Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Aunt Lydia is not to be trusted. I think that while she has some kindness in her, she is mostly a sadist and a control freak. Her attitude to handmaids seems to be: I can beat them, control them and torture them but I protect them from other forces. But I'd trust Serena, Fred, etc. before her: she is more sadistic than any of them. June I am sure will regret any trust she places in Aunt Lydia who usually ends up either torturing handmaids or forcing handmaids to commit some act of violence for Gilead.

The actress Ann Dowd (Aunt Lydia) is a great actress, I first noticed her in the movie Compliance (2012), where she plays a restaurant manageress who is duped in a fake phone call by a man posing as a real cop to search one of her employees, based on a true story.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1971352/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Interesting way to do a mini time jump in this weeks episode.

You look at someone the wrong way in Gilead you get put on the wall yet June can do everything and anything and face no real punishment, If the writers had any balls they would kill her off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Neyite wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can watch S3 Ep7? Bastard Eir cut off the recording about 15 mins from the end.

I got as far as
    just after they hanged the martha

I stream it from the All4 app.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    I stream it from the All4 app.

I've got that installed, so will give that a go tonight thanks. Chances are RTE might have fixed their player glitch by now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Just starting episode 7 and at this stage I rather read what happens ahead and then watch if I think I miss anything any good.

As someone mentioned, Jane should be dead ages ago from what she is allowed to get away with.

Would like to see more about Nick story now and where he's going for example or more back stories of some of the other characters.

Getting tiresome on the long scenes of nothing
    time in Washington at the monument
    It makes no sense to me having the handmaids involved with the hanging, have they not got the army for that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I know many will disagree but that was probably my favourite episode of the season (besides any of the scenes from Canada because I'm enjoying the POV).

It was a nice change of pace and
    I enjoyed the almost role rehearsal between June and Janine as well as the glimpse of humanity we saw from Mrs Waterford, the Doctor and the girl in the hallway
    Though nothing really happened it did in some ways move the plot a long and felt like one of the more positive episodes in the end
    I do worry though that we are headed for a season 4 of June still in Gilead helping children escape with the same old exchanges between all the characters. I don't actually want to see June die, it would be far more interesting to see her escape to Canada or be part of some under ground movement and be part of a revolution against Gilead. The show need a big change of pace/scenery for season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

it was not a bad epsiode but with a season arc that is already very slow getting going it does not need a bottle episode. The writers can be as artistic as they like just start moving the overall storyline along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Definitely a time jump for June.

Maybe an excuse to give the other characters a few episodes to explore their lives while she was away.

I think it was episode 6 or 7 but I thought when Gilead was doing that live telecast with the handmaids kneeling that June was going to remove one of the red mouth things from one of the handmaids and expose the stapled mouth for the live cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think it was episode 6 or 7 but I thought when Gilead was doing that live telecast with the handmaids kneeling that June was going to remove one of the red mouth things from one of the handmaids and expose the stapled mouth for the live cameras.
    I doubt it was live.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A real nothing of an episode that saw nothing more than time pass, June yet again get away with a crime
    the attempted murder of Serena
    that would put her on the wall in this world and a defiant vow of retribution from someone powerless to enact that act!

Still enjoying it myself, for all the whingers going on about dark shots episode 8 is very bright indeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They barely have food yet they have state of the art hospitals and TV stations and can party like the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

This show is in need of an injection of good writing. It feels like the writers are just milking the shows popularity and have run out of ideas it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Diceicle wrote: »
    This show is in need of an injection of good writing. It feels like the writers are just milking the shows popularity and have run out of ideas it would seem.

The walking dead syndrome! Nearly a parody show now

As for the handmaids tale still enjoying but its sad to see such a top quality show gradually degrade to absolutely mediocre television. Plenty of scenes in the first season gave me shivers they were so good. Now just trudging through each episode, even go on my phone a good bit during it, dont miss anything :/

Another thing that makes this a bit unrealistic, most dystopian dramas I've seen like Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984, you sense they are watching you as there is cameras everywhere. Yet brightly lit places like the hospital have none,
    June does a lot of stuff that would've deemed her for the wall had she been spotted and filmed, such as retrieving the scalpel from the bin and messing with the brain dead girls tubes and her Serena attack.
    But no, no cameras or CCTV anywhere considering how the ruling army is armed to the teeth, with drones, helicopters, heavy duty personal at their disposal. The scenes with Nick too this season and in previous seasons. How do the authorities keep track all the time, just seems a bit inconsistent that way. Otherwise still enjoying it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

That was poor showing indeed.

