Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty MacBook Pro inside warranty

• 26-03-2017 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a 2015 MacBook Pro in October 2016 as I'd just started Computer Science in Uni and needed a decent laptop. I also purchased a coverplan policy since I figured I'd have the laptop for the duration of my course. Tonight when I came home from work however, I noticed the screen started to flicker and it gradually got worse and worse to the point where the laptop is running slow and occasionally freezing with the screen going fully black.

I have exams coming up and desperately need the laptop. Since the laptop is still inside warranty and it's a hardware issue (reinstalled OS, updated drivers etc, issue still there) will I be offered a replacement or a repair? And if a repair how long do you think it will take. It was purchased in PC World. Asking here as I wont be back to the town where I bought the laptop until Tuesday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You'll need to take it back to where you bought it with the receipt, they will probably send it away to an authorized repair center too assess what the problem is and if it's a fault they will decide if they will repair or replace it. It's usually a repair though.
    I don't think PC world does on site repairs but it's best to check with them when you go in. If they send it off it'll be a week or so, maybe a little bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You could also bring it to compub either. Contact Apple support and they will give you a list of authorised repair centres. They will be quicker than pc world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

If you need it back quickly go to anyof the authorised apple repair centres (on apples support webpage)

PC world are not an authorised repair centre as far as I know and will just send the laptop to one of these. Depending on how quickly they do this it could take a few days for them to even initiate the repair.

You won't be offered a replacement.

The machine will need to be diagnosed by a certified apple technician to rule out any accidental / physical damage .. liquid spill etc before warranty work can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Compu B and the other one (name escapes me) will do small jobs on site. Big work is sent to the UK. Expect a week at least.

IMO PCworld are a joke, so going direct to Apple(CompuB et al) would definitely be my preferred route.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Contact Apple Support directly. I told your situation to a family member, who works for a retailer that also sells MacBooks, and the told me that their advice to customers in your situation (within the 1 one year manufacturers warranty) is to deal directly with Apple, who will give you much quicker service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Beware of apple support. Ring the repair centre before going. They sent me to CompuB in Blanch to repair an iPhone and they don't do repairs there. They told me I would have to go to their other branches.

CompuB told me they turn away loads of people who apple send....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OP, I'd be wary of that Coverplan. If I were you I would go back and ask them who does the repairs after the one year Apple warranty is up.
    They used to sell the Coverplan, and then send people on to Apple when the 1 year had expired. Apple don't (Or at least didn't) do work on that plan, and PC World/Currys don't have people authorised to repair Apple products. Worth checking with Apple and ask PC World the question straight out. You may be entitled to a refund of the coverplan if they can't repair, or don't have someone to send it to that capable of repairing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There are a number of issues here, firstly don't bother with cover plans. You're going to be looking for the manufacturer to do you a favour, follow the advice above and try CompuB etc. If you had bought it from a decent retailer I'd have suggested trying to get a quick turnaround from them but this is DSG we're talking about, they're notorious for their crap service.

All in all I'd grab yourself something off the shelf from Amazon or other online retailer something of the non-mac ilk will be cheaper and easier to get fixed in a hurry. Once the Mac is back sell it on to recoup the outlay for another machine.

Advertisement