Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the story with malicious damage and your no claims bonus?

• 25-03-2017 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

My car had its tyres slashed I believe by someone with a grudge over a parking space he has no right to use but I do . I have no enemies. I only have one suspect. So its an open and shut case really.

The question is . Would a malicious damage claim affect my no claims bonus ? Does it behave in the same way as windscreen cover for example ? Just wondering. I have a clear 5 year no claims bonus already.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you claimed yet? Unlike the windscreen cover, I don't think there is a tyre cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you claimed yet? Unlike the windscreen cover, I don't think there is a tyre cover.

No I just went to a tyre place and bought some tyres. I have fully comprehensive insurance. I seem to remember seeing malicious damage in there somewhere when I scanned through it . At the time it was only of academic interest to peruse. Its a sad world we live in for sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

No I just went to a tyre place and bought some tyres. I have fully comprehensive insurance. I seem to remember seeing malicious damage in there somewhere when I scanned through it . At the time it was only of academic interest to peruse. Its a sad world we live in for sure...

What's your excess ? Usually it's about 200 to 500 so may not be able to claim . Any type of accident or incident will cost you in long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Buy a dash cam while you're at it...it may deter a repeat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

A malicious damage incident is a standard claim, subject to your policy excess and your premium will be affected in line with whatever level of NCB protection you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

exaisle wrote: »
    Buy a dash cam while you're at it...it may deter a repeat...
    Most of them are only on when the car is on. If it's too obvious, it may get "taken".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

dev100 wrote: »
    What's your excess ? Usually it's about 200 to 500 so may not be able to claim . Any type of accident or incident will cost you in long run

My excess is zero. They actually quoted me less online for fully comp with windscreen cover and with no excess than they did for third party with a big excess. In fact anytime I tinkered online with raising the excess to see if it was cheaper , the policy offered became more expensive. Really strange. Not a good idea for them but I took it as soon as I realised. Its actually the first time I ever took out a fully comp policy instead of a third party one - because it was cheaper than a third party one :pac::D:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My excess is zero. They actually quoted me less online for fully comp with windscreen cover and with no excess than they did for third party with a big excess. In fact anytime I tinkered online with raising the excess to see if it was cheaper , the policy offered became more expensive. Really strange. Not a good idea for them but I took it as soon as I realised. Its actually the first time I ever took out a fully comp policy instead of a third party one - because it was cheaper than a third party one :pac::D:rolleyes:

A claim is still a claim however and your NCB might suffer. So might your ability to move elsewhere for cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would be crazy to make a claim for a tyre, it will cost you many times the cost of the tyre in the long run.

Advertisement