Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hm if it was a cliffhanger that turned out to be a fantasy that would change my opinion of the show for the worse:pac: Adn seems unlikely to me espeially as they added that rebellious rock music at the end credits. I really doubt she made it, I assumed a guard sneakily gave it to her like the one that gave offred the key in the first episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Then again this episodes ending could be a fantasy dream sequence of one of the handmaids too.

If they did that I would probably give up on the show even though I've been enjoying it immensely.

Also handy little bomb she had on her wasnt it? :pac: It looked smaller than most grenades but looked like it had the effect of a car bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

wakka12 wrote: »
    I was just rewatching that ending
    and you think all the handmaids escape by running away but I realised you can still see all the handmaids on the first floor gallery level who didnt have a chance to escape and are all sent flying back and crack the glass :(
    I hadn't noticed that! What a scene.
    Even the little moment when the circumambulating Ofglen's bonnet is brought from a blur into focus before she pauses and runs to the centre - great cinematography (if that's the term) - chilling.
    :cool:

Also handy little bomb she had on her wasnt it? :pac: It looked smaller than most grenades but looked like it had the effect of a car bomb
    That was just the detonator - the bomb was most likely strapped to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was thinking the same thing,
    thing was portable on a person's body and she was able to run. Bomb went off like an arms cache. Still imagine a lot of casualties with all that glass around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm not using tags as the thread says spoilers in the title. The bomb was strapped to her body. You can see it a bit when her cloak falls slightly open as she shows the detonator to the ground floor handmaids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hope I don't seem thick - but how does one watch season one of this legally in the ROI?

Sky have season 1 on demand box set

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

iguana wrote: »
    I'm not using tags as the thread says spoilers in the title. The bomb was strapped to her body. You can see it a bit when her cloak falls slightly open as she shows the detonator to the ground floor handmaids.

Also its not a spoiler if already aired on Rte ! I presumed the thing in her hand was a remote control too .
    Great episode and liked seeing some hint of compassion in Serena ( for all of two seconds ! ) I laughed at June taking off Aunt Lydia "We don't want to be roly polys do we dear "

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Serena is a spiteful horrible person with a split personality.

Wonder what happened to the man they didn't kill.

Thought the end would see Nick killed for trying to leave the Waterford's. He will hardly get escaping now if Pryce is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

what has stuck out for me so far in season 2 s that the actress who plays Serena Waterford is doing a phenomenal job, plays both her b#tch side and angel side really convincingly. hard for anyone to match Moss's chops but she is a star in the making.

in fact I'd say it's mainly the acting that is keeping me watching as the writing has dipped a bit imo. aunt L, fred, nick, his new wife are all played really well, and as i mentioned before Emily/ofglen/ofsteven. and janine/ofwarren too!

the pace has really slowed, usually i don't like flashbacks but the ones with serena were interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Go Ofglen 2 :)

4C892EBD00000578-5758921-image-a-44_1527018789351.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

what has stuck out for me so far in season 2 s that the actress who plays Serena Waterford is doing a phenomenal job, plays both her b#tch side and angel side really convincingly. hard for anyone to match Moss's chops but she is a star in the making.

in fact I'd say it's mainly the acting that is keeping me watching as the writing has dipped a bit imo. aunt L, fred, nick, his new wife are all played really well, and as i mentioned before Emily/ofglen/ofsteven. and janine/ofwarren too!

the pace has really slowed, usually i don't like flashbacks but the ones with serena were interesting.

Completely agree. Theres hardly been any plot development of note this season outside the first episode after she was captured, the shows strong points is its incredibly tense character relationships and amazingly well played characters

Like that scene at the crib when serena was showing offred the nursery and she asked to see her child, just one of the many incredibly beautifully acted scenes between them, its not often I compliment acting skills but it just really stands out to me in this show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Only watched the last episode this morning and wow.

I tend to binge on series these days with Netflix, so watching week to week is proving difficult. I just want to know what happens next....

