Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ah can people not accept some criticism too? It's a discussion thread. I hate threads that get all high and mighty, where only positive discussion is welcome.

I think it's one of the best shows on TV at the moment, but I welcome alternative opinions!
    Yes Absolutely but on the previous page he called it a " steaming pile of shoite " so I then thought it best he need not watch ! If you think that a welcome alternative then so be it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

With regard to her not pulling the trigger, not everyone is capable of killing another person, regardless of what's been done to them.

I think her firing the gun looking for help was totally out of concern for her baby incase of any complications. She was putting her baby before herself there. That's how I saw it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes Absolutely but on the previous page he called it a " steaming pile of shoite " so I then thought it best he need not watch ! If you think that a welcome alternative then so be it

So then you thought you what I should or shouldn’t do?

You’d fit in nicely in Gilead methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

He said this season, and someone giving out about the closeups of her face(i think she shines in those) seems a fair enough critique.

Let the mods mod and try not to tell people what to do(i realise I am being a hypocrite here telling you what to do :pac: But i'm just asking to be nice ;) )

So then you thought you what I should or shouldn’t do?

You’d fit in nicely in Gilead methinks

Where in my post do you see the word should ?

• Advertisement

With regard to her not pulling the trigger, not everyone is capable of killing another person, regardless of what's been done to them.

Fine so, a little knee capping would have sufficed :D

They're just building up the comeuppance so much with those 2 evil pr!cks, it has to come to a head.

He said this season, and someone giving out about the closeups of her face(i think she shines in those) seems a fair enough critique.

Let the mods mod and try not to tell people what to do(i realise I am being a hypocrite here telling you what to do :pac: But i'm just asking to be nice ;) )

I actually did not tell anyone what to do ? I suggested an alternative

I actually did not tell anyone what to do ?

You implied he should change the channel rather than mention he doesn't like the close ups.

I actually did not tell anyone what to do ?

Calm down, this isn’t Gilead. Live and let live

Blessed day

• Advertisement

You implied he should change the channel rather than mention he doesn't like the close ups.

No rather than not watch what he deemed a pile of shoite
    Now that my last word on itb

May the lord open

He said this season. Maybe he enjoyed season 1.

My pet hate on these forums though is that everyone with something negative to say about a show, episode, or season, gets drowned out with "so bugger off" or "switch channels so!"

Blessed be the fruit.

I think her firing the gun looking for help was totally out of concern for her baby incase of any complications. She was putting her baby before herself there. That's how I saw it anyways.

I thought she was only using it as a last resort and then thought they were leaving anyway and so safer not to leave a trail of dead bodies
    I think I might have missed a bit as to how she knew the rifle was in that chest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I'm glad some people enjoyed the episode, as usual it's beautifully shot and top notch acting but just so much didn't add up. To me, the fact she was ready to pop would have made me think this was her last chance to do something to change the outcome of having her baby taken.

And she literally had the perfect opportunity. Fred and Serena alone in the house and she's armed with a shotgun. Blast them and you don't have to worry about getting the car out the garage. And even if you let them leave, the garage door vs a desperate woman with a car, a powerful muscle car mind you, a shotgun, a shovel - she'd get out eventually.

And she was in a remote area but the shotgun was heard and attracted the Waterfords or eyes or whoever pulled up?

It's just got a lot of holes and it seems they are going to keep the series going as long a they can which means more dragging it out. As much as I've enjoyed it, I'm probably done with making a point to watch it after this season ends. But some people like a story that keeps going and going and that's cool it's just not for me, unless it's like Mad Men where it's more about character development. When it's about someone trying to escape something I think 20 something hours is enough really.

If they are to keep it interesting going forward they'll have to change trajectory a bit, and I think they will.

My prediction for the next season and beyond is that the resistance rises up and it becomes all about women taking their power back. Possibly with Serena going over to that side - she already hates Fred and is frustrated by her irrelevance and as she said she only went along with all this stuff to get a baby. Now that she got that I could see her and June continuing with their tenuous relationship to get into Canada or something. Serena is such a strong character and so well played they will definitely keep her around, and Fred too as he is such a good villain.

Did June maybe think her newborn baby just wouldn't survive a journey to Canada and sacrificed herself so Holly would live? That was my take on it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Did June maybe think her newborn baby just wouldn't survive a journey to Canada and sacrificed herself so Holly would live? That was my take on it anyway

That did occur as to be what they were going for but I don't think it quite adds up as (not fact checked) she surely could have fed the kid and herself. Maybe she was afraid she wouldn't survive or be able to protect Holly as she was in bad shape at that point.

Liam O wrote: »
    That did occur as to be what they were going for but I don't think it quite adds up as (not fact checked) she surely could have fed the kid and herself. Maybe she was afraid she wouldn't survive or be able to protect Holly as she was in bad shape at that point.
    She had bled a lot and probably feeling very vulnerable and not sure if she could actually give birth alone .
    In my heart I wanted June to blow Fred and Serena into kingdom come and drive off with Holly to Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Yes, right before it she was apologising to her baby saying I know I told you I'd get you out of here but ...

I forgot to say in my earlier comment how beautifully filmed this episode was. Like it's always stunning but particularly so this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yvonne Strahovski is just as good an actress as Elizabeth Moss I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

As a huge fan of the Show I felt the last episode was a bit of a let down for me. I was really pleased when I heard they were going to make another series now I am not too sure How many more chances are they going to give June so she can escape to Canada I hope they have two really good episodes to finish off this series to whet my appetite for the next series I hope it doesnt limp to its conclusion.

She is amazing and plays a bitch so well ! I hate her , then thaw a little towards her , then hate her all over again . But it means she is playing it so well that she makes me feel like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Her use of her eyebrows is staggering. Both actresses are fantastically expressive without have by to speak a word.
    I also agree with the poster who commented on how beautifully shot last night’s episode was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Love the fact that so many people are saying, why didn't she do this? Why didn't she do that?!!! When i was in labour i could barely brush my teeth never mind shovel feckin snow!
    She did what she did for her baby, plain and simple. She fell, she bled, she alerted. These are instincts. You lay your life down for your child.
    It's a wonderfully raw, gritty programme. As i said before it is the only show that can hold my attention for an hour. My heart was thumping for the entire episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Love the fact that so many people are saying, why didn't she do this? Why didn't she do that?!!! When i was in labour i could barely brush my teeth never mind shovel feckin snow!
    She did what she did for her baby, plain and simple. She fell, she bled, she alerted. These are instincts. You lay your life down for your child.
    It's a wonderfully raw, gritty programme. As i said before it is the only show that can hold my attention for an hour. My heart was thumping for the entire episode.

heldel00 wrote: »

So good you said it twice !!!

Only kidding , I agree June sure was on a mission despite being in labour . Took me all my effort to just breathe !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Good episode! Very moving at the end there.

Think about it, what is more believable; that she makes the best and right decisions and actions every time, or gets it wrong a lot?

Personally I get it wrong 99% of the time, and wouldn't find it very credible if she managed to be on top of her game at every turn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

question: do gilead rules prohibit Fred and Serena from having sex since they know it can't result in a child?

they've never said this i don't think and i can't imagine that would be a rule, surely it would only lead to marriage problems if the husband only slept with the handmaid, and they could always say they were still trying in case the lord blessed them with a miracle etc.

because you never get the sense they are intimate. hardly ever kiss. i know they don't get on all the time also and fred is pretty cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I wonder if there's an Ofpaddy?!

To thine own self be true

Advertisement