Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting chickens weed/tidy up vegetable beds?!

Options
  • 25-03-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I recently bought a house and the old owners were avid gardeners in their hay day.
    There are several raised beds around the garden and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in :)
    It seems like it's a couple of years if not more since the garden was looked after, so there is so much overgrown veggies, roots.. weeds etc.
    The beds are quite big (3 of them approx 2 meters x 5 meters each!.. though I'm not great at guessing dimensions) and I need hours and hours to clear them.

I have three lovely chickens who are a dab hand at clearing grass.. so I'm thinking, would it be a good idea to take my three ladies (in a small moveable chicken house) and let them at it!?

I don't know exactly what was grown in the beds.. (or if the owners used rotation) but I could see remnants of radishes, cabbage, giant roots of turnips and other bits)

Should I chance planting lots veggies there thsi year or focus on prepping the soil (chicken manure/fish bones/meal etc) and keep it for next year?!

Thanks ;)

Advertisement