The dismissiviness of Fred telling Ofglen to "go back, it's not time yet" really sums up how they view the handmaids . That last scene was incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sky have season 1 on demand box set

Found the box set in Golden discs after, cheers folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fran38

Yup that was an unbelievable ending, its like where da phuck did that come from and some kickass rock n roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTfgWegud7o

Wasnt a fan of that episode :/ Seemed a bit bleak for the sake of bleak. Not much action, plot development or character development..just sadness, like finding out Moiras wife had died(what looked like being shot..?) but no reason why it happened, how, when, much else about her, or about how Moira feels about it other than being sad really.
    Hope the finale is a strong finish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You do realise there's still another 6 episodes to go in this season, right?

You do realise there's still another 6 episodes to go in this season, right?

No I thought it was 8 episodes! For some reason on google when you type in Handmaids Tale S2 episodes it only shows it as 8 episodes so thats why I thought that . Praise be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

No I thought it was 8 episodes! For some reason on google when you type in Handmaids Tale S2 episodes it only shows it as 8 episodes so thats why I thought that . Praise be :)

13 episodes total for Season 2, so still plenty to come. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmmm... I'm not sure if this is a turning point (season 2.. doubtful) or if the writers are lulling the audience into a false sense of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m finding it very tiresome

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Wasnt a fan of that episode :/ Seemed a bit bleak for the sake of bleak. Not much action, plot development or character development..just sadness, like finding out Moiras wife had died(what looked like being shot..?) but no reason why it happened, how, when, much else about her, or about how Moira feels about it other than being sad really.

Well her wife was a 'gender traitor' so that probably had a lot to do with it - or shot on a protest or something.

Thought that was a great episode, this season is shifting focus now to June helping Serena, although presumably with her own agenda in mind.

The relationship between Serena and June has really been the high point of this season, great acting from both and really interesting territory to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I thought it interesting
    That they were quick (Gilead) to snatch back some of the handmaids from the colonies after loosing a fair few to the blast.
    Ofglen 1 looks pretty ill

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I thought it very clever how they ended last week's episode with the click of a detonator and this one with the click of a pen - both signifying a liberation of sorts.

Serena looked very comfortable sitting at the Commander's desk didn't she? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I thought it very clever how they ended last week's episode with the click of a detonator and this one with the click of a pen - both signifying a liberation of sorts.
    Good spot :pac:
    Small but powerful action
    Serena looked very comfortable sitting at the Commander's desk didn't she? :pac:
    Ha, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Two questions if anyone has read the book and knows more .I noticed there are no teenagers in Gilead , well apart from the 15 year old wife .Are teens in camps somewhere and being groomed as soldiers ?
    Also wondered how much of the US is Gilead ? Is it only a few states or is it the majority ? And why are the rest of the States not defending the people or opening borders for them? It seems only Canada is offering sanctuary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The book doesn't make any reference to teen camps or anything like it - it does refer to some of the Guardians as being teenaged boys and econowives as being teenaged girls. So, my guess is that they're still in that world but we don't see many of them onscreen - the declining birthrate wouldn't have happened overnight either so there'd be less teenagers in their society than in ours anyway...

Gilead occupies a large section of the US though it's never explicitly stated in the book how much - there are references throughout both the book and the series to "fighting in Florida" and hold-out states etc.

The wikia for the series is pretty good on the details: http://the-handmaids-tale.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_of_Gilead

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Two questions if anyone has read the book and knows more .I noticed there are no teenagers in Gilead , well apart from the 15 year old wife .Are teens in camps somewhere and being groomed as soldiers ?
    Also wondered how much of the US is Gilead ? Is it only a few states or is it the majority ? And why are the rest of the States not defending the people or opening borders for them? It seems only Canada is offering sanctuary ?

There was no mention of teenagers specifically in the book iirc and in the book Gilead seem to encompass most or nearly all of the US. In the book, you didn't get any outside perspective like you do in series with June's husband and Moira in Canada - it was told completely from the point of view of Offred/June and the insular world she was inhabiting as a Handmaid and her retelling of how Gilead came into existence.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's never made really clear in the book IIRC, but I assume that
    older children are in some sort of compound or camp getting indoctrinated and prepared for their roles that will be allocated to them by Gilead when they are older. Babies and preschoolers seem to stay with their parents.

I'd imagine that Serena's kid won't get taken away aged 7 or whatever to a compound though. Likely a different rule for the upperclass.

I don't think it's made clear in the book the geographical extent of Gilead either.

Advertisement