Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bit of an anticlimactic finish. Hope Aunt Lydia survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Icsics wrote: »
    Awful finale & after all the focus on breastfeeding/pumping etc how will Emily feed Nicole? So now June has lost 2 daughters

The guy driving the vehicle can pop into a garage for milk on the way to wherever they're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

The writers would at least have needed to provide a hint that June has some intriguing opportunity coming up to further the resistance and reunite with Hannah to make this a viable season-ender for me. Plus, the whole season has just been too weakly plotted. I read an interview with one of the writers a few weeks ago (which I can’t find now) promising amazing things in the last three episodes – Sir, I remain underwhelmed.

Meh, not sure if I will give the next a look; I shouldn’t compare apples and oranges, but this contrasts with how I used to look forward to each new season of Mad Men (probably the last series I really enjoyed!). The whole who-knows-how-many-seasons excitement from the showrunner seems even more like hubris now :rolleyes:

Well we swapped close ups of offred’s sour puss for ofjoseph’s sourpuss instead.
    Ha ha - I was indeed becoming allergic to that muppet-like rictus furry gob :P

Good tension again, but I agree that they didn't explain the sense of Offred deciding to stay. What does she think she can do?

Except, come to think of it, she did take a good long look at the economist guy when he was dropping Emily off. So maybe she's going to do something that relies on him in some way. He was being set up by the last couple of episodes to be some kind of psychopath, although possibly not a sadist, so it feels like a bit of a cheat for him to be suddenly altruistic.

"Go f**k yourself, Fred." That was funny. And I guess Aunt Lyd will be wheelchair-bound if she manages to make it into season 3.
    Perhaps, though they would have needed more foreshadowing of what that might entail to give the story some coherence 'going forward', I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I really enjoyed it myself but Jesus June was cracking me up at the end moving so slowly. I think she was understandably really struggling with leaving Hannah behind and once she seen there was someone else who could look after Nicole she couldn't leave Hannah.

Fair play to the professor fella in the end, what a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Kinda torn on that. I can see it though, she leaves and Hannah could be killed as punishment perhaps? And she loses all chance to track her through Fred?

She stays and she uses the new alliance with Serena to get to Hannah and also damage Gilead from the inside.

It’s got me interested for series 3 anyway. Enough light after a horribly dark season.

Setting fire to the house as a diversion didn't have much effect. Cmdr Waterford's thought process seems to have been: "Hmm, what are those flashing lights? Looks like somebody's creating a diversion. Better check on the sprog."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Was it emily's commanders house that was set on fire? If not, who's house was it?

And I wonder whats going to happen nick next season seeing as he all but admitted he's a traitor to fred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Setting fire to the house as a diversion didn't have much effect. Cmdr Waterford's thought process seems to have been: "Hmm, what are those flashing lights? Looks like somebody's creating a diversion. Better check on the sprog."

That was hilariously stupid in fairness. Must have been an enthralling classical piece and glass of whiskey.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Was it emily's commanders house that was set on fire? If not, who's house was it?

And I wonder whats going to happen nick next season seeing as he all but admitted he's a traitor to fred

And not only Nick, but the Martha, whatever her name is, gave him some serious stink-eye when he was going up the stairs, which he couldn't have missed the meaning of. I don't see how they're going to get out of this one unless they're planning to tie him up in the wardrobe and get out of Dodge, pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes the story has holes and yes some parts were a bit far fetched but I still enjoyed it . I like Serenas mini revolution and her questioning herself and Gilead

Ritas part in the Marthas underground cell made me laugh though . Why would six or seven Marthas risk everything to help a girl they never even knew ? And Rita showed absolutely no sign of her being remotely sympathetic for two seasons until now ?

Now where are Nick and Rita going to escape from Fred who must have them sussed out ? I don't think half a pinky with satisfy Freds quest for revenge

Lastly , June dissapointed me . It was in fairness a Sophies choice and the odds were far higher that she could get Holly and herself out than the impossible quest to save Hannah . June chose the weakest possibllity simply so the writers could have a series three and it was very obvious .

I will watch it as I am now attached to them all and rooting for Emily and Holly . Hoping Serena will kill Fred in a slow and torturous way while he squeals like a frightened rat

And lastly is it just me who dislikes Junes husband Luke ? He just sits quietly in Canada while his wife and daughter face rape and torture and does sweet feckall really ? He sits comfortably waiting until June makes her way out of a dystopic nightmare .

Under the eye and praise be the fruitloops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And lastly is it just me who dislikes Junes husband Luke? He just sits quietly in Canada while his wife and daughter face rape and torture and does sweet feckall really ? He sits comfortably waiting until June makes her way out of a dystopic nightmare.

What's he going to be able to do?

What's he going to be able to do?

Oh just something ! Join a group who aid escapes or find a resistence or start a little army who make plans to rescue Handmaids . I am sure the writers could think of something ! There must be groups in Canada who get people over the borders
    We could say the same about Marthas and look what they could do !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Oh just something ! Join a group who aid escapes or find a resistence or start a little army who make plans to rescue Handmaids . I am sure the writers could think of something ! There must be groups in Canada who get people over the borders
    We could say the same about Marthas and look what they could do !

