Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to go back?

Options
  • 25-03-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I'd like to train as a German teacher (taking Arts in UCC). I'm 25 this year, and I feel like it's a bit late to go back, I should have known what I wanted to do when I did my LC six years ago. Is it too late to start over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I'd like to train as a German teacher (taking Arts in UCC). I'm 25 this year, and I feel like it's a bit late to go back, I should have known what I wanted to do when I did my LC six years ago. Is it too late to start over?

Sorry if this comes across harsh - you're only a kid. ;)

The age isn't an issue, do your research as to how easy it is to get teaching jobs in your subjects. Apart from German what else would you teach. You'd need two minimum to get enough hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Sorry if this comes across harsh - you're only a kid. ;)

The age isn't an issue, do your research as to how easy it is to get teaching jobs in your subjects. Apart from German what else would you teach. You'd need two minimum to get enough hours.

I know the age part, but at the same time I feel like by the time I'd be finished training it would be years down the line. And my parents may berate the wasted money, time etc on my undergraduate/Masters education.

My second subject would be Irish probably. I loved languages in school so it would make sense to bring those with me.

I know the age part, but at the same time I feel like by the time I'd be finished training it would be years down the line. And my parents may berate the wasted money, time etc on my undergraduate/Masters education.

My second subject would be Irish probably. I loved languages in school so it would make sense to bring those with me.

Having Irish as another language is a good one.

Re you parents, most parents only want their children to be happy. It's very much the norm now to try out another degree, and people change careers multiple times in their careers. You're parents will be fine as long as you explain to them your reasons.

BTW, how will you pay for your degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

You sound mature enough now to know this is what you want. Advice would be to absolutely and totally go for it with both hands otherwise you'll regret it big time. I'm 32 and gone back to college since September last year studying business management and marketing. Did not do my leaving cert so it was a huge challenge to get used to and familiarise myself with third level education. Enjoying it thus far. Go for it is my advice.

Having Irish as another language is a good one.

Re you parents, most parents only want their children to be happy. It's very much the norm now to try out another degree, and people change careers multiple times in their careers. You're parents will be fine as long as you explain to them your reasons.

BTW, how will you pay for your degree?

I'd have to save. I don't qualify for a mature grant because I have a BA already. That part will take a bit of thinking and humming over.

• Advertisement

I'd have to save. I don't qualify for a mature grant because I have a BA already. That part will take a bit of thinking and humming over.

Believe me, if you save and pay for it yourself you'll put in WAY more effort. :D

Believe me, if you save and pay for it yourself you'll put in WAY more effort. :D

Oh God year, it would feel like a disservice to myself if I saved all that money and failed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

25! Christ! The world is your oyster. You can do whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

By the time you get to retirement age it will be nearly 70. So you have 40+ more years or working left to do. No way are you too young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

How is this even a question? Its never to late. 25 is exceptionally young. People go back to college all the time in their 30s and 40s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

German and Irish would be a good combination, particularly if you can get your Irish good enough to teach German through it in a Gaelscoil.

You may end up with mainly Irish on a timetable, but you would be in with a much better chance than most of getting a decent number of hours a week, instead of being stuck on low hours contracts for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm 41 and just coming to the end of the second year of my degree. Best decision I ever made, and comparatively speaking, I'm a bleeding aul fella. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I know plenty of people that had to change career in their 40s and take on more training.

Just go for it.

Yeah, I know I'm making a big deal out of what is essentially a small thing.

Now to find out how to fund it, how to get a little experience, and how to not be in the room when I tell my parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I am 45 just finished 1st year Arts in UCC. German was one of my subjects. I wasn't even the oldest in my class, and there was only 15 in it. My advice is go for it. The German dept are great..super organised. There are loads of tests throughout the year but I'm seriously thinking of taking it to degree level. BTW you can take a beginners class like I did if you haven't done it for Leaving Cert.

Advertisement