Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Leaf

Comments

Not what I was referring to, what I was referring to is that if this is true then it's not as much as an update as I thought.

Electric motors can take huge amounts of peak power, especially those that are liquid cooled.

I think the existing 24 Kwh battery was rated for 90 Kw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Electric motors can take huge amounts of peak power, especially those that are liquid cooled.

Here's lonestar running their four TransWarp motors on their drag car at 10 times the rated current.

plasma and motor brushes disintegrating :D

Nice that we don't have to worry about brushes with the three-phase AC motors.

LOL DC motors are not really suited for EV use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112505_nine-things-you-should-know-about-the-2018-nissan-leaf-electric-car/page-2

Nissan engineers said the 40-kwh pack in the 2018 car uses the same form factor and connections as the earlier car's battery.

Interesting......

The electric motor that drives the 2018 Leaf's front wheels is the same one as in earlier Leafs, but Nissan has revised the control software to open up considerably more power.

So drivetrain unchanged, electronics also deemed unchanged, this is really sounding like the same OLD leaf.......

Am actually glad to hear that

Leaf motor has been very reliable

Good thing they havent changed it

150bhp is impressive then

stesaurus wrote: »
    Really good to see you on here and being positive about EV's. I remember feeling like we were banging our heads against a wall explaining the torque etc.

i3 is definitely up there in regards performance, must give you a quick spin in one some day! ;)

That would be cool :)

If your ever around limerick give me a shout

LOL DC motors are not really suited for EV use.

Brushed DC is fine for drag cars 'cause of the torque and simplicity. But regularly replacing the brushes and cooling the damn thing is a bit of a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Its a much nicer looking car than the Leaf 1, dropping the quirky looks will improve its mass appeal. That said, it doesn't really offer much over the Ioniq, which is a shame.

Ioniq 2 will be a far better buy, assuming they restyle that ridiculous grill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ioniq 2 will be a far better buy, assuming they restyle that ridiculous grill.

Aren't you forgetting about tiny little detail? Even the Ioniq 1 is rare like a unicorn. Ioniq 2 raises the bar even further...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

grogi wrote: »
    Aren't you forgetting about tiny little detail? Even the Ioniq 1 is rare like a unicorn. Ioniq 2 raises the bar even further...

Assuming Hyundai are in the business of wanting to shift more product, its no great jump to assume they are working on ways to ramp up production to meet demand.

Its hard to know what the future brings - Leaf is assembled in the UK, so whats going to happen there in 2019, and Nissans ability to deliver in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

it doesn't really offer much over the Ioniq

More range, less standard spec, similar price. And presumably you can actually get your hands on a Leaf 2 if you want one! And no, it doesn't look like the Ioniq availability will pick up soon. On the contrary, the car is proving very popular in the USA and at the moment is only for sale in select dealers in California only. It is more attractive for Hyundai to let more cars go to the USA than to make RHD cars for the UK and here. Availability of UK cars is even worse than here. And somehow Hyundai also insist on keeping half the production of the Ioniqs in South Korea. This problem is far from being solved.
    Ioniq 2 will be a far better buy

I'd say the first non-demo Ioniq 2 in Ireland will be on a 191 plate. So can't really compare with a 181 Leaf 2
    assuming they restyle that ridiculous grill.

Meh. A 1 hour €90 professionally applied wrap fixes that issue. Or get the black pack (official option) from a Hyundai dealer in another country.

• Advertisement

Hang on lads, Ioniq 2 would be a brand new model and it came out in 2016 ? seriously doubt a brand new model will be available that soon.

