Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I wish they released all the episodes at once so I could binge watch them all! Such a great episode, Saw the promo for next week and I’m counting down til Thursday already!

The Martha's name is Rita.

I've been getting my knickers in an awful twist when people call her Martha!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

heldel00 wrote: »
    Just to add i thought the ending on last week's episode was the most heart wrenching thing I've seen in a long time. Maybe it's because i have a 5mth old and i have turned into a complete crybaby! The choice of song and her singing was beautiful.

Yes heldel00, I couldn't agree more. Equal parts heart wrenching and beautiful. Jeanine up all night with the baby while everyone else fell asleep. I have an 8 month old and was singing the song to her the following day! Just beautiful the way they kept the singing over the credits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't know, when Nick was in June's room telling her about Canada and Luke, I got a 1984 vibe for a second where I expected a knock on the door and a commander saying to Nick, we have this on tape what you said. For all Gilead's intelligence you would expect certain places to be bugged, but it doesn't show that for some reason. Anyway enjoying it. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If the letters have been made public in Canada surely the only explanation is that Nick leaked them?
    How is he being so naive and careless?
    He also gave Luke his name and never said to keep their meeting secret.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I dunno I thought this episode had a lot of potential but lazy writing bothers me.

Like seriously Fred and Serena just happen to go, out of all of Canada, to where Luke and Moira are? AND Luke gets to confront and have an entire conversation with Fred while 2 cops wrestle him, with a big picture of his family with June that he never drops somehow so Serena and Nick can see it. And then Nick just finds him in a pub too.

All that stuff is just too convenient and coincidental to be convincing as real life.

And then they 'uploaded' a bunch of handwritten letters to spark a public outcry that was mobilized into a protest all in one night (or to be precise, mere hours)

They must have a better setup than I have. To scan, save and upload them all would take a pretty large chunk of time on it's own. Then after they get published online people would have to read them, share them, and start mobilizing for a protest, draw their signs... it just wouldn't happen in such a tight timeframe like that is all I'm saying.

You can tell Serena has put on quite a bit of weight by now with the real life pregnancy tho they are really careful how they film her.

Also sensing Eden and new security guy will team up against Nick and
    June. Eden will get fed up with Nick's lack of affection, and the new guy is more of a 'Patriot' type Gilead guy, more what she wants. And she knows about the letters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

If the letters have been made public in Canada surely the only explanation is that Nick leaked them?
    How is he being so naive and careless?
    He also gave Luke his name and never said to keep their meeting secret.

Yeah I'm guessing that is what will get him in trouble and make him decide to run away with June. with June being bout to pop this all is about to come to a head. she will be desperate to get away before the baby comes or just after. And since she's gonna be sent away right after the birth, which Nick won't want to happen anyway, they run away together when his connection to the letters is revealed leaving him no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I dunno I thought this episode had a lot of potential but lazy writing bothers me.

Like seriously Fred and Serena just happen to go, out of all of Canada, to where Luke and Moira are? AND Luke gets to confront and have an entire conversation with Fred while 2 cops wrestle him, with a big picture of his family with June that he never drops somehow so Serena and Nick can see it. And then Nick just finds him in a pub too.

As far as I know all the refugees who arrive in Canada are kept together and live in a part of a city and its names Little US or something .So its not beyond reality that Fred arrived to that city , Moira saw him on TV and they made their way to where Fred actually was . Fred didnt just bump into Luke , Luke and Moira had made it their business to be there

One thing that confuses me is how al these people are funded and paid .The Commanders , the Eyes , the Police , the Marthas the Handmaids etc etc all live and eat and no one seems to work or no businesses or factories or trade bringing in taxes or money to keep the State going .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Moira and Lukas are living in'little america' which is in Toronto. Its probably quite likely the Waterfords would visit toronto during this canadian visit, and I guess moira and lukas specifically traveled to where the waterfords would be hosted in order to see them. I don't think its that crazy..I found it stupid that nick found lucas in the bar though, don't know how he would even go about finding that out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

My thought on Nick and why he's getting away with so much - he's more powerful member of the eyes than we are shown or lead to think.
    I know we got a view in season 1 about Nick's life before he joined the Waterfords but I think there might be more to see.

I could be all wrong :D

Where is June supposed to be going after the birth?
    The dump?

The dump?

I was wondering about that with a 3rd season. With Janine helping her baby, will they decide it's better to keep the birth mother nearby for a few months just in case she's needed. (I haven't watched this weeks episode yet).

The dump?

To another house so she would be Ofjohn or Ofpeter of Ofsomonelse

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The dump?

If she carries to term, and the baby is born healthy then she's too valuable to them as a breeder to be sent off to the colonies.

Neyite wrote: »
    If she carries to term, and the baby is born healthy then she's too valuable to them as a breeder to be sent off to the colonies.

So she has to breed again?
    Given her running away and disobedience I thought she might be for the gallows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

So she has to breed again?
    Given her running away and disobedience I thought she might be for the gallows!
    The fertility is perceived to be solely the female's fault in Gilead. To even suggest that men have the infertility is treasonous. So, a woman who can get pregnant, stay pregnant and give birth to a live and healthy baby she's too important to kill, it would be like a farmer killing his prizewinning cow because she kicked him once. Besides, they are so short of handmaidens they are bringing back the ones that they sent to the colonies for crimes.

I found this online and its handy for questions and to find the background info

http://the-handmaids-tale.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_of_Gilead

After watching last weeks episode, I do worry about Nick's future or if he has any.

Commander Waterford might be out for blood for the failure of the trip and it looks like he can't do his job to other commanders.

Something major will have to happen for Nick to survive - could he frame Eden and Isaac for something?

Wonder will the surprise for June for her to see her daughter.

Another four episodes, they do like to drag it out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Saw it many years ago and can't remember much about it...but then I have a terrible memory :o

(Helps for when I accidentally read spoilers, though :pac:)

Has anyone seen the 1990 film version?

Yeah. It was underwhelming.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Marje wrote: »
    After watching last weeks episode, I do worry about Nick's future or if he has any.

Nick definitely can't survive - storywise. He loves June. June very possibly loves him. But June also loves Luke and Luke loves June, so having a love triangle escape and all live in free Canada just wouldn't work. I expect Nick to get a heroic martyr's death before the end. When that end might be though I don't know - could be this season or it could be later.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jesus I think arranging that meeting was maybe the most cruel thing that could of happened.

Cruel and heartbreaking and that ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone else notice the 4 car garage in the background?

Surely there's a car in one of them. Boston to the Canadian border is what, a 4 hour drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Sleepy wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the 4 car garage in the background?

Surely there's a car in one of them. Boston to the Canadian border is what, a 4 hour drive?

I thought the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Christ I’m not the better after that episode

At the end I felt like joey in that episode of friends where he wants to put the book in the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Did the Commander deliberately set Nick and June up at the end?

"You deserve this".

• Advertisement

Advertisement