Was like the episode in breaking bad with the fly. Unnecessary and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Another thing that makes this a bit unrealistic, most dystopian dramas I've seen like Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984, you sense they are watching you as there is cameras everywhere. Yet brightly lit places like the hospital have none,
    June does a lot of stuff that would've deemed her for the wall had she been spotted and filmed, such as retrieving the scalpel from the bin and messing with the brain dead girls tubes and her Serena attack.
    But no, no cameras or CCTV anywhere considering how the ruling army is armed to the teeth, with drones, helicopters, heavy duty personal at their disposal. The scenes with Nick too this season and in previous seasons. How do the authorities keep track all the time, just seems a bit inconsistent that way. Otherwise still enjoying it a bit.

They're breaking their own rules because they're bad writers and out of ideas.

I can go along with any setting or contrivance in a show once it sticks to it but when it starts breaking its own rules, such as June getting away with things that people were hanged for for less, it loses all logic and believability.

I've said I'd quit this show for so long but always hung on with the hope it would improve but it just hasn't and really has jumped the shark. It should be finished up soon while the show still had leeway with the network and can plan an end.

Yeh, June getting away with everything and anything really has ruined the show. Theres no persistent sense of fear or dread any longer like there was in season one so all the tension is gone, and you know whenever shes sassy or cheeky to authorities that she wont even be punished like everyone else, much less executed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Just catching up on tonight’s episode.

Don’t get it at all.

Spoiler ahead! (Don’t know how to do the spoiler blackout, sorry)

What caused ofMatthew going postal in the supermarket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

For heavens sake , June just waltzes around breaking every rule she comes across and is untouchable . Its getting ridiculous now .
    And if I see another close up of Junes angry face then I might string her up myself

Can anyone explain what drove Of Mathew off the rail in the end ? Am I sliw or what was she dreading ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I enjoyed tonight's episode. The Aunt Lydia backstory was what I thought.
    She was a teacher but a rather nice one and then a personal issue turns her nasty
    . Let's hope next we will see how Aunt Lydia got involved with the pre-Gilead extremists like Sons of Jacob.

The ending tonight
    felt like a Breaking Bad or Love/Hate episode:great to see a handmaid freak out and apparently kill one of those corrupt Gileadean cops that go around intimidating everyone

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    For heavens sake , June just waltzes around breaking every rule she comes across and is untouchable . Its getting ridiculous now .
    And if I see another close up of Junes angry face then I might string her up myself

Can anyone explain what drove Of Mathew off the rail in the end ? Am I sliw or what was she dreading ?
    I believe when Aunt Lydia asked June over to chat in the shop she became paranoid that they were still criticising her for saying earlier that she didnt want the baby, couldnt take the pressure and snapped

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

Such a pity that a series that had so much potential, and still has so many roads it could go down, insists on plodding away at the same thing over and over again. Patience definitely running out. Even the music soundtrack has gone rubbish!!!!
    And poor Janine, the unluckiest woman in Gilead!!!!!!!!!

I think I might be done. I used to love This Is Us but then I started to read the summary of each episode instead of watching it and now getting to that stage with Handmaids too.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh, June getting away with everything and anything really has ruined the show. Theres no persistent sense of fear or dread any longer like there was in season one so all the tension is gone, and you know whenever shes sassy or cheeky to authorities that she wont even be punished like everyone else, much less executed

I think there is a strong reason why Aunt Lydia is being lenient to June, she has a calming influence on the rest of the handmaids, Lydia called on her during the Janine baby episode on the bridge. Whether that's good or bad the handmaids seem to follow June's instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

wakka12 wrote: »
    I believe when Aunt Lydia asked June over to chat in the shop she became paranoid that they were still criticising her for saying earlier that she didnt want the baby, couldnt take the pressure and snapped

I think it was menioned in earlier episodes that she had already handed over three babies and although she followed the party line of appearing to be loyal to Gilead, behind her mask, this caused her a lot of anguish. She never allowed herself to mourn or express her sadness in private, like the other handmaids do. All of that internal pressure and the consequences of ratting out the Martha just made her explode. At least the other Handmaids support each other with their struggles, ofMatthew never allowed herself the chance.

I actually enjoyed the Lydia backstory but it wasn't very plausible that she turned evil and bitter overnight simply as a result of one bad moment on a date with a colleague.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I wondered why June is allowed to get away with so much and my theory is that it's leverage to get Nicole back from CA.

If they execute June, then could it be that Luke as her husband is then the default guardian under international law? And since they know that there is no biological connection to Fred, the Waterfords would lose Nicole for sure having no legal claim over her. As of now her presence during their media appeals gives credence to their story that June has willingly handed Nicole over for adoption and she was subsequently kidnapped by a rogue handmaid, but without June they lose all claim to the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wouldn’t you think with babies being so precious and so rare that they would have trained obstetricians and trained midwives to deliver them ? I mean they have hospitals and facilities yet let chanting Handmaids and untrained Wives deliver a most treasured child

• Advertisement

They shot a pregnant handmaid dead killing her and her baby, but June is allowed saunter around assaulting people and sending babies over the border into Canada without reprocussion. Right.

Advertisement