Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

unkel wrote: »
    Leave it plugged in to my very long cable. Also a solution. Blame yourself, not your charger for you are the one doing damage to yourself, cros13 :p

Oh I only use it when the other chargepoints at the house are busy. So as a result of the mix of type 1 and type 2 cars the cable can't be left plugged in.
    Normally I go with the Rolecs. And I'm looking at either BMW wallbox connects or Tesla Wall connectors for my next home because I need load sharing.

I normally use the ABL as a visitors chargepoint. I gave away two of my free installs after that to some premises I frequent.
    If you ever wonder why the chargepoint at the Dublin hackerspace is an ESB ABL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

cros13 wrote: »
    If you want to buy right now and wouldn't mind a white Ioniq you can get one of the few stock or ex-demos going around.

What would you expect to pay for an ex Demo? Pricing on carzone looks very high, identical to brand new as far as I can see.

Best to ring I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

What would you expect to pay for an ex Demo? Pricing on carzone looks very high, identical to brand new as far as I can see.

Best to ring I guess?

I'd thinkg in range of 20-22k would be a price for ex-demo or owned short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cheapest second hand Ioniq EV in the country on DoneDeal is €27,750. That's more than it costs new. The car is in short supply, so don't expect any miracles here. Getting one for €20-22k this year is not gonna happen.

And importing from the UK is more expensive again, as they don't have subsidies quite as generous as the ones here, so the cars cost more to buy in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

@unkel : Point made well. However, are delivery times improving on the Ioniq? Noticed one or two recent posters over on the Ioniq thread saying they had ordered up and the waiting period didn't seem as long...unless I misunderstood...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

@unkel : Point made well. However, are delivery times improving on the Ioniq? Noticed one or two recent posters over on the Ioniq thread saying they had ordered up and the waiting period didn't seem as long...unless I misunderstood...

Apparently a couple of black and white ones are available sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

goz83 wrote: »
    Apparently a couple of black and white ones are available sooner

is the scrappage deal still running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

is the scrappage deal still running?

Is running AGAIN...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Snap. Hyundai in Airside still saying October for next availability :eek:

On a side note, I hope the new Leaf has that black/orange ("Energy Orange") option that the new Micra has. Something oddly nice about it.

Lads this is a Leaf thread.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Lads this is a Leaf thread.... :D
    Grand car though...... ;):D:D:D:D

TjgdzW4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Maybe we should just have one big thread in this forum, every thread is about everything anyway :p

@isnottheword - your guess is as good as mine. I've picked up on availability in recent weeks mainly from posters on this forum. And from what I've gathered there does seem to be a few cars coming into the country (mainly white, some black?) but if you order your own one, it will take a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

sloppy reporting to

"Along with its new look, Nissan’s next-gen zero-emission hatch will also use an improved electric drivetrain that’s predicted to have a range of up to 340 miles"

340 km maybe but certainly not miles

Teaser PIC of Leaf II headlight.

teaser-for-2018-nissan-leaf-debuting-in-2017_100607328_l.jpg

Yup announcement due September 6th according the Norwegian EV owners... they had an event for 30,000 Leafs sold in their local market and one of the Nissan people mentioned it in the presentations.

I just want specs, don't even want to see it lol.

I could really do with a larger EV , seriously the Leaf is too small !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mad Lad, are you as tall as James Comey, or Devin Toner?

What ? lol I want luggage space, I don't like being cramped in cars either. Leaf is fine and spacious and plenty of head room. But the boot is ****, I'd say this about all hatches too by the way.

I'd like an estate.

• Advertisement

Estates are a long way down the road... too small a market right now.

SUVs will be the bulk of the 2018 crop. Nissan due to come out with an SUV too in the next 2 years.

I'd like an estate.

Nissan does not sell any estate atm, difficult to imagine they would make an EV one. What Joe Average wants are big wheelz in his SUV to drive kids to school.

I wouldn't mind an Xtrail either, at least it's got more space.

I'd love a car I can fit 2 child seats and an Adult in the rear.

Unfortunately I'll have little choice in 2018, Leaf II or Ioniq if it has more range than current. Ioniq currently has too little range advantage over the Leaf to be bothered after 3 years of 110-130 Km range.

Perhaps I could extend the Lease on the Leaf another year.

Unfortunately I'll have little choice in 2018, Leaf II or Ioniq if it has more range than current. Ioniq currently has too little range advantage over the Leaf to be bothered after 3 years of 110-130 Km range.

Perhaps I could extend the Lease on the Leaf another year.

You have said that the current Leaf covers your driving needs more than adequately... I wouldn't change it just yet.

And about fitting one big and two small people in the back - unless you go MPV route, it is very hard... None of the current events, excpet for ModelS which is seven seater, will be an improvement. Not sure about ModelX

Yes the current Leaf with work charging meets pretty much all my needs, I am seriously thinking about keeping it another year unless the new Leaf can self drive on the motorway that would be a huge deal for me especially coming off night shifts but even if I were not it would be a tremendous benefit on congesting motorways.

