Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Comments

Fred knows it isn't his kid. He isn't stupid.

A total set up to eliminate both June and Nick.

And also hurting Serena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

That was just horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wow great episode but a tough watch. Between the rape scene and her meeting her child..my heart nearly broke when she met her kid and she wasn't giving any sign of warmth back, thought she had been indoctrinated to hate june and this whole meeting was set up to completely break june, so glad she showed love back, just would have been too hard to handle if they'd beaten the love out of her child

The little back and forths between serena and june during the fake contractions were hilarious though, nice bit of comedic relief.

Lydia: I know of a spicy tea that works wonders.
    Mrs Waterford: Tea?
    June: How spicy is it? Because heartburn could hurt the baby ,you know.

And
    Lydia: We are all impatient, but I can promise you this pregnancy will end soon and Offred will be off to her next posting.
    Mrs Waterford: In a new district..change of scene.
    June: You're right Mrs Wateford, its been lovely, but I think its probably best if we dont ever see each other again
    Aunt Lydia: *shaking head at june*

:D
    Also Serenas character is so convincingly poisonous that I just cannot believe the actress who plays her isn't also a **** in real life haha..I think serena will go down in tv history as one of the best villains

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Someone else posted here I think saying Serena was Sarah Walker from Chuck. Yvonne is a brilliant actor.

I kind of had a fair idea what was going to happen as I read a few posts on twitter before tonight because I couldn't watch it without having some idea what was going to happen.

Any idea whose house that was - is it Commander Waterfords? Can Nick escape and come to the rescue.

I saw the clip for next week which should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Great episode . My heart broke for June and Hannah .
    Serena is one mad bitch but Fred frightens me to my core . I was so afraid he was going to have Hannah killed in front of June
    But the end confused me ? Who shot who ? Was Nick dead ? Why was June left ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

wow that was a great episode. started off slow and optimistic and then just became absolutely horrific and heartbreaking. my stomach actually knotted up durng the rape scene i was like, bite the bastard, spit in his face do something.

great performances all around. even eden was very convincing.

it looked like Nick got shot in the leg, didn't it? surprised the eyes shot another eye tho maybe I'm missing something. but without Nick I don't see. June getting out... they are dragging it out tho so i imagine he'll be back on at some point.

Or maybe Emily will come around to her old self (my fav character) and they can team up. there's no way June just leaves the baby and goes to another post. they're gonna make a dash for it soon after the baby is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Great episode . My heart broke for June and Hannah .
    Serena is one mad bitch but Fred frightens me to my core . I was so afraid he was going to have Hannah killed in front of June
    But the end confused me ? Who shot who ? Was Nick dead ? Why was June left ?
    thinking about the end, was it Waterford plan to kill Nick and leave June abandoned knowing the baby wasn't his. They arrived on the scene right after Hannah left. I don't think Waterford ego could handle him raising a child he wasn't the father of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have to admit I actually only watch snipets of it then flick off when it gets really uncomfortable.
    Mostly through here or other websites I find out the story.
    I saw tonight up until Serena was praying over the baby bump.
    How did Offred get to meet up with the daughter?
    And how did Fred come to rape a heavily pregnant Offred?

To thine own self be true

Fred arranged the meeting with her daughter, june came to his office to ask him to arrange to let her live in the district her daughter lives for her next posting, but fred got mad and said she was spoilt and didn't know her place anymore, the morning after they rape her fred sends her off with nick to see her daughter and says she deserves this and kisses he ron the forehead, its not explained yet why he really let her do this

Serena and Fred planned together to rape her to apparently help induce pregnancy but it was more likely to humiliate and dominate her as she had been disobedient to them

