Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,702 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Same the previous two seasons Hulu have dropped the first 3 episodes of the season and the rest of the season will be dropped weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

A sort of preview from a critic who's advanced-viewed Season 3 here - don't look if you want to avoid not so much big plot spoilers as more general spoilerish obsrvations https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/04/gilead-on-steroids-five-things-to-expect-from-the-new-handmaids-tale (I did look as, though I'll have it on paying half-attention, I don't care much any more :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Will be avoiding all these spoiler sites until I have seen the episodes. I remember the tabloids revealed all the goings on in Love/Hate a couple of years and many were giving out about it: the best thing is just do not read them until after the episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Will be avoiding all these spoiler sites until I have seen the episodes. I remember the tabloids revealed all the goings on in Love/Hate a couple of years and many were giving out about it: the best thing is just do not read them until after the episodes!
    TBH it's not episode specific information, just wide brush strokes on where it seems to be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Guardian have an article up about how The Handmaid's Tale had finally 'gone too far' this season for the reviewer.

The following are quotes that are very high level comments on the mood of the first six episodes rather than spoilers on content. I wouldn't consider them spoilers (more commentary on the mood/themes) but certainly some could consider them minor spoilers so I have them in spoiler tags anyway.
    It is clear that by extending June’s stay in Gilead, the show’s writers have placed themselves in a kind of conundrum – how to extend the story without simply repeating the same violence against women over and over again? Season three of The Handmaid’s Tale attempts to go deeper into the emotional breadth of its story, but there is little the viewer needs to learn about Gilead at this juncture other than the obvious: that the regime is horrible, destructive, and deserves to be destroyed. In one scene in the middle of the season, we see a mutilated handmaid, a reminder that whatever personal growth that June has experienced is futile since she is up against a powerful regime that is so thoroughly monstrous that there is no humanity left to grapple with.

Still, the main issue of the series is that it tends towards shocking viewers with the cruel horrors of Gilead rather than offering genuine character development. Though June repeatedly says that she is a different person after being in Gilead, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of evidence that she is. Certainly, it’s a relief that June is as angry and resistant as ever, but I’m not sure that continuing to drag June through the physical and psychological horrors of Gilead over and over again does much to advance the plot or move us emotionally forward. At a time when we see more and more reproductive freedoms being taken away from women, a show like The Handmaid’s Tale needs to be more than a series of provocative and frightening images on repeat. June deserves a story that doesn’t necessarily give her a pat, happy ending, but that does, ultimately, give her a potential way out.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/05/sympathy-for-the-devil-how-the-handmaids-tale-finally-goes-too-far

Very disappointing preview for me as I was hoping for it to get better or progress somehow (from where I see it) but from this, I may finally fall off the Handmaids Tale cliff soon.

The Guardian have an article up about how The Handmaid's Tale had finally 'gone too far' this season for the reviewer.

The following are quotes that are very high level comments on the mood of the first six episodes rather than spoilers on content. I wouldn't consider them spoilers (more commentary on the mood/themes) but certainly some could consider them minor spoilers so I have them in spoiler tags anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/05/sympathy-for-the-devil-how-the-handmaids-tale-finally-goes-too-far

Very disappointing preview for me as I was hoping for it to get better or progress somehow (from where I see it) but from this, I may finally fall off the Handmaids Tale cliff soon.

Will definitely not look at spoilers or of pre-reviews. I know this will be a good series (it is not some Amy Hubermann RTE drama afterall!!) but will it offer hope or despair and how will people react to it? Judgement is truly only possible when we look at a series as a whole. One thing I hope the series does do is explain the structure of the government of Gilead and who the overall leader is. This is one area where details can be filled in.

Will definitely not look at spoilers or of pre-reviews. I know this will be a good series (it is not some Amy Hubermann RTE drama afterall!!) but will it offer hope or despair and how will people react to it? Judgement is truly only possible when we look at a series as a whole. One thing I hope the series does do is explain the structure of the government of Gilead and who the overall leader is. This is one area where details can be filled in.

Definitely. Theres huge scope to show the structure of the government and really widen the view.

I think it needs to. Another season of Offred being raped and tortured is not what anyone wants.

Definitely. Theres huge scope to show the structure of the government and really widen the view.

I think it needs to. Another season of Offred being raped and tortured is not what anyone wants.

Absolutely. How this regime in Gilead came about and the origins of the war is needed to be explained and this would be new ground. Looking forward to the series and also Margaret Atwood's sequel The Testaments. A different slant is needed and Offred in different roles/situations plus other characters' backgrounds would be good to see.

Without delving into spoilers or the reviews, one thing that will be changed forever after the events of series 2 is the relationship between Fred and Serena. Fred stood out as the main villain in season 2 and as with Breaking Bad's Walter White, got more and more ruthless as he went along. Other things we noticed though is Fred and Serena's relationship soured too and especially by the final episode of the season, it was never going to be the same as before. On top of this, it emerged Fred is afraid of being put up on the wall which means he is not head honcho in Gilead either. He is afraid of those above him or (as is common in the drug dealer dramas like Breaking Bad and Love/Hate) of others who are rivals or colleagues (I get the feeling that everyone is afraid of everyone and is spying on everyone and that Gilead is a gangster state at the core).