Assuming Hyundai are in the business of wanting to shift more product, its no great jump to assume they are working on ways to ramp up production to meet demand.
    • LG Chem are the only source for the batteries.
    • Hyundai placed their order with LG Chem two years ago and even without being on sale in all the target markets, and after closing some markets to new orders, Ioniq EV orders so far in 2017 have exceeded the total year estimates by more than 2.5X
    • With orders on the books from 28 carmakers LG Chem has no spare production capacity, they are increasing the size of the Cheongju plant by 50% and Hyundai group has bought most of the new production but the new lines are a year or so away from operation.
    • LG Group has been reluctant to give LG Chem capital or allow it to borrow for expansion without firm orders from customers for the new production. The majority of the customer base has been, frankly, under the delusion that if they need to ramp production they can buy batteries on the open market... and reluctant to sign on the dotted line when financial guarantees were required.
    • Hyundai Group's Enercell division only has battery manufacturing experience of small scale lead acid and NiMH, has no tooling or production facility suitable for lithium ion production and would need to negotiate licensing of LG Chem's chemistries and production methods
    • No batteries = no Ioniqs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Nicest video on the 2018 Leaf I have watched so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0d4wFXmsw

Stayed up last night to watch the presentation...
    Have to say that I do like both interior and exterior.
    The current Leaf was more of a "come see me, I'm electric" car drawing attention.
    The new shape is looking more like an ordinary ICE car and it's aimed to be accepted by a mass amount of people. It is expected by Nissan the sales figures to double the current.
    The front looks like a mix of a Qashkai and the new Micra. The rear - a mix of Juke, a Prius and... a Skoda Rapid hahaha. It is a lovely looking car even though my wife said today that it's ugly and that she loves the shape of our current Leaf (go figure that out, Mad_Lad...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »

Right, I agree with that, but the reality is that we do have AC in every house and I can't see the entire country changing their domestic systems to DC.
    Maybe we misunderstand each other? Maybe all you are just saying is all EV's will have DC only chargers and you will have a DC charger at home but the rest of the house will be AC as it is today?

If its just that then fine but you will still be bound by the limit of your local transformer which will still have you limited to <12kW for a standard connection. You won't be seeing 22kW DC charging at home any time soon!

And do you really need to charge overnight faster than 6.6kW. I don't think you do, unless you have a 75kWH+ car and even then its debatable whether you would need it unless you were using the full 75kWh's everyday (500+km)
    That's precisely what I am saying.
    Perhaps your home DC charging will have its own separate metered connection to the grid and can take 13kW for itself. Perhaps (shhhhh) that's how motor taxation for home charging will be implemented.

You may not need to charge faster than 6.6. But people dont need to drive 200-400km per day either, yet that is part of the demand for an EV. It's a want not a need. Up to now, people are not buying EV until the wants as well as the needs are met.

I don't see an EV in 10-15-20 years even being fitted with an AC charger.
    Like how nowadays you can't buy a combined betamax/vhs player, or even really a combined DVD/VHS. One standard always prevails.

It could be argued that DVD is on the way out aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok so the new Leaf does look nice, I will give it that. THe issue I have is they announce a new model and at same launch announce a newer model. So why would I buy the new model? Why would I not just wait till the newer model is released?

If I bought the new model then the price would drop like a rock so why not wait till newer model comes out and pick up the 40kWh one on the cheap?

In a developing tech like EVs there's always something better around the corner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok so the new Leaf does look nice, I will give it that. THe issue I have is they announce a new model and at same launch announce a newer model. So why would I buy the new model? Why would I not just wait till the newer model is released?

If I bought the new model then the price would drop like a rock so why not wait till newer model comes out and pick up the 40kWh one on the cheap?

My guess is that they are doing a Tesla on it and will seriously charge you if you want the 60kWh versus the 40kWh. car companies have been charging a lot more for big engine options forever and they will charge a lot more for bigger range electric cars.

Its amazing that on other threads most owners of EV's spend a lot of time convincing prospective EV buyers that current range isn't an issue and a 24kwh Lead should be perfect for their commute, but most of the posts about the new Leaf are concerned with range and charging time!

Why aren't you taking about 0-100kmph, mid range acceleration, handling, ride, legroom, boot space and indeed styling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't think it'll happen like that.

When the 60kWh version comes out, it'll have a premium over the 40kWh version. The 40 won't drop in price, the 60 will be more expensive.
    Just like today with the 30kWh and 24kWh. The 24 is the price, and if you want the 30, you spec it up and pay €3k for the privilege.