If Leaf II can charge faster that would be another + because I like to go for the odd drive with my two Sons sometimes when off shift.

I'll be test driving Zoe in 2 weeks hopefully which will give me an idea of how I will like a longer range EV and my guess is that I will really like the range which could encourage me to go further more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

BoatMad wrote: »
    sloppy reporting to

"Along with its new look, Nissan?s next-gen zero-emission hatch will also use an improved electric drivetrain that?s predicted to have a range of up to 340 miles"

340 km maybe but certainly not miles
    340 miles is about 550 kms which is a "nice" figure for marketing purposes. The Opel Ampera-e which has "disastrous" aerodynamics according to the designer has a NEDC range of 520 kms. I would say 550 km NEDC is very plausible for a Leaf II with a 60 kWh battery. As NEDC is the standard in Europe even if very unrealistic, it makes sense for autocar to talk about NEDC ranges (and convert from kms to miles for the British audience)

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm gonna put this link here, taken from woppers' post in the Ioniq thread. If it looks anything like the rendered image, it'll be class.

Recommended to skip forward to 1:49.

New Leaf Details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Looks far nicer than the Ioniq

Way nicer. Just don't watch the video. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Don't agree at all that it looks nicer than the Ioniq. From where it was coming from the Leaf could only have improved in terms of looks.

Ioniq still looks better than it now.

who_ru wrote: »
    Don't agree at all that it looks nicer than the Ioniq. From where it was coming from the Leaf could only have improved in terms of looks.

Ioniq still looks better than it now.

The grey plaster on the front of the Ioniq significantly takes from it's otherwise good looks. But even with a proper front, the new leaf looks nicer imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

goz83 wrote: »
    The grey plaster on the front of the Ioniq significantly takes from it's otherwise good looks. But even with a proper front, the new leaf looks nicer imo

I've seen it colour coded with a brown Ioniq and looked ok, but overall Hyundai need to do something with that front end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Kia Niro EV supposedly on the way for 2018. Though that might be the US target and not Europe?

Not sure, I just hope the interior is not too much hard plastics.

It would be cool with 40-50 Kwh and 150 Kw charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Not sure, I just hope the interior is not too much hard plastics.

It would be cool with 40-50 Kwh and 150 Kw charging.

I haven't actually been in the hybrid but assume it will have the same interior. Battery and charging is likely to be as per the ioniq. Hopefully the larger supposedly upcoming ioniq battery.

The Ioniq supports 100 Kw charging but the 28 Kwh would only charge at this rate for a very short time.

100 Kw is still far better then the 45 Kw of the 24 Kwh Leaf then slows down to about 35 Kw from 50% and then gets slower and slower as the battery % rises.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Ioniq supports 100 Kw charging but the 28 Kwh would only charge at this rate for a very short time.

100 Kw is still far better then the 45 Kw of the 24 Kwh Leaf then slows down to about 35 Kw from 50% and then gets slower and slower as the battery % rises.

It can only do 70kW and it will do it up to 80%, Nyland has a video of one going from 10% to 80% in 18 mins on a 100kW charger.

Charging Hyundai Ioniq on 100 kW CCS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The link says usable battery of 38.4 Kwh and we're discussing the looks?

38.4kwh is shlte.

On a cold wet day at motorway speed that would barely top 100 miles.

So if you had a choice between 24 (21 usable) and 38, what would you choose ?

At 120 Kph that would work out at 172 kms , however given better efficiency could work out at closer to 200 kms.

The 24 Kwh Leaf would get about 95 Kms.

If they can do it at the same price as the 30 Kwh then it would't be so bad. But this isn't going to compete against the 60 Kwh GM Bolt in the U.S, not a chance.

And Nissan's Pro Pilot is sh1te, you have to have your hand on the wheel, so wtf is the purpose of this crap ?

I'd be hoping for faster charging, with faster charging a lower Kwh becomes a lot easier to live with.

liamog wrote: »
    It can only do 70kW and it will do it up to 80%, Nyland has a video of one going from 10% to 80% in 18 mins on a 100kW charger.

Charging Hyundai Ioniq on 100 kW CCS

18 mins, I'll take that ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So if you had a choice between 24 (21 usable) and 38, what would you choose ?

? Is that a trick question?
    I'd be hoping for faster charging, with faster charging a lower Kwh becomes a lot easier to live with.

Faster charging would help. But at the end of the day EV numbers are increasing especially with the amount of Ioniqs sold. Not increasing anywhere near the rate the ESB waffled about but they are increasing.

There's not much benefit in a fast charge taking half the time if there are double the users.

The Leaf 2 was rumored to do 200 miles (real life). Then the rumours changed to 160. Now it looks like less again.

I keep hearing 42kwh rumoured as the next improvement from Hyundai. If that's correct, added to the Ioniq's superior efficiency and better looks and Nissan are really crapping the bed here.

