Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

They've shown over and over since the first series that handmaids are not above being executed, except June apparently. Doesn't wash with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They've shown over and over since the first series that handmaids are not above being executed, except June apparently. Doesn't wash with me.

At this stage she should be missing an eye and some limbs at least

She'd have been hung as soon as she returned with the baby - though the only reason she made it that far is cause she was pregnant, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

She'd have been hung as soon as she returned with the baby - though the only reason she made it that far is cause she was pregnant, I guess.

This Ofmatthew Handmaid is
    becoming one of the most evil characters of season 3 it would seem. Serena, Fred, Joseph and even Lydia all seem to be preferable to her at present. But is this Handmaid's African America background the reason? Is it once again that African American Handmaids are forced to spy on white Handmaids to avoid going to their colony called Children of Ham in the book? Knowing the spirit of The Handmaid's Tale, Gilead is forcing this Handmaid to be evil in this way I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Yeah, I’ve been defending it mostly, but that last episode was one of the lowest quality ever. Is June just invincible now??

And Lydia’s back story was poor, even though I felt they were trying to portray that it was just one of a number of similar incidents/pattern of behaviour.

I’m still gonna watch but this season is all over the place. Nothing this week moved the story forward for any main character. And I kinda missed Serena...

• Advertisement

I have watched every episode so how did I miss Aunt Lydias backstory ?
    Was it shown on RTE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have watched every episode so how did I miss Aunt Lydias backstory ?
    Was it shown on RTE ?

Oops, sorry, I watched through, ahem, other channels. I assumed RTE was at the same pace!

Shelga wrote: »
    Oops, sorry, I watched through, ahem, other channels. I assumed RTE was at the same pace!

Ah ok ! No worries I thought I had dozed off unbeknownst to myself

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ah ok ! No worries I thought I had dozed off unbeknownst to myself

Hah, you're not alone, I just had to do a bit of research then realised I'm a week behind. And apparently we're in for a treat, as episode 8 is "the worst one yet". Yay.

Hah, you're not alone, I just had to do a bit of research then realised I'm a week behind. And apparently we're in for a treat, as episode 8 is "the worst one yet". Yay.

I saw a trailer for next week's and it looks pretty good to me. June gets fairly violent and as said, I cannot get the hate some critics of it have. Just watched 10 minutes of Young Offenders before tonight's episode of Handmaid's (which I also enjoyed): now, this Young Offenders stuff is real drivel (but is a masterpiece compared to anything Mrs Brown). Clearly, these online critics of THT haven't been exposed to bad TV like TYO or MBB.

• Advertisement

I saw a trailer for next week's and it looks pretty good to me. June gets fairly violent and as said, I cannot get the hate some critics of it have. Just watched 10 minutes of Young Offenders before tonight's episode of Handmaid's (which I also enjoyed): now, this Young Offenders stuff is real drivel (but is a masterpiece compared to anything Mrs Brown). Clearly, these online critics of THT haven't been exposed to bad TV like TYO or MBB.

A heyore, you cannot, simply cannot lump Young Offenders and Mrs Brown into the same basket!!

I think I'll wait till next week before I actually comment on the episode - when I've actually seen it. Only referring to a few reviews I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ah here. The Young Offenders was a critically acclaimed film and the TV series took the best bits and built on them as best it could in short form. By all means it may not be your cup of tea or in your interest but it is objectively not 'drivel'.

Episode 8 of this seasons Handmaid's Tale had widely been reviewed as the worst episode yet. And this season is sitting at 67 on Metacritic after a 92 and 86 series one and two. Rotten Tomatoes shows the same arcs in reception.

The Handmaid's Tale is the drivel at this point.

Ah here. The Young Offenders was a critically acclaimed film and the TV series took the best bits and built on them as best it could in short form. By all means it may not be your cup of tea or in your interest but it is objectively not 'drivel'.

Episode 8 of this seasons Handmaid's Tale had widely been reviewed as the worst episode yet. And this season is sitting at 67 on Metacritic after a 92 and 86 series one and two. Rotten Tomatoes shows the same arcs in reception.

The Handmaid's Tale is the drivel at this point.

As regards The Handmaid's Tale, I enjoy it and do not see that much of a drop off in quality. Sure, series 3 ain't perfect but we must remember there are powerful forces at play who are AFRAID of this series who DO NOT want this series. When seasons 1 and 2 were made, the John Bolton regime had yet to gain power and find its feet. That regime is SCARED by things like The Handmaid's Tale filming in their capital city and the like and will do all they can to shut it down. Critics can be bought by Bolton's hardliners. The same was true that the moderates can buy critics too and were more in the mainstream pre-April 2018 when the other series were made.