I reckon they announced it for people that want more than the 40kwh, but may be swayed by something else in the mean time. This way, they know what the car looks like, and they know the 60kWh is coming.

Casati wrote: »
    Its amazing that on other threads most owners of EV's spend a lot of time convincing prospective EV buyers that current range isn't an issue and a 24kwh Lead should be perfect for their commute, but most of the posts about the new Leaf are concerned with range

You have a point, Casati. But the problem with the 24kWh Leaf was that range was really extremely limiting. Like you needed 3 stops from Donegal to Dublin. Most of the owners could live with that but for most of them at times it must have been a real pain. Some owners on longish commutes even had to charge during the commute!

With the current (second) generation of EVs, that pain has largely gone away. Ioniq, Zoe 41, Leaf 2, eGolf can all do a significant range before needing a recharge. Donegal to Dublin in 1 stop. No charging every day on the commute. But I do agree that there is very little relevance going from 40kWh to 60kWh for 90% of the people. Even though most people think it is relevant to them :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Its amazing that on other threads most owners of EV's spend a lot of time convincing prospective EV buyers that current range isn't an issue and a 24kwh Lead should be perfect for their commute, but most of the posts about the new Leaf are concerned with range and charging time!

Because despite all the convincing, many people like me decided not to buy something like a 24kwh Leaf and decided to wait for a more suitable longer range vehicle. This unfortunately isn't it. It is a competitor to the Ioniq. That is good news, but it doesn't really significantly shift the goal posts.
    Why aren't you taking about 0-100kmph, mid range acceleration, handling, ride, legroom, boot space and indeed styling

Because with EV's the most important thing is still range, at least in these early days. All those are nice, but they won't significantly shift the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is correct.

The 24kWh, and moreso the 30kWh Leaf currently suits most people.

The new one....
    - looks better (subjective)
    - more standard spec
    - adds 40% more range
    - adds 37% more horsepower
    - adds 26% more torque
    - adds quicker DC charging
    - adds quicker AC charging

...and all for the same price as the current one!

My "problems" with it are...
    It's changed from Type 1 to Type 2.
    The current 30kWh Leaf would suit 95%+ of my driving. So should I try get a cheap (relatively) new one of them, even though the depreciation will be eye-watering, or get the Leaf 2, which would suit me 100%.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

unkel wrote: »
    With the current (second) generation of EVs, that pain has largely gone away. Ioniq, Zoe 41, Leaf 2, eGolf can all do a significant range before needing a recharge. Donegal to Dublin in 1 stop. No charging every day on the commute. But I do agree that there is very little relevance going from 40kWh to 60kWh for 90% of the people. Even though most people think it is relevant to them :p

I'd call these cars gen 1.5.

In my mind the original Leaf was Gen 1, took two stops to get to Cork/Limerick/etc.

The Ioniq, Leaf 2 40kWh, etc. are Gen 1.5, they take one stop to get to Cork/Limerick/etc.

Gen 2 will be cars with 300km'ish at motorway speeds. Cork/Limerick/etc. with no stops.

Or if you prefer calling them Gen 1, 2 and 3.

I don't think people wanting to get between our cities without stopping is to much of an ask. It is only 2.5 hours max driving, not particularly large distances at all and similar to what you get from most cars tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Soarer wrote: »
    Is correct.

The 24kWh, and moreso the 30kWh Leaf currently suits most people.

The new one....
    - looks better (subjective)
    - more standard spec
    - adds 40% more range
    - adds 37% more horsepower
    - adds 26% more torque
    - adds quicker DC charging
    - adds quicker AC charging

...and all for the same price as the current one!

My "problems" with it are...
    It's changed from Type 1 to Type 2.
    The current 30kWh Leaf would suit 95%+ of my driving. So should I try get a cheap (relatively) new one of them, even though the depreciation will be eye-watering, or get the Leaf 2, which would suit me 100%.