Was that not kind of what we were seeing with them publishing the handmaid's stories online. A group starting to coalesce to get the stories from inside Gilead out to the wider world. They never really went back to them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I was secretly hoping that June would be killed off at the end of the season and they would make Emily and Serena the main characters. If June becomes leader of the resistance next season then I will start suspecting she has gone crazy and the plot is just her dreaming

Was that not kind of what we were seeing with them publishing the handmaid's stories online. A group starting to coalesce to get the stories from inside Gilead out to the wider world. They never really went back to them after that.

Yes , I wondered what would come of it and so far nothing at all .I would like to see more of Canada and some resistance and maybe a little army that bring people across the border .It would bring some light relief from the Gilead nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yes the story has holes and yes some parts were a bit far fetched but I still enjoyed it . I like Serenas mini revolution and her questioning herself and Gilead

Ritas part in the Marthas underground cell made me laugh though . Why would six or seven Marthas risk everything to help a girl they never even knew ? And Rita showed absolutely no sign of her being remotely sympathetic for two seasons until now ?

Now where are Nick and Rita going to escape from Fred who must have them sussed out ? I don't think half a pinky with satisfy Freds quest for revenge

Lastly , June dissapointed me . It was in fairness a Sophies choice and the odds were far higher that she could get Holly and herself out than the impossible quest to save Hannah . June chose the weakest possibllity simply so the writers could have a series three and it was very obvious .

I will watch it as I am now attached to them all and rooting for Emily and Holly . Hoping Serena will kill Fred in a slow and torturous way while he squeals like a frightened rat

And lastly is it just me who dislikes Junes husband Luke ? He just sits quietly in Canada while his wife and daughter face rape and torture and does sweet feckall really ? He sits comfortably waiting until June makes her way out of a dystopic nightmare .

Under the eye and praise be the fruitloops
    If Fred informs the council or whatever that everyone in his household is a traitor then he will be killed too. That was a worry for him and Serena when June was listening in on them a couple of episodes ago.

He knows they all hate him and knows that it is likely Nick's baby. Unless he covers it up he'll be going down with them most likely. Nick's position with the Eyes will also help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Why would Serena not go with the child? She has no reason to stick with Fred, and she said in last episode that a baby was the one thing she wanted when they initially set up the dystopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Why would Serena not go with the child? She has no reason to stick with Fred, and she said in last episode that a baby was the one thing she wanted when they initially set up the dystopia.

Maybe it's because of the hatred all the marthas and handmaids have for the wives. Remember when a wife was sent to the colony and she was tortured and let die. Its the only reason I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

In the start of the episode Rita was very regretful about not helping or being kind to Eden, remember? so that's why she got involved with the resistance

and Fred has been shown to be totally spineless. let his wife get mutilated, June slapped him back and he didn't do much, and Nick showed him up at the end too. the only power he has is through Gilead's government but he can't really use that here - there has been too many incidents in his house he will probably have to cover up as much as he can.

but still, i agree with this saying that the ending sucked and made no sense and was simply to drag out another season. and I'm done being tricked by this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

I liked the first season but that entire second season was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh, it started off strong I thought but I was overall very disappointed by the season by the end of it:( I was absolutely mesmerised by this show in S1 though, totally immersed in the world and its amazing characters, I loved it tbh, so Im really disappointed, and it'll probably only decline further in S3

It just bugs me no end seeing such incredibly well developed complex characters wasted by making them do such retarded out of character things like serena giving away the baby and June going back to find her other daughter(as its stupid and impossible), seems like a waste of such well considered character development preceding it

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

It's tough decision for any mother - June will know Nicole will now be protected. She wants to try and protect Hannah now. I'm guessing June will ask Lawrence to help her in season 3 along with the others hopefully. He might take June as his new handmaid.

We don't know yet if Emily and Nicole get free, hopefully they do.

I can see how people might think Nick is in trouble but he can always say he was doing his job and protecting Waterford before anything else. Waterford is such a weak feeble person. He can't do anything for himself.

He has no one to turn to or trust to tell what has happened and will as others as stated here keep it under wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Too much slow motion this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

It was beyond rubbish. One it went past the novel (essentially season 1) it went way off the rails

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I could watch Bradley Whitford all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ending made everything pointless. She finally has a chance to get out and doesn't take it. Makes zero sense. What's for season 3, she goes all Liam Neeson?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 60,702 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The first thing that came to my mind with that final scene when she put the hood up was.

I’m Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ending made everything pointless. She finally has a chance to get out and doesn't take it. Makes zero sense. What's for season 3, she goes all Liam Neeson?

Agreed, terrible writing which requires a tremendous suspension of disbelief. Surely it would make more sense to go to Canada or wherever and look after the one child you can look after. Plan a rescue mission or whatever, if the regime is that brutal she could be shot on site as soon as she returns without the baby. Very unlikely to happen though due to plot armour.

Advertisement