The gangster state element would be a good subplot. We got to see some of the hypocrisy of Gilead already with Jezebels and we saw Commander Fred take the man responsible for Serena's shooting and his girlfriend out into a wood and he shoots the girlfriend in front of this man (pure Love/Hate). Clearly, Fred was a violent man and this group were probably Neo-Nazi terrorists akin to Jack Welker's group in Breaking Bad. All this background and how this group went from violent terrorist group to Gilead would be an interesting couple of episodes.

• Advertisement

Stop with the close ups of her face now for God's sake.

They were powerful when used sparingly throughout a season we don't need 10 of them an episode now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Having watched the first three episodes of series 3, I have to say, it really needs to start showing some forward movement in the overall storyline of the show, or I’m tempted to give up after this season. And I’ve not really agreed with people making those kinds of grumblings before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Shelga wrote: »
    Having watched the first three episodes of series 3, I have to say, it really needs to start showing some forward movement in the overall storyline of the show, or I’m tempted to give up after this season. And I’ve not really agreed with people making those kinds of grumblings before now.

Apparently there are to be 2 more seasons after this one...so it will probably progress quite slowly..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Apparently there are to be 2 more seasons after this one...so it will probably progress quite slowly..

Argh, I really can't watch 2 more seasons with June skulking around Gilead, with just whisperings of a resistance every couple of episodes.

They need to do something dramatic- like have her escape but then continue the story as a larger depiction of the fightback against Gilead- like what do other countries around the world make of what has happened?- but I guess the show runners are reluctant to expand too far beyond the show's origins just yet.

One aspect of the new series that is good is
    Emily's severe PTSD

It's not that the new series is bad, by any means, just doesn't feel groundbreaking anymore, as one review said.

Shelga wrote: »
    Argh, I really can't watch 2 more seasons with June skulking around Gilead, with just whisperings of a resistance every couple of episodes.

They need to do something dramatic- like have her escape but then continue the story as a larger depiction of the fightback against Gilead- like what do other countries around the world make of what has happened?- but I guess the show runners are reluctant to expand too far beyond the show's origins just yet.

One aspect of the new series that is good is
    Emily's severe PTSD

It's not that the new series is bad, by any means, just doesn't feel groundbreaking anymore, as one review said.

A new issue with most successful TV series these days too is not only are they made to take into account further seasons, they are also thinking along the lines of prequels and spinoffs. When Breaking Bad was originally made, it was intended to be just that. But with the success of Better Call Saul (and a proposed sequel to Breaking Bad concentrating on Jesse Pinkman post-Walter White), Handmaid's, GoT and many more are thinking along that line too. A TV series called Gilead or The Testaments could well be in the thoughts of the makers and thus they will leave many aspects about the broader story for these. Of course, there are pros and cons with this for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It annoys me when June is nice to that **** Serena. I don't for a second have sympathy for her - she is one of the architects of that hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yeh . I am sucked in once again . My mouth is dry and my heart thumping .

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Dull so far. Really needs to pick up the pace.

Enjoyed those 2 episodes. This Commander Lawrence is a strange guy. Is he good or evil? Or both? Definitely he will be one of the highlight characters in this season.

Bradley Whitford's acting is just beautiful.

• Advertisement

Bradley Whitford's acting is just beautiful.

It is and he is like a male Serena Joy in many ways: very complex. Do not know how to judge him so far: he is very unpredictable. Everyone though seems to be afraid of someone higher than them and/or each other as well. Just like Margaret Atwood's original book explains that Handmaids spy on other Handmaids, I get the feeling the Commanders do the same on each other and we know the Eyes spy on them as well.

Commander Fred featured a lot in episode 1 and for now has reverted back to his series 1 persona (he came across far more evil in series 2). The guilt of what he did to Serena seems to have taken him aback a bit with regard to his evil side.

The fear in Gilead is still out there though and we get the feeling there is something higher out there they all fear. If Gilead was actually real, it would be an America broke by a silly war and then bailed out by Saudi Arabia in return for imposing this sort of society.

The show has now become labeled by its title The Handmaid's Tale which was fine when it was just June's story.

There are a lot more interesting and complex characters other than June.

Bradley Whitford's character to be the most important and conflicted of them all the man who's books lead to the creation of this world they live in and his pride and guilt in what was created around his words.

The title of the show would be more apt if it was now called Gilead.

The show has now become labeled by its title The Handmaid's Tale which was fine when it was just June's story.

There are a lot more interesting and complex characters other than June.

Bradley Whitford's character to be the most important and conflicted of them all the man who's booked lead to the creation of this world they live and his pride and guilt in what was created around his words.

The title of the show would be apt if it was now called Gilead.

