Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah, I'm not complaining - will jus have to avoid reading the thread Mon/Tue's :pac:

Just don't read it from about 8am Wednesday morning till after it airs Thursday evening on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yep looks like we will have to avoid the thread on a Wednesday .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I really wish it was just one season
    It’s too grim a storyline for me to keep going with it I feel

Rfrip wrote: »
    I really wish it was just one season
    It’s too grim a storyline for me to keep going with it I feel

I have to say I felt the same . I debated whether to watch anymore . If June gets sent back to Aunt Lydia I am not sure I could handle it really

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Was expecting Aunt Lydia to be more sadistic towards June/Offred.

Slightly turning into a Stepford surrogate near the end.

Since they announced a third season, will be curious how they will continue to have June after she has the baby (can't see them atm writing her out of the show as they will lose a main character).

Will like to see how Aunt Lydia life was like before.

• Advertisement

Marje wrote: »
    Was expecting Aunt Lydia to be more sadistic towards June/Offred.

Slightly turning into a Stepford surrogate near the end.

Since they announced a third season, will be curious how they will continue to have June after she has the baby (can't see them atm writing her out of the show as they will lose a main character).

Will like to see how Aunt Lydia life was like before.

I find this Aunt Lydia even more frightening . I am waiting for her to rip Junes heart out of her chest or worse . My guess is once the baby is born there will be a huge price to pay . I will have the remote control in my fist then for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

I am planning Aunt Lydias demise in my own head. Stoned but alive enough to have her tongue cut out and her limbs burned on a hob. It just shows what a great actress she is that I have this level of hate towards her. She reminds me of the nuns who taught me in school. Lols. Not really lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

So mayday say they will not help handmaids any more. Well that all but confirms that they will try to kill the handmaids if this keeps up because what better way to kill of gilead than to cut off their supply of children.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's so grim I'm not sure I can keep watching. There needs to be some hope.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I never thought they would break June's spirit but it looks like they have, at least for now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched episodes 2 & 3 of the new season last night

Was anyone else annoyed at June
    over the way she ran out on the Muslim family that were harbouring her? Her actions have condemned the father to death and the mother to becoming a handmaiden* (as they had a child one can assume she's fertile). She all but ran around in the red outfit once she left their house and returning to the airfield she'd originally been heading for when she was initially captured trying to escape Gillead was a stupidly predictable course of action to take. My sympathy for her when she was recaptured was quite limited tbh

*I'll be amazed if we don't see her in this role in a later episode of this season.

I know its a production decision and not the actresses but enough already of zooming in and up Offreds ( Junes ) nostrils . We see that same face and facial expression far too often . The actress is fantastic but the same zoom in on her face for what seems like minutes is getting repetitive and tiresome in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Loving the series but I can't understand why one episode will not deal specifically with the Eyes and a bit about how they do the surveillance on the population, I thought one episode would deal with the Gillead's state intelligence, be it technology like you see in Enemy of the State for tracking individuals. I suppose a future episode might deal with this bit hopefully.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's strange that Nick didn't come under suspicion for helping June escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Characters are pretty sadistic..wouldnt be surprised if they do know and are just waiting for the right moment to make him suffer for what he did
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBpmXhtyaew
    Promo for next week, in the trailer the commander is giving nick a wife, I have no doubt there is some kind of evil motive behind it and its not kindness for his service

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Was wondering is it because he could be a member of the eye (secret police) and not suspected in helping June escape.

Should be good next week going by the promo - wonder will Nick's wife be someone we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Marje wrote: »
    Was wondering is it because he could be a member of the eye (secret police) and not suspected in helping June escape.

Should be good next week going by the promo - wonder will Nick's wife be someone we know.

Maybe the Muslim guy's wife. :eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Did anybody else think that
    Fred seemed a little too eager with regards to that ambassadorial role to Canada? There seemed to be a sense of desperation about it, like maybe he's been playing a long game all this time.

Was there not something in season 1 suggesting that while the hierarchy would put the commander above the eyes, the eyes are somewhat untouchable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im really curious to see where this season goes now. At the end of the last episode it almost felt as if there was no hope anymore, and a third escape attempt by june would probably start getting a bit ridiculous, so the only way out I could imagine for June is some kind of overthrow of gilead or foreign rescue of handmaids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Here’s a silly conspiracy-theory-type idea: maybe the writers haven’t really shot beyond the last episode yet* and are filming each at the last moment after crowd-sourcing speculation from all over the internet about the upcoming plot. They’re risk-junkies running on adrenaline and AI. :pac: (*Except for any trailer material, which is actually randomly-generated and must somehow be incorporated after-the-fact)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I wasn't being serious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Can I ask, does anyone know, the couple that she stayed with (hid in their house), she mentioned something about they played their cards right and were able to live like that as a result... Is it that June was a "fallen women" due to the affair and not being married (?) and that's how she became a handmaid? I thought all fertile women became one. I was confused how the family were allowed live happily. Is it because they were married?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I find this Aunt Lydia even more frightening . I am waiting for her to rip Junes heart out of her chest or worse . My guess is once the baby is born there will be a huge price to pay . I will have the remote control in my fist then for sure

Oh god, I know. A friend of mine text me during the last episode and said Aunty is being kind! What?!? It was clearly an act, she is sadistic.!!

neonsofa wrote: »
    Can I ask, does anyone know, the couple that she stayed with (hid in their house), she mentioned something about they played their cards right and were able to live like that as a result... Is it that June was a "fallen women" due to the affair and not being married (?) and that's how she became a handmaid? I thought all fertile women became one. I was confused how the family were allowed live happily. Is it because they were married?

I wondered the same. Or was it because they tried to escape?

Oh god, I know. A friend of mine text me during the last episode and said Aunty is being kind! What?!? It was clearly an act, she is sadistic.!!

She petrifies me both when she is vile and when she is " kind " . I shivered in horrror when she kissed June ! I saw that in nuns in school , nicey nicey and then wham you got a whack of a book on the back of the head .! Aunty scares the living daylights out of me

neonsofa wrote: »

I thought it had something to do with going to prayers etc . But I also wondered what June meant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I thought it had something to do with going to prayers etc . But I also wondered what June meant

I thought the focus on prayers was to show that they went with convention for safety but their own religious stuff under the bed showed that they don't agree with it in reality. Cause June said it before the church thing and she expressed surprise that he goes to church.

• Advertisement

She petrifies me both when she is vile and when she is " kind " . I shivered in horrror when she kissed June ! I saw that in nuns in school , nicey nicey and then wham you got a whack of a book on the back of the head .! Aunty scares the living daylights out of me

Same. She plays her so well though. It's truly terrifying. When she casually showed June the man hanging, it was so twisted.

May the Lord open :D

Advertisement