For better or worse, The Handmaid's Tale, Gilead, Handmaids and other imagery of this show have been used as a protest movement against the Bolton regime and you can be sure this regime will fight back. Elements of Gilead do coincide with Bolton's April 2018- regime but they are not identical: Bolton is worse for warmongering and Gilead clearly treats its people far worse. But both are hardly normal and there is enough to say Bolton's regime could well lead to a worse type regime if a war happened and Bolton split America in 2. THT because of its controversial usage by many is not your ordinary TV show and is going to get hate from the far right and extreme Christists and so on. THT has also been used by pro-choice people and while it is not a pro-abortion show per se, it has become supported by pro-choice people and thus pro-life/anti-abortion people may be influenced to not like the show.

Season 3 for me just lacks flashback scenes and a few other minor things but by no means is it anything remotely near drivel. Sure, series 1 backed up with authentic Margaret Atwood material will always be the best but seasons 2 and 3 are good TV and a welcome relief to all that other stuff that is on. The Ofmatthew scenario and the like are all IMO interesting and as said, one has to watch and judge for oneself.

Another example is the film Batman & Robin. Sure, it is not great and not one of the classic Batman films. But one of the worst films ever made as some critics say? Hardly. The same goes for all the sudden falling out of love with Kevin Costner. There is a lot of bias with critics.

As regards Offred/June surviving: she is the lead character and THT is not the first or the last good series to have the lead character survive against odds that other characters would not. From James Bond to Nidge to Walter White to Batman, each character was saved so the series will continue even if in reality, this would not happen. This once more is TV not real world and we must remember contractual issues have to be obeyed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Lydia's back story was a major disappointment imo. Why not do it properly and dedicate the whole episode to her instead of interspersing it with rubbish like the "testify" meeting and OffMatthew losing the plot. Would have been interesting to go back to her childhood and early life to explain why she became the way she is. And are we supposed to believe that being rejected by yer man was some sort of trigger for her behaviour?

Lydia's back story was a major disappointment imo. Why not do it properly and dedicate the whole episode to her instead of interspersing it with rubbish like the "testify" meeting and OffMatthew losing the plot. Would have been interesting to go back to her childhood and early life to explain why she became the way she is. And are we supposed to believe that being rejected by yer man was some sort of trigger for her behaviour?

While I like season 3, I did say it has some flaws and one is not enough flashbacks. Have yet to see the Lydia episode but let's hope they keep doing flashbacks for her to give her full story. Ofmatthew is the character that most fascinates me at present. Why does she act like she does? And is this the beginning of the series covering a major part of the Margaret Atwood original (The Children of Ham)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

She's a psycho thanks to Gilead though and what it's done to her. Just thought June taking such pleasure in her demise was a bit much.

True, but the Handmaids would always be waiting to see who she would get killed next

As regards The Handmaid's Tale, I enjoy it and do not see that much of a drop off in quality. Sure, series 3 ain't perfect but we must remember there are powerful forces at play who are AFRAID of this series who DO NOT want this series. When seasons 1 and 2 were made, the John Bolton regime had yet to gain power and find its feet. That regime is SCARED by things like The Handmaid's Tale filming in their capital city and the like and will do all they can to shut it down. Critics can be bought by Bolton's hardliners. The same was true that the moderates can buy critics too and were more in the mainstream pre-April 2018 when the other series were made.

For better or worse, The Handmaid's Tale, Gilead, Handmaids and other imagery of this show have been used as a protest movement against the Bolton regime and you can be sure this regime will fight back. Elements of Gilead do coincide with Bolton's April 2018- regime but they are not identical: Bolton is worse for warmongering and Gilead clearly treats its people far worse. But both are hardly normal and there is enough to say Bolton's regime could well lead to a worse type regime if a war happened and Bolton split America in 2. THT because of its controversial usage by many is not your ordinary TV show and is going to get hate from the far right and extreme Christists and so on. THT has also been used by pro-choice people and while it is not a pro-abortion show per se, it has become supported by pro-choice people and thus pro-life/anti-abortion people may be influenced to not like the show.

This is the best one yet! Season 3 is less popular than the previous two because critics are being paid to slate it; because Americans are afraid of it.

I suppose you're so scared of there being young offenders in Cork that you are afraid of The Young Offenders and don't rate it highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think this season is disappointing because by this stage i thought June would be more involved with the rebels but actually Fred and Selena have shown most progress in getting themselves back on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm sorry but this is serious paranoid nonsense that I'd expect out of the White House. Its not being received as well because its not as good as it was. Nobody is slating you for liking it or enjoying it as we're all entitled to like what we want but to say it's being less received because of a political conspiracy?? Jesus, give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was quite defensive of Season Two. It might not have been the same level of quality as Season One but it was still really good television in my opinion and I looked forward to seeing each new episode every week. I think some parts like showing us econoclass households stood out above season One and the book.

Season Three is just bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Season 3 for me just lacks flashback scenes and a few other minor things but by no means is it anything remotely near drivel. Sure, series 1 backed up with authentic Margaret Atwood material will always be the best but seasons 2 and 3 are good TV and a welcome relief to all that other stuff that is on. The Ofmatthew scenario and the like are all IMO interesting and as said, one has to watch and judge for oneself.

Another example is the film Batman & Robin. Sure, it is not great and not one of the classic Batman films. But one of the worst films ever made as some critics say? Hardly. The same goes for all the sudden falling out of love with Kevin Costner. There is a lot of bias with critics.

