a tiny bit meh but not bad at all. Ioniq isn't exactly a looker either tbh.

Can't wait to see full details, boot space etc. Ioniq excells in useable space and how much it can carry with rear seats folded. Fingers crossed Nissan has a response.

I'm keen to find out the charging power on DC. 250 Kms is more bearable with faster charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I'm keen to find out the charging power on DC. 250 Kms is more bearable with faster charging.

I could live with 250km, I just hope they don't put a weak ass 100bhp drivetrain in there again

Totally out then

I'll be driving a Leaf II and then a year or 2 later a model 3 passes me and nearly blows me off the road with its power

The game has moved on with Tesla, other manufacturers have to put proper drivetrains in now

Only BMW with the I3 have anything remotely close

40kwh, 150bhp Leaf II is the minimum for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

thierry14 wrote: »
    I could live with 250km, I just hope they don't put a weak ass 100bhp drivetrain in there again

Have you actually driven one?!

Leaf isn't fast but it's not slow, it has good low end power but lacks at the mid and top, this is where the I3 really makes a difference.

Leaf as 108 HP and I believe they're raising it to 120 Hp, not going to make a big difference unless they have the power spread out better so that it's not all down at lower speeds.

I3 was great for over taking, a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

100-120 hp 75-90kw is adequate for C segment family motoring, it's been in that ball park for years. As engine performance has improved, mainstream and popular versions engines in family cars haven't gotten any more powerful, engines have gotten smaller. Exclude 1.4 petrols and 1.5/1.6 diesels and see what new cars are left.

200 kph and reasonable performance joining the motorway is what people are willing to pay for.
    There are staggeringly powerful of family cars but they are limited market items.

I don't think the leaf is "weak" at mid/top end, it's just so strong from a standstill

Leaf isn't fast but it's not slow, it has good low end power but lacks at the mid and top, this is where the I3 really makes a difference.

Leaf as 108 HP and I believe they're raising it to 120 Hp, not going to make a big difference unless they have the power spread out better so that it's not all down at lower speeds.

I3 was great for over taking, a lot of fun.

Nissan should improve the power band so not as much is available low down which has to be limited on take off anyway, and more at the mid and top end. But I suspect Nissan designed it that way thinking the leaf would spend most of it's life in the city.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Have you actually driven one?!

I have

Even had colleague rolling start it against my diesel Fabia @ 50kmh to see what's it like, as it does feel nippy, but that's just a feeling

Pretty decent initial acceleration from 50kmh - 70kmh, after that it was left for dead. not even remotely comparable

I3 would be a different story, was a passenger in one, don't think my Fabia would keep up with it from a roll, very impressive

My reason for wanting Leaf II with more power

I3 level power should be minimum for Leaf II, make it desirable Nissan

Our 2008 cee'd diesel 115 hp definitely feels faster on the motorway helped by the gearbox of course.

The key difference is "on the motorway", while revs and turbo are at peak torque, the rest of the time it feels like it's got half the power of the leaf, then the Awful lag and gear changes, very frustrating actually.

The I3 power band is a lot better and it's a lot faster at higher speeds and it's lighter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have

Even had colleague rolling start it against my diesel Fabia @ 50kmh to see what's it like, as it does feel nippy, but that's just a feeling

Pretty decent initial acceleration from 50kmh - 70kmh, after that it was left for dead. not even remotely comparable

I3 would be a different story, was a passenger in one, don't think my Fabia would keep up with it from a roll, very impressive

My reason for wanting Leaf II with more power

I3 level power should be minimum for Leaf II, make it desirable Nissan

In fairness, your Fabia is remapped and modified (like mine was) so it's not a 100% fair comparison but I do get your point. The Leaf is perfect for surprising people off the line if you need to quickly cut in or change lane. But once you get up to normal speeds, most cars will be faster alright.

Lads, it's a 4 door family hatchback. Come on.

Soarer wrote: »

I know that's true

It's so easy to make EV's quick

It's not like ICE where they take loads extra fuel

You have Tesla's quicker than Ferraris and only a tiny little bit less efficient than a Leaf.

Chevy made the bolt with 200bhp and it's a little 4 door hatchback

kceire wrote: »
    In fairness, your Fabia is remapped and modified (like mine was) so it's not a 100% fair comparison but I do get your point. The Leaf is perfect for surprising people off the line if you need to quickly cut in or change lane. But once you get up to normal speeds, most cars will be faster alright.

Agree

Its a great little car the Leaf and for that first second or two it does catch alot quicker cars out, especially at lower speeds

I just think game has moved on with Tesla ( who don't make slow cars)

Nissan could easily put 150-200bhp motor in there and it wouldnt cost them anything.