If you don't get bored with car you drive, just get a new one and forget about it. If you'd be bored after 6 months, get an older one and switch to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you wait long enough, you'll be driving your car to Mars on nothing but happy thoughts. We all need to accept that for years to come, EV tech is going to have something new and desirable just around the corner. Buying and worrying about the next big thing and then crying into ones cornflakes over depreciation is no way to live. Buy what does the job and enjoy it.

I'll be hanging onto my 141 Leaf for a long while yet. The 12 Leaf I might look at upgrading if a good opportunity comes my way and it's affordable. For now, they are both serving us very well and Leaf 2 is just window licking for me.

bk wrote: »

I don't think people wanting to get between our cities without stopping is to much of an ask.

In all of them you can travel between most of our cities without stopping. Just not between Cork and Dublin (unless you drive at silly low speeds of like 80-90km/h).

I'd be happy to call these cars gen 1.5 and the cars that can drive 250km at 120km/h gen 2. You'd need 55-60kWh to be gen 2 then though!

• Advertisement

In my mind the original Leaf was Gen 1, took two stops to get to Cork/Limerick/etc.

The Ioniq, Leaf 2 40kWh, etc. are Gen 1.5, they take one stop to get to Cork/Limerick/etc.

Gen 2 will be cars with 300km'ish at motorway speeds. Cork/Limerick/etc. with no stops.

Or if you prefer calling them Gen 1, 2 and 3.

I don't think people wanting to get between our cities without stopping is to much of an ask. It is only 2.5 hours max driving, not particularly large distances at all and similar to what you get from most cars tanks.

I dont think 300km at motorway speed is even going to be possible in the next-most generation.

We had the old cars capable of 100-150km but less on motorways. I count my 24kWh leaf in that generation. I would estimate my realistic motorway range at 80-100km. These are the Gen1 cars
    At the moment we have the ZE40/Ioniq/new leaf which will be able to do between 200-250km but not at motor way speeds. those are gen2 imo. The next step is 300-350km but not motorway speeds, these would be gen3. then the step after that - assuming linear progression - will be 350-450km non motorway and 300-350 motorway. Gen4.

In all of them you can travel between most of our cities without stopping. Just not between Cork and Dublin (unless you drive at silly low speeds of like 80-90km/h).

I'd be happy to call these cars gen 1.5 and the cars that can drive 250km at 120km/h gen 2. You'd need 55-60kWh to be gen 2 then though!

Will Leaf 2018 do Limerick to Dublin without stopping?

If the Ioniq can't manage it, I have my doubts

ELM327 wrote: »
    The next step is 300-350km but not motorway speeds, these would be gen3.

But if they can do 300 - 350km, then I assume they could do 250km at motorway speeds? That is the distance to Cork for instance.

thierry14 wrote: »

It's 204km as per google maps.
    I think (based on the released propoganda anyway) that it should do it.
    I would also believe that the Ioniq would do it. Any Ioniq owners on here to confirm/deny?

The ZE40 Zoe would do it easily.

All gen 1.5 cars can do the likes of Limerick to Dublin (about 200km) in one charge, but still not at 120km/h. But close enough.

• Advertisement

But if they can do 300 - 350km, then I assume they could do 250km at motorway speeds? That is the distance to Cork for instance.
    Yes that would be my assumption aswell.

Dublin to cork - but then what? Destination charging? charge on DC in cork? It's still one stop.

My guess is that they are doing a Tesla on it and will seriously charge you if you want the 60kWh versus the 40kWh. car companies have been charging a lot more for big engine options forever and they will charge a lot more for bigger range electric cars.

60Kwh Leaf is a waste of time if it's price is well over 30k

It's into Tesla, BMW territory then and they will have massively superior cars, not an Eco box

For 25k, 150bhp, 250km range Leaf 2018 is very competitive

As Unkel highlighted the other day most of us rarely put more than 20e diesel in the car, that will do max 250km in my diesel car

Probably get more range from the new Leaf with the same careful driving

With 150bhp and over 300nm on tap all the time, I reckon the new Leaf will be great fun to drive, very nippy, overtaking should be enjoyable

Equivalent 150bhp 2.0TDi's have brilliant overtaking/mid range grunt and I'm expecting electric 150bhp to be even better

Just hope the sales man let's me out on my own for his sake :)

How big is this Leaf?