As regards Offred/June surviving: she is the lead character and THT is not the first or the last good series to have the lead character survive against odds that other characters would not. From James Bond to Nidge to Walter White to Batman, each character was saved so the series will continue even if in reality, this would not happen. This once more is TV not real world and we must remember contractual issues have to be obeyed too.
    Youre reading way too much into that. Everyone thinks of it as a complete work of fiction for entertainment purposes, if you think america ever has any chance of becoming anything like how gilead is portrayed then youre just being hysterical

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Elisabeth Moss being a Sciencetologist that is the sad thing about this show as that brings more eyes to that cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This season isn't as good as the previous one, which wasn't as good as the first. It's a fascinating world but sadly the writers aren't up to the task of exploring it through the lens of June's experience without breaking the established rules of that world to give her plot armour and (presumably) haven't the freedom to kill her off (due to Elizabeth Moss's star power) to allow that world to be developed through other characters viewpoints.

There's nothing political about the fall off in the critical ratings: it's a reflection of a fall off in the quality of the show. I'm still watching (and looking forward to) the show each week but it's simply not as good as it once was and that's a shame.

This is the best one yet! Season 3 is less popular than the previous two because critics are being paid to slate it; because Americans are afraid of it.

I suppose you're so scared of there being young offenders in Cork that you are afraid of The Young Offenders and don't rate it highly.

It happens. There was a major moderate get behind of the first season and yes a paranoia about comparing Gilead to the real world scenarios even pre-9th April Trump admin let alone Bolton's regime.
    I'm sorry but this is serious paranoid nonsense that I'd expect out of the White House. Its not being received as well because its not as good as it was. Nobody is slating you for liking it or enjoying it as we're all entitled to like what we want but to say it's being less received because of a political conspiracy?? Jesus, give me a break.

TV and film aiding political conspiracy happens. Rambo 3 and Chuck Norris anyone???!!! Plenty self styled 'conservatives' do not like THT. I am NOT saying all the anti-season 3 people are 100% comprised of these but politically motivated critics DO exist. Norris' films and the Rambo sequels constantly get slated by the moderates you notice too as 'infantile right wing macho rubbish' and so on!!
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Youre reading way too much into that. Everyone thinks of it as a complete work of fiction for entertainment purposes, if you think america ever has any chance of becoming anything like how gilead is portrayed then youre just being hysterical

It is speculative fiction but is based on many facts from the past not necessarily all American. Margaret Atwood drew on everything from Pilgrims/Puritan era New England to Ceausescu Romania.

The current John Bolton regime SCARES the hell out of me and I will be very definite here: the next Hitler-type world power probably will arise from Bolton's America. This DOES NOT mean however that Bolton will order women to dress as Handmaids and so on but it also does NOT mean the current Bolton regime is a normal American government. It is all the bad things America is rolled into one. But if it does cause a civil war, god knows what could happen: America can be no more complacent than other places. The end result would be more Milosevic than Commander Fred I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I would like to see more of Gilead,

How does it function, who are it's leaders?
    What's the White House like?

I'd like to see some military action from the rebels or more information on the rest of the world. What countries are still standing, etc.

All Eyes On Rafah

I would like to see more of Gilead,

How does it function, who are it's leaders?
    What's the White House like?

I'd like to see some military action from the rebels or more information on the rest of the world. What countries are still standing, etc.

My main fault with the series is exactly this!! I would love to see more of Gilead and how it works as you describe. I get the feeling that this will be the subject of a spinoff series called Gilead or Divine Republic or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It is speculative fiction but is based on many facts from the past not necessarily all American. Margaret Atwood drew on everything from Pilgrims/Puritan era New England to Ceausescu Romania.
    Was it not predominantly based on the Iranian Revolution and picturing what that
    might look like in the US (with Christianity substituting for Islam)?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Anyone know where I can watch S3 Ep7? Bastard Eir cut off the recording about 15 mins from the end.

I got as far as
    just after they hanged the martha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Neyite wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can watch S3 Ep7? Bastard Eir cut off the recording about 15 mins from the end.

I got as far as
    just after they hanged the martha

On terrestrial tv? Pm me if you’d like to know elsewhere!

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Was it not predominantly based on the Iranian Revolution and picturing what that
    might look like in the US (with Christianity substituting for Islam)?

It was based on many things and partly on that revolution and also the Russian one but using Christianity instead of Islam or communism. Here is a list of the things in The Handmaid's Tale and what influenced them:

Theocracy born out of a war: Iran Revolution and Iran-Iraq war.
    The wall: Berlin wall.
    The eyes: Secret police in East Germany.
    Children taken from real parents: The children of opposition figures were taken and given to new families under the Galtieri regime in Argentina.
    Obsession with fertility: Ceausescu's Romania.
    The complete overhaul of society: Pol Pot's regime.
    The clothes: Puritan America.
    The Handmaid's bonnet: from a product called Old Dutch Cleanser.

Advertisement