Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about laws for building hours in Dublin

Options
  • 25-03-2017 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

The house next door to us has been bought (was previously derelict) and builders have moved in to redo the whole place. They have torn down the back of the house and appear to be building a massive extension/rebuilding the whole back of the house.

They have been starting at 7am every morning - I think this is far too early for a residential area but according to the DCC website they seem to be within their rights.

However they are still at it today (Sat) at 5:30pm with a pneumatic drill etc. Is this allowed?

The DCC website says 8am-2pm on Saturdays for construction sites - do extensions fall under that category?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Had a similar issue last year. Check out the conditions on the approval of planning permission (assuming there was planning permission). I did, then I quoted the times allowed to the owner and his builder, no issues from then on - the builder was just taking a liberty. Blamed his sub-contractors. I implied I was keeping a log, after that they were always within the allowed times. Saturday was only allowed up to 2pm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

Find the planning application
    Click 'View Documents'
    Open the 'Final Grant Notice'
    Look at the permitted hours of building works in the conditions. It should be one of the initial conditions. 7 AM on weekdays is probably okay but, on Saturdays, it's usually only allowed up to 2 PM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mon-fri 0700-1800
    Saturday 0800-1300
    Sunday none

That's if they have planning permission.
    If they are simply renovating then planning enforcement powers are bill.

Environmental health may help as they can monitor sound levels on jobs that didn't require planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I can't find any planning permission for the property. They might be exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tusky wrote: »
    I can't find any planning permission for the property. They might be exempt?

Yes if the extension is less than 40 sq metres for a single floor rear extension it will generally be exempt...
    The following should be seen only as general guidelines;
    • Terraced and Semi-Detached Houses: If the house has not been previously extended, the floor area of the proposed extension cannot exceed 40 sq metres. This exemption also allows for extensions above ground-floor level (if the house is semi-detached or terraced, the area of the above ground extension cannot exceed 12 sq. m). This means, for a typical semi-detached house, one could have a ground floor extension of 28sq. m & 2nd floor extension of 12sq m without applying for planning permission. Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.
    • Detached Houses: As with terraced and Semi-detached above, the overall area of extension must be less than 40 sq. metres. This exemption also allows for extensions above ground floor level, the are above ground floor are cannot exceed 20 sq. m. One could therefore have a ground floor extension of 20 sq. m., and a 2nd floor of 20 sq. m. Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary..
    • Both Cases: If the proposed extension is in addition to an existing extension (post 01-10-1964), overall areas of all extensions must not be more than 40 sq. m. - including extensions which needed permission, e.g. to side of house.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/frequently-asked-questions-planning#Can%20I%20build%20an%20extension%20to%20my%20home%20without%20having%20to%20seek%20planning%20permission?

• Advertisement
Advertisement