Wife reckons it looks small, but I think it's Golf, Focus, Auris size for space in back seats/boot

There's only one step left for you, thierry14. Go and organise some 24h test drives in some of these cars. Get the wife (and children?) on board and see if it is for you. I bought my Ioniq the day after my 24h test drive :D

Dublin to cork - but then what? Destination charging? charge on DC in cork? It's still one stop.

For me, it would be destination charging.

I suspect it would be for most people. If you are travelling that distance, you are likely to be staying over night. I would doubt many would return the same day.

Of course not good enough for a travelling sales person, but probably good enough for most people. It means you aren't totally reliant on the FCP network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Yes that would be my assumption aswell.

Not that it's not relatively easy right now but "Gen 2" cars should make a return trip very easy.

Right now in the IONIQ a return trip to Dublin for me takes 1xFCP stop on the way up, 1xSCP destination charge in Dublin (to be safe) and 1xFCP stop on the way down.

With a "Gen 2" car I'm hoping to be able to do a return leg with one destination charge in Dublin while I spend a couple of hours or a night there.

It's 204km as per google maps.
    I think (based on the released propoganda anyway) that it should do it.
    I would also believe that the Ioniq would do it. Any Ioniq owners on here to confirm/deny?

The ZE40 Zoe would do it easily.

Maybe at 100kmh

At motorway speeds in summer I don't think any of them would do 204km

In winter in the rain, not a hope

BK gen 1, 1.5, 2 is pretty accurate

Travelling between cities at motorway speeds requires gen 2 of 2020 ( 50Kw Ioniq, Model 3, 60kw Leaf etc)

Would only be a few times a year I would travel between cities, so can stop and charge. Not a huge deal

Of course not good enough for a travelling sales person

For a travelling salesperson, not even the longest range Tesla is going to cut it with him being used to getting 1000km range out of his diesel :)

There's only one step left for you, thierry14. Go and organise some 24h test drives in some of these cars. Get the wife (and children?) on board and see if it is for you. I bought my Ioniq the day after my 24h test drive :D

That day is soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That's precisely what I am saying.
    Perhaps your home DC charging will have its own separate metered connection to the grid and can take 13kW for itself. Perhaps (shhhhh) that's how motor taxation for home charging will be implemented.

You may not need to charge faster than 6.6. But people dont need to drive 200-400km per day either, yet that is part of the demand for an EV. It's a want not a need. Up to now, people are not buying EV until the wants as well as the needs are met.

I don't see an EV in 10-15-20 years even being fitted with an AC charger.
    Like how nowadays you can't buy a combined betamax/vhs player, or even really a combined DVD/VHS. One standard always prevails.

It could be argued that DVD is on the way out aswell.

Fair enough. Maybe it will all be DC charging but I'd still say you will be disappointed in 10yrs time if you think that every house will be charging faster than 7kW, since you consider it very slow today. It will also make EVSE install a lot more expensive as you will have to have your own inverter.

However, the limitation will still be what the grid can provide. Another meter won't help that. If you want 11-22kW charging at home it requires an upgrade (transformer, 3-phase etc) which costs thousands. I just can't foresee that being common in 10yrs. The want/need argument will be quickly solved when people get an ESB upgrade quote! :)

I don't think 7kW is an arbitrary figure. Its used to ensure that there is still some headroom to run the rest of your house/appliances and fits perfectly for overnight charging of even the larger range EV's.

For a travelling salesperson, not even the longest range Tesla is going to cut it with him being used to getting 1000km range out of his diesel :)

Free diesel too :)

If fuel was free/almost would you drive an EV?

Don't think I would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Maybe Hydrogen for them!

KCross wrote: »
    Fair enough. Maybe it will all be DC charging but I'd still say you will be disappointed in 10yrs time if you think that every house will be charging faster than 7kW, since you consider it very slow today. It will also make EVSE install a lot more expensive as you will have to have your own inverter.

