Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post natal depression - post partum psychosis

Options
  • 25-03-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Not too sure whether this is the best forum to post so move if necessary.

We had a lovely baby girl a few months ago who is very healthy but while my wife was in hospital she was diagnosed with Post natal depression. Lucky enough though that this has had no effect on mother daughter relationship and she is doing brilliantly as a new mother.

However it was diagnosed as post partum psychosis which to be honest is very scary stuff!! Wont explain but google away and you will get the idea. It was picked up by the mid wifes so she received great care and the stay in hospital was extended.
    Had never heard of this and to be honest i was very ignorant about post natal depression. Was well aware of other problems around the birth but not prepared for the mental health effects of labour.

So recovery had been progressing relatively nicely over the last while but a bit of a wobble this week. One of things she said to the docs was whether there were any discussion groups for people who have gone through this as i think she just needs to talk to someone who got through the other side of the sickness. The docs have told her that she will recover but i think she would like to hear that from someone who is not a member of the medical profession.

So just wondering whether anyone could give some advice or tell own stories of recovery. I know may be private so even a private message would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*Mod Note*

Please do not give medical advice but do share your personal experience with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Contact a charity called Nurture - they are specfically geared towards mothers and all aspects of post-pregnancy mental health. They provide group meetings and discounted counselling.

www.nurturecharity.org

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I don't know where you live, but some of the cuidiu groups in Dublin have regular PPD meet ups

Advertisement