Serena wanted baby induced and doctor said no they'd wait another week.
    June asked Fred could she be moved to her daughter's district seeing as Serena wanted her gone as soon as baby was born.
    Fred went schizo roaring and shouting no that he had done enough for her. She then planted the seed of doubt that the baby may or may not be his.
    He then went to Serena and broached the subject of bringing on labour the "natural way" - in Gilead that's rape.
    To reward her then he told Nick to bring her to see the daughter but to be back before Serena got home - which has me thinking maybe he's not involved with Nick being lifted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CassieManson

heldel00 wrote: »
    Serena wanted baby induced and doctor said no they'd wait another week.
    June asked Fred could she be moved to her daughter's district seeing as Serena wanted her gone as soon as baby was born.
    Fred went schizo roaring and shouting no that he had done enough for her. She then planted the seed of doubt that the baby may or may not be his.
    He then went to Serena and broached the subject of bringing on labour the "natural way" - in Gilead that's rape.
    To reward her then he told Nick to bring her to see the daughter but to be back before Serena got home - which has me thinking maybe he's not involved with Nick being lifted

I'm pretty sure that she had previously told him that the baby was not his - maybe at the end of the first series.

Yeh serena told him in no uncertain terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Last nights episode was grim. It's been getting harder to watch for me this series but last night it got even grimmer.

I knew already commander Waterford was a sadistic twisted bastard but it just gets worse and worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh serena told him in no uncertain terms

Was this definite? Had they an argument? So it was heavily implied it was Nick?

Last nights episode was grim. It's been getting harder to watch for me this series but last night it got even grimmer.

I knew already commander Waterford was a sadistic twisted bastard but it just gets worse and worse.

I switch over a lot and I did last night at the rape .I just could not watch the sheer awful twisted horror

Was this definite? Had they an argument? So it was heavily implied it was Nick?

It was during an argument in S1, I can't recall exactly, don't think she mentioned or implied it was nick's at all, but I think she might have literally even said 'its not yours'

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

last nights episode was amazing
    my thoughts

The commander will save Nick (he knows too much)
    Commander will save Olfred and baby. He hates his wife - she is smarter than him and he knows it. he just in it for the power. he'll teach the wife a lesson and assist Olfred in escaping ..

Just watched promo for next week ..
    Nick getting taken away/Offred being abandoned clearly wasn't part of any plan/set up on Fred's part

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very tough episode. Great acting from Moss in the scene with Hannah.

Major complaint though: did they film this episode in the dark? I could barely see anything in some scenes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Nick getting taken away/Offred being abandoned clearly wasn't part of any plan/set up on Fred's part

Where did you see the promo for next week?

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    Where did you see the promo for next week?

Just type in handmaids tale s02e11 promo on youtube, they release one every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

damn that was grim

feels like she's trapped. was hoping they wouldn't take nicks jeep so she could get it.. but they did take it

Slydice wrote: »
    damn that was grim

feels like she's trapped. was hoping they wouldn't take nicks jeep so she could get it.. but they did take it

Yes but as someone said earlier - there was a four door garage beside the big mansion so possibly a vehicle in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

This post has been deleted.

Yes, it was massively disappointing as a huge fan of the book. The series is much better.

(Disclaimer: I always loathed Natasha Richardson)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yes but as someone said earlier - there was a four door garage beside the big mansion so possibly a vehicle in there?

that would be just the ticket! don't know where this show wants to go though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I hope there is going to be a 3rd series.

A little bit of light at the tunnel would keep me going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

well if not I'd have to say it was that they were watching Nick closely after the letters were leaked, or else it was Eden/Isaac or a combination of the two (since she saw the letters and fancies Isaac, she tells him, he reports Nick to get rid of him and allow he and Eden to be together)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I hope there is going to be a 3rd series.

There is, it's already been renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Only caught up with this last night.

That was some episode. The rape scene and reunion with the child were both a tough watch but really well done by the director, crew and actors. It got the emotions and tone just right.

People saying about the cars in the garage may be onto something but I don't see how she can just drive around freely and get across the border without being stopped.

I think this show has to be the best show on TV right now.

Advertisement