Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tyre size on bike?

Options
  • 26-03-2017 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi just got a giant revolt 2 bike, and was wondering about tyre size..it came with 700x32c, but can take 700x50c .
    Just wondering what main difference is between them? Is one better for road or off road?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

spacekiwi wrote: »
    Hi just got a giant revolt 2 bike, and was wondering about tyre size..it came with 700x32c, but can take 700x50c .
    Just wondering what main difference is between them? Is one better for road or off road?
    Cheers.

Depends on your use tbh? I'd doubt you'd ever need a 50c, that's like Mountain bike of Fat bike territory! For off road use knobbly tyres would be the best and 32c to 38c would be fine. For on road use 32c is fine too and should be more "comfortable" than say a 23mm or 25mm tyre.

Rolling resistance then comes into play... a 28c Road tyre (smooth, not knobbly) is much easier to peddle, and faster. And that is leaving aside the fact that there will be tyre weight to take into the equation too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Buy yourself Vittoria hypers from planet x in 35 for a fairly cheap price. Fast and super comfy tyres. I use them on my tourer. Had the carbon bike out yesterday on 23c tyres and felt every bump

Advertisement