• Advertisement

If I drove the Ioniq at 120 Kph I'd average more than the 15.3 Kwh/100 Km I did on my test drive.

Who is it here says he averages what 17.9 kwh/100 km in his Ioniq ?

Anyway if I drove the Leaf the way I did the Ioniq I'd get about 18 Kwh/100 kms giving 218 Kms. Or if I had 39 Kwh in the Ioniq I would have got 254 Kms @15.3 Kwh/100 kms.

I didn't drive the Ioniq as hard as I do the Leaf.

Anyway Leaf II is bound to be more efficient that the current gen but I'm not that interested in little box cars any more like the Ioniq or Leaf, perhaps the Niro might offer something more to my liking.

I did like that the leaf would have maybe 20 Kw more power for 100 Kw, that's nice but they could do better. 134 HP isn't going to break any records.

At this rate I could just ditch electrics for 5 years until something useful comes along and buy a 2nd hand Quattrr dsg TDI A4 Avant ! Choke on my smoke hahaha

If Hyundai have more range by Jan 2018 which is unlikely then I could consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

18 mins, I'll take that ! :)

I actually did not know that IONIQ is capable of 100kW :D

Maximum I saw was 66kW in Portlaoise FCP. I thought IONIQ is 65kW DC. my god :-]

"Incremental improvements" should be good for resale value of the current cars so not all is lost. We currently drive a 24 kWh LEAF (approx. 21.5 kWh usable) and if the new car has something like 37..38 kWh usable that is a very useful increase of 72-77 percent over the early cars. For the 30 kWh owners the situation is pretty much like 24 kWh->30 kWh jump which is not enough of an improvement to pay a large sum for.

In our case the "40 kWh Leaf" should increase the usable range of our current car from 120 km to 205 km even without efficiency improvements. If Nissan can improve over our current 15.5 kWh/100 km average, even better. The 100 kW motor will allow Nissan to fit a longer final drive so hopefully better motor efficiency combined with aero tweaks will allow the new car to at least slightly surpass the range of the current Ioniq at motorway speeds while maintaining the high roofline I like in the current Leaf. And let's hope there is a lesser size central tunnel in the new car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The video from the Pushevs article has been made private which leads me to believe it may be accurate ;)

Usable capacity of 38.4kWh with an EPA range of 241-257km.
    The EPA rate the Ioniq as 217km combined and 195km Highway which seems pretty reflective of our experience.

No word yet on if it will be able to charge faster than 50kW.

Interesting... The car sounds like a winner to me especially if the price is right and it comes just with that one battery option and not something like 27 kWh (old 30 kWh battery) as standard and with "a low low price of €3000" to upgrade to 38.4 kWh. The pushev is talking about base price of 30k which would mean Irish price from about 20k (XE) with the incentives i.e. would have potential to undercut Ioniq while having a better range.

On the other hand a leather/pro pilot equipped version matching the price of Ioniq also sounds good to me. The current model SVE with the 6.6 kW / 30 kWh upgrades is something like 32k OTR and the price including taxes without Irish incentives is north of €40.

The car will be better but could have been a lot better, for instance Nissan have still not gone with a dedicated EV platform and still using ICE conversion. Same with Hyundai really and this wastes a lot of space.

The entire middle section of the car is identical.

This isn't a new model at all really.

That what it seems to be Mad_Lad. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to use as much existing engineering to drive down the cost. Nissan will need to design a new front and A pillars to improve their rating for the small overlap crash test in US but apart from that I can't really see why they cannot use the existing bodyshell otherwise.

I would like them to fix the crashy rear suspension (it can take a lots of load though and extra load improves the ride), that floor central tunnel intrusion and crap satnav where Andoid auto could be used instead. I can't really think of other design deficiencies on the current model. Styling is matter of taste and it's "different". I'm afraid the new model will be "bland". The boot etc. seem totally adequate to me for this class of car, noise levels are fine, space inside is what would expect, handling and steering are good enough and driving experience in general is fine. Just give us more range and competitive pricing and actually build enough of them and I for one would have one no problem trading up next year.

The car will be better but could have been a lot better, for instance Nissan have still not gone with a dedicated EV platform and still using ICE conversion. Same with Hyundai really and this wastes a lot of space.

The entire middle section of the car is identical.

This isn't a new model at all really.

Yes, feels like an extensive face lifting, not a completely new model.

But hey: if it works and proofed reliable, the guts of power train get updated (bigger battery, stronger levels of regen available leading to improved efficiency) and the looks less controversial - it is good approach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

grogi wrote: »
    Yes, feels like an extensive face lifting, not a completely new model.

But hey: if it works and proofed reliable, the guts of power train get updated (bigger battery, stronger levels of regen available leading to improved efficiency) and the looks less controversial - it is good approach.

Nissan treating it like a niche market like everyone else bar Tesla, shows where priorities are

Nissan CEO said similar last week about EV's

Another wasted effort by Nissan

If VW or Ford announced the new Golf or Focus with these specs they would be slated here.

Advertisement