Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge - Red Robbin - shade?

Options
  • 26-03-2017 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a sth facing garden....at the back fence we want to plant a hedge for privacy etc. Being south facing, this back fence is usually in the shade, would Red Robbin do well here? - i was going to buy 1.5 - 1.75m specimens, so the hedge tips will be already over the fence.

Would it be better to plant them in a raised bed - say 3 side sleepers high - to encourage growth?

Anybody any suggestion/opinion?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

I know your probably looking for an instant hedge .. but in my opinion you would be better of getting 9 to 12 inch high plants down close enough and kept clipped tightly on height for first 2 years this will make sure your hedge knits tightly together from bottom to top .
    After that you can start to let them get a bit of height .. I have hedge in same sinario as you and its doing fine ... the bit of shelter from the wall will do it no harm .. I dug a trench and filled it with well rotted fym then covered with clay and planted hedge , I also throw grass clippings down the back between hedge and wall to feed hedge .
    Just my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I planted this hedging last year. I thought I had to leave it to grow in height? So really I should clip off some of the height?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

From my personal experience is when you keep them clipped for first few years it promotes growth in lower branches giving it time to thicken and close in the bottom .. then when this is achieved you can start to let it get height .. all bushes /plants left to there own devises will head for the sun .

Advertisement