It's comes across as compliance car stuff to me compared to Tesla who have scared the hell out autogiants

Leaf isn't even that bad

Zoe II has like 75bhp in a 1500kg body, no need at all for it

They could have put 200bhp in one and I would be trading my Fabia in tomorrow 😉

There's not a huge cost premium for higher power versions of the same car engine.

Renault 1.5 diesel is available in 5/6 power outputs which is in the majority a different software map which is already developed. So there is no marginal cost to offer higher power outputs. Lower power versions are for insurance and sales reasons. Get them into the car and try to upsell.

Higher power versions increase profit on the sale.
    In general the majority of people won't pay for more power.

There is a 205 bhp Megane that is only a few thousand more than a similar spec 110bhp diesel. Have you seen one on the road not owned by a dealer?

Image the phone call. I'd like to add my 17 year old onto my 200bhp car insurance......

I know that's true

It's so easy to make EV's quick

It's not like ICE where they take loads extra fuel

You have Tesla's quicker than Ferraris and only a tiny little bit less efficient than a Leaf.

Chevy made the bolt with 200bhp and it's a little 4 door hatchback

There is nothing that prevents 5 door family hatchback from being nippy.

A regular looking Astra 1.6T (of course not available in Ireland) brings ~200bhp and 0-100 kmh in 6.6s.

vauxhall-astra-297822.jpg

That does not change my perception of Leaf - it is extremely enjoyable to drive in urban environment. It lacks power on the motorway - a torque multiplier (a gearbox) would help a bit, but would make the car heavier and more complex.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone see this on FB?

• Advertisement

That's a render. If only the actual car would look that good from the front!

That the 1.6T is not imported is proof that there is small demand for a 200bhp C segment car.

There are ~500 Vauxhall Astra Turbo 200s on the roads of the uk on howmanyleft.co.uk

That's a much bigger market market and not a lot of sales to merit a Right Hand Drive version development and marketing and sales and service training.
    There is nothing that prevents 5 door family hatchback from being nippy.

A regular looking Astra 1.6T (of course not available in Ireland) brings ~200bhp and 0-100 kmh in 6.6s.

vauxhall-astra-297822.jpg

That does not change my perception of Leaf - it is extremely enjoyable to drive in urban environment. It lacks power on the motorway - a torque multiplier (a gearbox) would help a bit, but would make the car heavier and more complex.

unkel wrote: »
    That's a render. If only the actual car would look that good from the front!

It might be a render, but it's fairly exact to the spy shot from last week.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/31/next-gen-nissan-leaf-design-revealed/#jp-carousel-49028

So maybe it does look that good from the front?!

It might be a render, but it's fairly exact to the spy shot from last week.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/31/next-gen-nissan-leaf-design-revealed/#jp-carousel-49028

So maybe it does look that good from the front?!

It is a very good one. It would seem the teaser are all taken into account...

Looks are of course subjective, but I feel the new Leaf is much better looking than the old one. If Nissan can get their pricing right (base model on the road for not too far north of €25k) and there is availability, they should be onto a winner. And unlike others on here, I wouldn't be too concerned about its aerodynamics, its power or its efficiency. As long as the real life / EPA (incl motorway) range is over 250km, which by all means it sure will be.

Summary: for €25k it's a winner!

Looks are of course subjective, but I feel the new Leaf is much better looking than the old one. If Nissan can get their pricing right (base model on the road for not too far north of €25k) and there is availability, they should be onto a winner. And unlike others on here, I wouldn't be too concerned about its aerodynamics, its power or its efficiency. As long as the real life / EPA (incl motorway) range is over 250km, which by all means it sure will be.

Summary: for €25k it's a winner!

If it could do this too would be great.

I don't ask for much 😉

https://youtu.be/g6S68MYcmck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

KCross wrote: »

Lovely

Will take back everyting I said about the Leaf if they can get that on the road here for 25k and 40Kwh

Looks alot like the pulsar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A 7 seater option would be a real game changing and ideal for school runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love the term "spy shots".

I always get the image of a 007 character sneaking around with a camera, risking life and limb to get a photo of the latest car.

That looks really, really nice. Tinted rear windows and wind deflectors, and she's done.
    So that's looks covered. Just need to find out the specs, and as long as Nissan are still offering scrappage in January, I reckon I'll purchase.

Also, I'm no efficiency guru, and going by the spy shots, it's hard to tell. But why wouldn't they fill in the front grille like the Ioniq? I know it mightn't look great, but surely it'd boost the aerodynamics?

The way it's going, might be a lot of humble pie being eaten around here! ;)

• Advertisement

That looks really, really nice. Tinted rear windows and wind deflectors, and she's done.
    So that's looks covered. Just need to find out the specs, and as long as Nissan are still offering scrappage in January, I reckon I'll purchase.