However, the limitation will still be what the grid can provide. Another meter won't help that. If you want 11-22kW charging at home it requires an upgrade (transformer, 3-phase etc) which costs thousands. I just can't foresee that being common in 10yrs. The want/need argument will be quickly solved when people get an ESB upgrade quote! :)

I don't think 7kW is an arbitrary figure. Its used to ensure that there is still some headroom to run the rest of your house/appliances and fits perfectly for overnight charging of even the larger range EV's.

I understand the grid limitation, but a separate metered connection for your DC home charger allows you to take the full ~11kW for the car. No one is talking about 22kW at home.

People equate DC charging to high speed, that's what it is mostly now, but there's no reason it can't change and supply low speed.

As I say, the only reason AC even exists in the EV world at all is because currently it is (a) ubiquitous and (b) cheaper right now to install.

DC in the long term will be cheaper due to economies of scale. I can buy a 10kW home DC charger for €4k at the moment. They are not readily available for mass market but some germans have started selling them for AC to CCS, a chademo equivalent is also available from China. I can install a slower 6kW AC unit for probably 10% of that cost. But if I have a 60/80/100kWh battery (or two EV) then perhaps charging faster is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

As Unkel highlighted the other day most of us rarely put more than 20e diesel in the car, that will do max 250km in my diesel car

I must be an exception then, drive 800km, refill, drive 800km, refill,...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Don't think I would

Oh yeah definitely. For me you can't beat the smooth drive, instant torque, pre-conditioned cabin etc etc. I never want to go back to days of sitting in traffic with a 2.2litre diesel rumbling away or doing oil changes or any of that business.

josip wrote: »

I'd say you are :)

From my observations most people put in 10/20s at a go

Don't think I would

If I could legally run a 2014 car on WVO or green diesel then of course I would! unfortunately it's not. WVO you need to pay duties to use after a certain number of miles, and green is obviously very illegal with huge fines if caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I read on this thread a while back the the new Leaf will cost €25k, is there any confirmation of this officially?

I fill up brim the neck, till I can see the fuel at the top!
    Cost me €75 the last time I brimmed the tank and that was with a quarter left. I regularly get over 1000km from a tank of fuel. I just don't drive the diesel for anything much these days unless really needed.

In this country you are! In most of the rest of Europe, most people fill up the tank every time until it is full. And top up when empty. Just like you.

From my personal observations over the past 25 years or so, the most common fill up in Ireland used to be £20 in the 90s, then it went straight to €50 when the Euro was introduced in the early 00s. And back down to €20 during the recession.

• Advertisement

I've owned a mark4 golf 150bhp.
    The leaf is quicker off the line but between 35 and 45km/h the golf will be alongside and the leaf will be trailing in the dust and smoke by 60.

Regarding acceleration the leaf is quicker for the first second (certainly feels it) but once the TDI turbo kicks in (in a 150bhp) it's away. A 90bhp passat or SDI golf would be slower by some margin at 100km/h and below.

I have never driven an i3 but Mad Lad has driven both an i3 and a leaf and from memory said the i3 was much faster.

Again these are all my opinions having owned the cars in question. I am aware it is subjective and far from empirical.

How would the new 150bhp Leaf do against a 150bhp 2.0TDi Golf I imagine

When my colleague bought his gen 1 Leaf the dealer said compare it's performance to a regular 1.6 petrol, fair enough I suppose

Gen 2 is surely now comparable to 2.0 TDi which is a massive improvement ( not many 2.0 petrols around)

In the image below it's says Leaf 2 makes 147bhp between 3k and 9k revs

Does that mean it has full bhp over that long rev range? Or am I wrong?

3k rev in a single gear box i Imagine is about 40kmh and 9k 140kmh?

So does it have full bhp on tap between 40kmh - 140kmh?

Diesels and petrols don't work like that? They only have between say 5k-7k/3k-4k revs and then change gear and repeat

[IMG][/img]https://ibb.co/cuHT3a

Advertisement