Commander Lawrence is a fascinating character and reminds me a lot of Walter White in Breaking Bad. Like him, I get the feeling Lawrence was a teacher who was initially sucked into this world and then this world consumed him. Conflicted between what he was and what he is and what he wants to be. Arguably, the show is better served by the name Gilead. Of course, June is still observing the main events and that is part of the story all along: an ordinary person thrown into this world and this is something nearly all the characters share.

I enjoyed the two episodes , I could have done with less slow motion scenes and close up of Junes face
    But loved the scene between June and Serena when they both cried in each others arms . Serena is a complex creature and plays it so well .
    I was bitterly dissapointed that Fred didn't go up in flames and thought that was the whole point of the fire ?
    I like the Canadian scenes and they are a blessed ( be ) relief from Gilead .

I don't like Luke , I try to understand him but can't get over that he seems to do very little to get June and Hannah to safety .

Blessed day all !!

Serena instigated a violent rape of June. She psychologically tormented her by having her driven to Hannah's home and keeping June locked in the car looking out at her little girl.

The evil bitch is gonna have to do a LOT to redeem herself imo. June is an eejit to be doing stuff like hugging her.

Serena instigated a violent rape of June. She psychologically tormented her by having her driven to Hannah's home and keeping June locked in the car looking out at her little girl.

The evil bitch is gonna have to do a LOT to redeem herself imo. June is an eejit to be doing stuff like hugging her.

The show shouldn't be trying to redeem her at all. I find it intensely uncomfortable that it's being positioned that we should sympathise with someone who repeatedly raped and tortured someone nearly to death.

I'm all for character arcs and redemption stories but is this really something that should be promoted. There are better ways to move this story on.

Yes , definitely I would like to see Serena realise what she had become . I enjoy the complex relationships in Gilead and I think that is probably the point of it for me
    People can become evil when before they were normal in such a controlling environment . Its a frightening reality

Yeah it's true that Serena was a normal person before the coup, even if some of her views were old fashioned (and the shooting of her was vile of course). Don't think she wanted things to go as far as they did at all. Doubt she espoused women being forbidden to read.

But she went to the dark side and has since behaved unforgivably. And I think the show is doing the whole "she's a victim too and the women should unite as sisters all in it together" thing which is nonsense as it just further takes agency away from them.

The rage-filled "Women like you..." instead of "people like you" bit by Commander Lawrence was a nice summing up of online attitudes towards women and those mgtow etc maniacs i thought. :)

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I enjoyed the two episodes , I could have done with less slow motion scenes and close up of Junes face
    But loved the scene between June and Serena when they both cried in each others arms . Serena is a complex creature and plays it so well .
    I was bitterly dissapointed that Fred didn't go up in flames and thought that was the whole point of the fire ?
    I like the Canadian scenes and they are a blessed ( be ) relief from Gilead .

I don't like Luke , I try to understand him but can't get over that he seems to do very little to get June and Hannah to safety .

Blessed day all !!

Serena is indeed very complex. She was a vindictive character for a lot of series 1 but she redeemed herself more and more as series 2 went along. Fred on the other hand came across as relatively decent in series 1 but became evil in series 2. He seems to be overcome with guilt so far in series 3 and Serena can use this to her advantage.

Serena no doubt has done awful things to June but we must remember the episode in series 2 where June had the shotgun aimed at both her and Fred but decided to not shoot either. Instead, she witnessed the disagreement between the 2. June and Serena both share a genuine love of Nichole and that is something that shows they have a lot in common. Both have come to genuinely respect each other.
    The show shouldn't be trying to redeem her at all. I find it intensely uncomfortable that it's being positioned that we should sympathise with someone who repeatedly raped and tortured someone nearly to death.

I'm all for character arcs and redemption stories but is this really something that should be promoted. There are better ways to move this story on.

Serena is a great character and well acted but she is of course a hard character to redeem. Love her or hate her, we also need to remember her backstory: in the book and series 1, we know Fred has been unfaithful to her before with a previous handmaid. She knows full well about Fred and his trips to Jezebels. The monster Serena has become has a lot to do with her relationship with Fred. Fred clearly was a bad man even before Gilead: after Serena was shot (which also was wrong of course and an act of terrorism despite her repugnant views), he callously has a man's girlfriend shot in front of her: this clearly brings Fred into a territory Nidge from Love/Hate would be all too familiar with.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes , definitely I would like to see Serena realise what she had become . I enjoy the complex relationships in Gilead and I think that is probably the point of it for me
    People can become evil when before they were normal in such a controlling environment . Its a frightening reality

Same here. Serena through Fred has become a product of the Gilead regime. 'A strong Gilead wife' or a victim? We see countless times Serena being confronted about what she is and she clearly knows this.

Of course, people can become evil when necessary. A whole series called Breaking Bad was about that very theme and it is also a major theme here in Handmaid's as well. But if a person can break bad, they can also break good: could this be Serena's story? Could Serena be Walter White in reverse?

Advertisement