Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL speed when 750 metres from nearest cabinet in Kilrane Rosslare Harbour co wexfor

Options
  • 25-03-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I may be moving to rosslare harbour in co wexford, but need a very fast internet connection to work from home. An Eir sales representative told me I could get up to 100MB as the house I might be buying is in an E-Fibre area, but I was wondering what speeds I can expect ?.

After looking at this article I am a little concerned (though it is from 2013 and may be for VDSL 1)

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

It says you need to be within 300M to get the maximum speed, after 500M your speed will go down to about 60 and at 1000m will be on par with ADSL 2+ at the max 24mbps. It would be helpful if you could let me know what kind of speed I can expect at 750M.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

When i was on VDSL I was getting 65 DL being 550 to 600 m from the cabinet. I'd say you'll be in or around 45 DL.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it depends on what part of Rosslare Harbour your moving to, the southern end of the area may have FTTH already as 120 premises were passed for this recently. Check http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/, locate the home your thinking of buying and if you see a yellow line and locate east around St Helens Bay golf course then you may be in luck. If you live in the regular town part then VDSL would be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

It's in Cul Na Greine, there's a cabinet at Kilrane school and on that map there's a yellow line running down the road past the entrance to the estate, but it doesn't go into the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Topaz across the road has FTTC and FTTH live.
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Speeds of up to [font=GT-Walsheim-Bold, "Arial Bold"]1000Mb[/font] are available at your home. Speeds are indicative and may vary on installation.[/font]
    See above. Doesnt show the VDSL Prequal anymore. Digiwebs checker is down, Magnet dont show.

Wonder if OpenEir have pulled the API at the minute. 50_20 should be fine, dont count on any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

ED E wrote: »
    Topaz across the road has FTTC and FTTH live.
    See above. Doesnt show the VDSL Prequal anymore. Digiwebs checker is down, Magnet dont show.
    You can still get it with Chrome when running the number here

F12 for Dev Tools > Network tab > tick Preserve Log > run the number at the bottom of the page linked above

You'll see something like "false?context=broadband&x" as the second or third entry returned. Click it and click the "Preview" tab to see the data

412852.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

J0hnick wrote: »
    Hi,

I may be moving to rosslare harbour in co wexford, but need a very fast internet connection to work from home. An Eir sales representative told me I could get up to 100MB as the house I might be buying is in an E-Fibre area, but I was wondering what speeds I can expect ?.

After looking at this article I am a little concerned (though it is from 2013 and may be for VDSL 1)

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

It says you need to be within 300M to get the maximum speed, after 500M your speed will go down to about 60 and at 1000m will be on par with ADSL 2+ at the max 24mbps. It would be helpful if you could let me know what kind of speed I can expect at 750M.

Thanks in advance
    Hi J0hnick,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, we would be unable to guarantee speeds in a premises until a phone line is installed and goes active for us to test it for broadband. 

If you would like to PM me your eircode and full address I would be more than happy to look into this and check for more accurate speeds.

Thanks,
    Anna.

Advertisement