Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy PC?

Options
  • 26-03-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Past couple months there's been an intermittent noisy whine from my pc.....I tried opening up the case and do a simple sound test with my ear but can't locate it ....I've since upgraded the processor, hard drive and gfx card , my psu I took apart and cleaned thoroughly and faced fan down (it had been fan up) ......the problem went away, now it's back not as bad or for as long but still makes a noise on start up and occasionally during use......any ideas ? it has to be the psu right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Past couple months there's been an intermittent noisy whine from my pc.....I tried opening up the case and do a simple sound test with my ear but can't locate it ....I've since upgraded the processor, hard drive and gfx card , my psu I took apart and cleaned thoroughly and faced fan down (it had been fan up) ......the problem went away, now it's back not as bad or for as long but still makes a noise on start up and occasionally during use......any ideas ? it has to be the psu right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Probably the PSU or graphics card. If you can pin point it to either you could replace (if the graphics card is new you might get a replacement under warranty).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Lu Tze wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Probably the PSU or graphics card. If you can pin point it to either you could replace (if the graphics card is new you might get a replacement under warranty).

I changed gfx completely, same noise

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PSU so. Loads do it.

ED E wrote: »
    PSU so. Loads do it.

It's 750 watt? tho it's not what you'd call a 'brand' name and is a good 3 or 4 yrs old now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It's 750 watt? tho it's not what you'd call a 'brand' name and is a good 3 or 4 yrs old now

It doesn't matter, it can be pot luck at times, down to a particular unit

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, it can be pot luck at times, down to a particular unit

True....should probably go with a new psu so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

True....should probably go with a new psu so

Sure no harm, usually I would give it one clean and then after that it would be a new unit. I'd say a ball bearing is shot. It's a process of elimination really just change parts till the noise is gone.

Bit off topic but I am surprised more of the PSUs don't go on fire. Some dust collectors!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll likely find if you actually had the hardware to pull 750W(doubt you do) that it'd be deadly silent. Usually happens at some mid load level.

My CX430 did it at like 110W from the wall. Really noticeable during POST when the draw was lower again.

Advertisement