Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

wakka12 wrote: »
    I found it hard to watch because of how much of a hypocrite Fred is, he was ****ing the handmaid which is adultery and then he beat serena for forging his signature trying to save a babys life
    Ha, and when he arrived home and said "Martha, I missed your cooking" I was waiting for him, when he reached June, to say "Offred I missed your f***ing" :P

*I'll wash my keyboard out with soap and water* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Had to laugh at the line "Someone once said that men fear women will laugh at them, women fear men will kill them". It was Margaret Atwood who said that!

I am generally not a fan of the use of pop music in TV series but I agree, the way it closed out this episode was incredibly powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Quote of the week: 'Blessed day.' 'May the Force be with You.' Good ole Janine :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the line "Someone once said that men fear women will laugh at them, women fear men will kill them". It was Margaret Atwood who said that!

I am generally not a fan of the use of pop music in TV series but I agree, the way it closed out this episode was incredibly powerful.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I'm nearly afraid to watch in case something else horrible happens in the next scene. But I will continue to watch in the hope that someone will get some sort of revenge again against the evil of Gilead.

What letters did Nick's wife find - where they some of the letters given to June in the first series or something else? Nick needs to try to play happy family once in a while with the wife or I can see trouble ahead for him.

I suspect munchausen syndrome by proxy as well in regard to the baby.

Emily might try to do something else I feel against the Gilead going by her reaction in the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Marje wrote: »

I doubt that, I think they were using the concept of kangaroo care and how skin to skin contact can be extremely beneficial to sick babies (especially premature babies).

Never heard of the term until the missus said it when Janine was holding the baby at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The one thing that had me scratching my head was that everyone was referring to Janine as Janine, even Aunt Lydia, and not Ofwhoevershe'swithnow. How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Marje wrote: »
    I'm nearly afraid to watch in case something else horrible happens in the next scene. But I will continue to watch in the hope that someone will get some sort of revenge again against the evil of Gilead.

What letters did Nick's wife find - where they some of the letters given to June in the first series or something else? Nick needs to try to play happy family once in a while with the wife or I can see trouble ahead for him.

Emily might try to do something else I feel against the Gilead going by her reaction in the shop.

I wondered were they the letters that June had under the bath ? The baby story was ridiculous I thought , nothing found at all and then up she hops off deaths door ?
    I sit with the remote gripped in my hand in case I have to quickly change channels and I did at the horrendous Serena abuse . I found it more horrible because he subjugated her in a revolting way . I so wanted June and Serena to fight him off with the chair and bury him under the floor boards
    The acting in it is awesome and I have to keep watching for that alone ! I thought Yvonne Strahovsky was amazing last night

The one thing that had me scratching my head was that everyone was referring to Janine as Janine, even Aunt Lydia, and not Ofwhoevershe'swithnow. How come?

I noticed that too last night ? Lol at Ofwhoever !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ofwarren I think.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Ofwarren I think.

She was Ofwarren but has a new commander now she's back from the colonies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I knew
    the baby would improve after Janine came. While perhaps unlikely in real life for such a miracle recovery, it's rare for any TV show to have a baby die. It's too much of a bummer even for the likes of this show. It's to the point where any time a show has a sick or injured young child I lose interest as I know they will almost always make it.

I thought this was the best episode so far this season.

Yeah, Yvonne Strahovski is an amazing actress she just impresses me more and more every week.

Nick is screwing up big time and Eden is definitely going to find out about him and June. I feel bad for her though, none of this is her fault and she is trying to do the right things.

I don't think Serena would have forged the commander signature after he refused the transfer thing especially with him back home and everything. She is usually too clever to do something she'll get caught out on so easily.

Yeah, I don't get why they are not using Janine's of-name, especially considering she talked about her new commander. The girl who plays her is very convincing as one of those sweet but unstable types. Show is so well cast throughout.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was something in it implying Fred had been in hospital for quite some time. Hope we're about to see the radicalization of Serena. Maybe she and June will form a reverse rebellion...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There was something in it implying Fred had been in hospital for quite some time. Hope we're about to see the radicalization of Serena. Maybe she and June will form a reverse rebellion...
    Aye, "months" were mentioned, but it could really only be two or max three.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

After watching last night's episode its not looking good for Serena. She was all for Gilead and forged docs in Freds absense & he obviously wasn.t happy.

