Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

Slydice wrote: »
    Do you want to know about future episodes?:)

no! like i said - did i miss something previously? i don't get her initiation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The scene in the finale when she sees her daughter and goes from sadness to fury at Serena was as good as any I've seen this year.

^^^ I'm shaking my fist here at you Ioxy for that little nugget of info!

heldel00 wrote: »
    The scene in the finale when she sees her daughter and goes from sadness to fury at Serena was as good as any I've seen this year.

^^^ I'm shaking my fist here at you Ioxy for that little nugget of info!

thanks for the spolier - though i glanced over it mindlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

sporina wrote: »
    I have a query about episode 5 - faithful.. why did Offred initiate getting it on with Nick? Did I miss something?
    Please no spoilers for future episodes as I am watching behind time
    thanks
    Good reasons in the earlier post on this. I also think she fancies him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

no! like i said - did i miss something previously? i don't get her initiation ?

I don't think you missed anything previously.

• Advertisement

In the novel, she falls for Nick. Hence her "cheating on Luke" thought. Having read the novel prior to watching the show I never questioned why she went to Nick. I thought it was implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I imagine the finale of the series whenever it happens will include the
    epilogue, which when I was reading it was totally unexpected and kinda took me by surprise.......

In the novel, she falls for Nick. Hence her "cheating on Luke" thought. Having read the novel prior to watching the show I never questioned why she went to Nick. I thought it was implied.

for those of us who have NOT read the book - was it implied in the tv show? i know that she squeezed his arm after she saw the gun when they were performing the "ceremony"

PS is the tv series meant to be exactly like the book? maybe or maybe not.. not all are

for those of us who have NOT read the book - was it implied in the tv show? i know that she squeezed his arm after she saw the gun when they were performing the "ceremony"

PS is the tv series meant to be exactly like the book? maybe or maybe not.. not all are

Perhaps it was not implied, it was impossible for me to see this as I already knew.

Many parts of the show are the same as the novel. There is far more in the show. It deviates from the storyline but not enough to ruin it in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I wonder the name Offred does it have a double meaning i.e. "Off Red" ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    I wonder the name Offred does it have a double meaning i.e. "Off Red" ???

The Handmaids are all referred to by names that signify the Commanders they serve: Offred is Of Fred, Ofglen for Of Glen

Marje wrote: »
    The Handmaids are all referred to by names that signify the Commanders they serve: Offred is Of Fred, Ofglen for Of Glen

Eh yes I know that. They also wear red. Rebellion against the red = Off Red

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Really loved this, didn't realise it had only began in April when we started watching and am now gutted we will be waiting so long to see a new season, this binge watching thing does have its drawbacks :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Eh yes I know that. They also wear red. Rebellion against the red = Off Red

What you suggest makes no sense. Of Glen alone puts an end to it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It does make sense. I think Margaret Atwood called her principal character Offred specifically for the reason the poster stated. It's a subtle play on words.

Whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Article written by Margaret Atwood
    When I first began “The Handmaid’s Tale” it was called “Offred,” the name of its central character. This name is composed of a man’s first name, “Fred,” and a prefix denoting “belonging to,” so it is like “de” in French or “von” in German, or like the suffix “son” in English last names like Williamson. Within this name is concealed another possibility: “offered,” denoting a religious offering or a victim offered for sacrifice.
    The modesty costumes worn by the women of Gilead are derived from Western religious iconography — the Wives wear the blue of purity, from the Virgin Mary; the Handmaids wear red, from the blood of parturition, but also from Mary Magdalene. Also, red is easier to see if you happen to be fleeing. The wives of men lower in the social scale are called Econowives, and wear stripes. I must confess that the face-hiding bonnets came not only from mid-Victorian costume and from nuns, but from the Old Dutch Cleanser package of the 1940s, which showed a woman with her face hidden, and which frightened me as a child. Many totalitarianisms have used clothing, both forbidden and enforced, to identify and control people — think of yellow stars and Roman purple — and many have ruled behind a religious front. It makes the creation of heretics that much easier.

Marje wrote: »

Oh Jesus, are you being deliberately obtuse or do you just look at things one dimensionally? Just google it !

http://www.123helpme.com/the-red-symbol-in-the-handmaids-tale-preview.asp?id=223873

"Everything correlated with the handmaids is red; Offred’s own name, for instance, which so distressingly epitomizes dualism can be read as "Of Fred," signifying her ownership to her commander-yet furthermore can be read as "Off Red,” suggesting off with the red dress, symbolizing her yearning for nonconformity from the red dress and all the afflictions correlated with red in her life- blood, death and violence, which have come to “define” her."

https://www.google.ie/amp/io9.com/5848749/puns-puzzles-and-easter-eggs-in-margaret-atwoods-the-handmaids-tale/amp

"At first glance, the puns and references are the sort of things that English essays are made of. After describing the body-concealing dress and wimple-like head coverings that Offred is forced to wear, she notes "Habits are hard to break." Or, later, she describes women as "We were the people who were not in the papers. We lived in the blank white spaces at the edge of print." Why? Because they're marginalized. Or the way that everything about the Handmaids is red, and the rebellious narrator is "off-red"

watched the episode 6 and think i just have to watch it rather than over thinking it.. so will unfollow this thread until i have finished the series - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh Jesus, are you being deliberately obtuse or do you just look at things one dimensionally? Just google it !

No need for the attitude. We're all friends here. Try and keep it civil, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Five episodes in have to say it's a hard watch in parts but definitely one of the best shows around at the moment/ all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I recorded it last night and just watched it now,best episode so far imo ..great show and I think next week is the last of the series .

Yep ten episodes this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

E mac wrote: »
    Yep ten episodes this season.

Do you know how many seasons are being made?

I've no idea. Season two is happening but having not read the book nor finished the season I don't know how much of the book is in season one or will be in season two. I'm just enjoying it episode by episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

E mac wrote: »
    I've no idea. Season two is happening but having not read the book nor finished the season I don't know how much of the book is in season one or will be in season two. I'm just enjoying it episode by episode!

Everything in the book has been included in Season One, so Season Two is a continuation of the novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I look forward to series two after just ending series one on Channel Four tonight.

Series
    Series
    Series

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Just finished this and thought it was spectacular!

I'm really disappointed that I didn't realise there was a book prior to the series! I would have loved to read it first, but I'll still give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Also just finished it. Definitely one of the best new shows in recent years. Moss is fantastic in it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just finished this and thought it was spectacular!

I'm really disappointed that I didn't realise there was a book prior to the series! I would have loved to read it first, but I'll still give it a go!

I'm re-reading the book after the series and it's easier to visualise the book now.

Advertisement