Also, I'm no efficiency guru, and going by the spy shots, it's hard to tell. But why wouldn't they fill in the front grille like the Ioniq? I know it mightn't look great, but surely it'd boost the aerodynamics?

The way it's going, might be a lot of humble pie being eaten around here! ;)

The Cx might be influenced by minor details like the shape of mirrors... Impossible to tell by the pictures alone

The blurry rear end picture kinda reminds me of a DS4 or something.

Real world 230kms+, proper fast charging, and on the road for €25k, and they'll drive themselves out of the showroom!
    And probably park themselves too thanks to the ProPilot thing! ;)

Hopefully they are at least 100kW capable. 50kW is getting to be old hat, and in 1-2 years time will be starting to be deprecated. IMO.

It looks very like the new Ford Focus to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Basically an Ev pulsar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The blurry rear end picture kinda reminds me of a DS4 or something.

Real world 230kms+, proper fast charging, and on the road for €25k, and they'll drive themselves out of the showroom!
    And probably park themselves too thanks to the ProPilot thing! ;)

A car that parks itself if old news :P everyone can do that

I would be looking for a bit more after all the press it is getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

http://pushevs.com/2017/08/07/2018-nissan-leaf-first-glimpse-specs-prices/

So the configurator is up and in the wild. 40kWh and 147bhp, prices look in line with current models.
    I think we have a new leader in terms of overall package

If it starts at 29k USD, what do we reckon the MSRP is going to be here?
    €35? Very expensive if so.

I don't consider any of the offered specs to be much better than a Zoe/Ioniq. I think a 40kWh is going to be old hat shortly and unless it has >=100kW charging capability this is not a groundbreaking EV. I'd prefer an Ioniq.

As a current Leaf owner there is nothing in the new leaf that would make me want to get one. So far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't consider any of the offered specs to be much better than a Zoe/Ioniq. I think a 40kWh is going to be old hat shortly and unless it has >=100kW charging capability this is not a groundbreaking EV. I'd prefer an Ioniq.

Totally agree, charging speed will be very important. CHAdeMO tops out at 62.5kW in it's current form right?

Nice to see the bump up to 150bhp though. :)

Have to reserve judgment, pending pricing here in Ireland and range / aerodynamics and it's unfortunate it's the now obsolete chademo charging, but it looks decent and should have nice &quick acceleration :D Hope the speed limiter is set a bit higher than 144km/h this time...

• Advertisement

...and it's unfortunate it's the now obsolete chademo charging...

It's not really obsolete, just not the European standard.

And you are significantly better off in this country with Chademo due to lack of CCS. Increased charge speeds are coming with Chademo as well.

stesaurus wrote: »
    http://pushevs.com/2017/08/07/2018-nissan-leaf-first-glimpse-specs-prices/

So the configurator is up and in the wild. 40kWh and 147bhp, prices look in line with current models.
    I think we have a new leader in terms of overall package

What's a "hybrid traction battery" when it's out!?

The power bump is welcome however it seems a good bit heavier so maybe it won't seem as fast as we'd expect?

ChaDeMo is far from Obsolete, ChaDeMo II is 350 Kw capable.

I'd really be hoping for much faster charging, if efficiency is good then on 40 Kwh with about 38 usable should get over 250 kms and probably hit close to 300 Kms at 80-100 Kph.

Hyundai will install a larger battery probably for 2019 and Nissan will most likely have an upgrade then too.

147 is interesting should give useful extra power , I just hope they have the power spread out better at the mid and top.

147 is interesting should give useful extra power , I just hope they have the power spread out better at the mid and top.

It was mentioned numerous times - electric motor has a constant torque.

Thus the available power is proportional to velocity.

Yes the motor may have but the motor controller can and does manipulate how the power is transferred. Add more current and you get more torque add more voltage and you get more speed but the motor windings and gearing also play a part.

$30k represents retail price of €36k. With incentives €26.4k here (without VRT and further 5k incentive). Top it up with delivery and we end up with €27k.

$30k represents retail price of €36k.

Calculation for that?

Calculation for that?

RRP €36,002.07
    OMSP €33,121.90
    VRT €4,637.07
    VAT €5,865.00
    Net €25,500.00

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YkZNuJS6aNfSk40WLCcgueU9aEbCpgBWZIjoTLJgeQ/edit?usp=sharing

I would calculate like this, US price to Euro's. + VRT + VAT - 5 K grant and 5 K R relief = doesn't look cheap not for the top spec anyway.

• Advertisement

I would calculate like this, US price to Euro's. + VRT + VAT - 5 K grant and 5 K R relief = doesn't look cheap.

VAT is calculated on the price before the VRT:
    Accordingly, the VAT liability on the sale of a new vehicle by an authorised motor dealer is generally calculated on the VRT-exclusive amount received from the customer.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-transactions-motor-vehicles.pdf

Advertisement