Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelves for alcove advice needed

• 26-03-2017 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

I need 5 shelves which i have the brackets for.

The shelves needed are 5 ft long, 12" deep and 1.5" thick.

I've been to a few places but they don't do these off the shelf, the 12" seems to be the issue. Had one place quote them in Oak but would be 500 euro.

Does anybody know where i could get them done in pine or something around the 250 price.

Total wood newbie here. Are these type of shelves being made by joiners as you cant buy them in the timber yards I've tried

Thanks

Robert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what part of the county are tyou in

you should be able to get stair thread at 12". it would be 1.5"

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jinx9000

what part of the county are tyou in

you should be able to get stair thread at 12". it would be 1.5"

I'm in dub city centre. Would Chadwick's do it

Thanks for the heads up

Robert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If that doesn't work you can get red wood sheets that are 8 X 4 and 3/4 " thick.
    You could cut them into strips and glu them together. Even at 80 Euro each they would be cheaper than paying someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You are unlikely to find a pine faced product made to your exact dimensions. You could use 18 + 25 mm pine board ( bought in 8x 4 sheets ) cut down and tacked together. It would be quite expensive.
    When I need thick shelves I now use flush doors. Its not a silly as it sounds. You can cut into a cheap flush door to expose the 'eggbox' interior. If you then glue in a slip of wood between the cut edges it retains all the stiffness of the original door. The slips must be a snug fit but can be hand planed. A standard flush door is 32" wide so in theory you would only get two shelves out of a door unless you can find a 36" door with a pine finish that is acceptable.The original door edge is made of hardwood usually and can be facing to the front. Food for thought.:rolleyes:

thanks guys for the help

I saw these today

http://www.thetimberyard.ie/Solid-Oak-Worktops-Dublin-Ireland-Quinn-Hardwoods-Ltd-s/1956.htm

oak work tops, I would get 4 shelves per one. im juts not sure on the price yet?

they would prob looks class though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

jinx9000 wrote: »
    thanks guys for the help

I saw these today

http://www.thetimberyard.ie/Solid-Oak-Worktops-Dublin-Ireland-Quinn-Hardwoods-Ltd-s/1956.htm

oak work tops, I would get 4 shelves per one. im juts not sure on the price yet?

they would prob looks class though

Very heavy - you would need really secure brackets. If it was cut down on a tablesaw the sawmarks need to be cleaned up with a sander or router.

mmm, thanks for all the advice

Advertisement