Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Edinburgh on my own for placement - advice?

Options
  • 26-03-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Hoping someone hear can give me a bit of advice. I'm 22 and it's looking likely that I'll be moving to Edinburgh in June for 6 months as part of my college placement. I'm hoping to fly over in April for an interview with the company. I'm excited as I think this will be an exciting and fresh new chapter in my life (I've never lived away from home before and I'm looking forward to get a chance to become independent) but I'm also slightly terrified as well because I am going over there knowing absolutely nobody so I'm kind of worried about feeling homesick.

The issue of accommodation is also a concern. Could anyone recommend really good websites to search for accommodation on or even good Facebook groups as I would prefer a house/flat share with other students. Part of me wonders why I'm putting myself through the stress but I know I'll never get an opportunity like this again and I'd like to go out there and make these 6 months really count. So I guess what I'm asking for is any advice on homesickness/accommodation? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would company have links to estate agents?
    Good to go early, look for flat/room before summer and new students start looking.
    Great town. You'll love it.

Depends where work is located, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Zoopla and Right Move are a couple of the big ones. Are you planning on just renting a room? If you found the right crowd that would be a good way to get to know people too. Edinburgh is a pretty friendly place and the Irish are always popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aidia

Spare Room is one that I've used before but does have a mixture of students/professionals. These ads tend to have loads of information so you should be able to spot the student flats from the professional ones. I do also know of some Facebook groups but have never used them myself. Not sure if I'm allowed to put the Facebook link in here or not but just look for 'EdinRoom' and 'Edinburgh FlatShare / Spare Rooms / House Shares / Napier by Roompik'.
    Good Luck!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Have a read of this thread for tips and links on how to find somewhere to live, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement