Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US holiday

Options
  • 26-03-2017 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of a holiday later in the year. I want to travel around a bit though.

I'm more used to getting one city in and fly home again from the same city. But this time, i want something a bit different.

How do i go about booking flights for let's say Dublin to Boston. Then Boston to LA. Then LA to Dublin.

Is something like that easy to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

The Raptor wrote: »
    I'm thinking of a holiday later in the year. I want to travel around a bit though.

I'm more used to getting one city in and fly home again from the same city. But this time, i want something a bit different.

How do i go about booking flights for let's say Dublin to Boston. Then Boston to LA. Then LA to Dublin.

You can do it, by using websites that allow Multi City selections and just put in the legs/dates you want. i.e. google flights/kayak

Theres no good way, an agent might have better tools because sometimes i find it prices at crazy prices but you might get lucky.
    A simpler/cheaper option could be to get a return to Boston and separately buy a return to LA, that of course adds an extra leg but depends on your budget and availability, you could price it at €600 in April whereas in July it would be nearer €1000.

Its not an easy task but it can work out sometimes with hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Very easy to book flights like that. Just look for the "Multi-city" or "multi-leg" option when entering flight details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

The Raptor wrote: »

Aer lingus has a multi city option when selecting. Presume most other airlines would have same.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭xlogo

Doing something similar myself but took the easier way out and used Tour America - they were brilliant and I highly recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Great, multi city is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

This is what we always do! Fly into one city, grab a hire car, start exploring national parks on way to other city! When you're doing quite long legs, such as San Francisco to Denver or Salt Lake City, there's no way around a one-way hire car drop off fee. Sometimes you can reduce it by dropping a car of in Vegas & picking up a new one but that doesn't always work out cheaper!
    We use United to fly mostly, personal preference & I prefer to sit in premium economy...long legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Did a similar trip last Sept,Started off in Washington and finished off in San Fran taking in Chicago and Reno in between.Booked the flight to Washington and return flight with Aer Lingus.I think it cost 580 euro at the time,not a bad price for direct flights i thought.
    Flew with Southwest to Chicago for 80 dollars,Hopped on a train to Reno for $100 then on to San Fran for another $50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

myate wrote: »
    When you're doing quite long legs, such as San Francisco to Denver or Salt Lake City, there's no way around a one-way hire car drop off fee. Sometimes you can reduce it by dropping a car of in Vegas & picking up a new one but that doesn't always work out cheaper!

Interesting idea because sometimes there's no extra charge between neighbouring states. It'd take a bit of research though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Done this on two occasions using different methods

1st time I flew into LA then from there to Denver and then onto NY all booked through United just using the multi city option

2nd time I flew into San Francisco onto Vegas and then home but the internal flight I booked separately to the two transatlantic ones

To be honest, I didn't find either way much better or worse than the other. Both straightforward. I'd say do book it yourself and just go with whichever way is cheapest

• Advertisement
Advertisement