I think Fred could set her up & if she takes the bate she could be punished ie sent to the colonies..... that would be an interesting twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Because she is an absolute basket case who is capable of anything. Calling her by her real name is a way of humanising her and thus keeping her calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Phew! I thought the idea of getting outta there mighta been off the table.

The one thing that struck me as odd was them not following up with Janine after she took that blow to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That episode was a bit slow. The only bit that was interesting really was some of the parts when they visited canada like when Mrs Waterford was propositioned and also when they got thrown out.

Also the guy who plays Luke I think is one of the poorer actors on the show. That moment where he met the waterfords could have been really touching and or dramatic scene but it was a bit of anticlimax, it should have been one of the more important moments in the season, but it was a wasted opportunity. The writing has never been bad on this show so thats why I think it may have been more the fault of the actor who plays luke

I just loved that scene with June and the Martha , it was just so heartfelt

Brilliant episode tonight . I loved the interaction between June and Martha and with Aunt Lydia . And just as I started to find an iota of sympathy with Serena she goes and breaks Junes heart once again .
    Loved how Serana saw normal life in Canada and the stark difference was so clear . And Waterfords slap in the face and being sent home was brilliant !
    I really need someone to punch his face so hard
    Come on June make it out please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Nice to see in the future dystopia, Canadian politicians maintain their passive aggressive bitchiness.

That new security goon seems like a headcase.

• Advertisement

Nice to see in the future dystopia, Canadian politicians maintain their passive aggressive bitchiness.

That new security goon seems like a headcase.

Glorious bitchiness and Serena has nothing to say beyond, “Go in grace” when a female official tells her, “I don’t know how you live with yourself. It’s sad, what they’ve done to you.”

Its also interesting to see how Serena's handles her own misery .Everytime Serena is hurting she lashes out at someone lower than herself . So June or Martha get the brunt of Serenas own inner hurt

I thought the way serena replied was interesting character development, because it showed that she agreed what they were doing was wrong in gilead or ,more likely, not necessarily agreeing but was at least embarassed/ashamed enough by what gilead does to not defend it

Loved the ending song for this ep :D I like when they end episodes on a spunky note with some upbeat music, really leaves a less heavy feeling with you after these sad episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Best episode of the season so far. Nick surely has to be in extreme danger now though, I'll be surprised if he makes it to the end of this season: particularly given his lack of sense with his wife. A spurned teenage girl is likely to be extremely unpredictable and to give little thought to the consequences of lashing out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sleepy wrote: »
    particularly given his lack of sense with his wife.
    This bit for me jars as being very unbelievable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I dunno. He's clearly uncomfortable with the fact Gilead is making a statutory rapist of him. Could his behaviour towards her be a reflection on his own guilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Sleepy wrote: »
    Best episode of the season so far. Nick surely has to be in extreme danger now though, I'll be surprised if he makes it to the end of this season: particularly given his lack of sense with his wife. A spurned teenage girl is likely to be extremely unpredictable and to give little thought to the consequences of lashing out.

The teenage wife was flirting and feeding the headcase security fella something off of a spoon. My guess is that she'll enjoy the attention, seeing as she is not getting any from Nick, and she'll squeal about finding the letters in Nick's trunk.
    Bye bye Nick.

Just to add i thought the ending on last week's episode was the most heart wrenching thing I've seen in a long time. Maybe it's because i have a 5mth old and i have turned into a complete crybaby! The choice of song and her singing was beautiful.

I doubt the girl read the letters actually,seems to take her rules very seriously..
    I had to LOL at the activities schedule they gave serena with the picture information instead of words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I'm thinking that she'll be earwigging and when she hears letters mentioned she'll put two and two together. She's a staunch Gilead-er-in-ist-ologist person.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Love the choice of music at the end of each episode, had to look up the Rihanna track...brill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Can a girl as young as Eden even read properly though?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement