Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miele washing machines

• 26-03-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there,

Currently looking into buying a washing machine and drier for a new house. From what I gather Miele seem to be one the of the better brands to get. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Would prefer to get something reliable that will last. Do miele washing machines still have a good reputation?

Currently looking at the Miele WKB120.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sir Scruff

Have also noticed that Miele washing machines are supposed to come with a 10 year warranty, but when checking online in various stores they only seem to offer a 2 year warranty.

Is this correct? Do you have to pay extra for the 10 year warranty and how much roughly would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Canyoutell

We bought a miele washing machine 17 years ago when we moved into our house. 4 kids 2 adults live here so it is well used, haven't even got it serviced in all that time. It's a premier 300, couldn't recommend highly enough.
    Tumble dryer seems different, we have had 3 in that time, a miele, a hotpoint and currently a zanussi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sir Scruff wrote: »
    Have also noticed that Miele washing machines are supposed to come with a 10 year warranty, but when checking online in various stores they only seem to offer a 2 year warranty.

Is this correct? Do you have to pay extra for the 10 year warranty and how much roughly would it be?

When I bought my current (second) Miele washing machine, I got a 10 year guarantee letter through the post a few weeks later, I don't remember paying extra for it.

There is an unusual aspect to buying a Miele whereby it appears that you are actually buying the machine from Miele Ireland with the retailer acting as a sort of handling agent. This might explain why the store you're talking to are not 100% up to speed on the Ts & Cs. If the Miele Irl. website says that there is a 10 year guarantee, that would be good enough for me.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Looking at the Miele website, they only seem to offer a 2 year warranty now.
    https://www.miele.ie/domestic/warranty-479.htm#

I thought it was only 2 years on the lower end stuff, but seems across the board now?
    They still claim to be tested for the equivalent of 20 years use.

We have a Miele washing machine that is close on 10 years now. It hasn't given an ounce of trouble and with 2 Adults and 5 Kids, it gets alot of use with up to 3 loads most days.
    We got a Miele condenser dryer which packed in after 8 years. It was heavily used as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sir Scruff

It seems that an option for an extended warranty for up to 10 years is available, but for a fee. Boards wont let me post the link but if you google "miele extended warranty" it is the first hit. No mention on the price but I imagine it varies per product.

That said I have only heard good things about the brand. We are probably going to get a Miele washer, condenser drier, and vacuum as well!

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sir Scruff wrote: »
    That said I have only heard good things about the brand. We are probably going to get a Miele washer, condenser drier, and vacuum as well!

Miele has a well-deserved reputation for making reliable and robust washing machines. But my attitude is that beyond washing machines, you will be paying a premium for the brand name and while it will be a quality product, I think you should look at other brands. I personally think that Miele microwaves, dryers etc are overpriced and probably not much better than other premium (but cheaper) brands.

There is an obvious reason why Miele puts their name on microwaves, vacuum cleaners etc., your response above is the very reason why they do it. It's known as the 'halo effect'.

coylemj wrote: »
    Miele has a well-deserved reputation for making reliable and robust washing machines. But my attitude is that beyond washing machines, you will be paying a premium for the brand name and while it will be a quality product, I think you should look at other brands. I personally think that Miele microwaves, dryers etc are overpriced and probably not much better than other premium (but cheaper) brands.

There is an obvious reason why Miele puts their name on microwaves, vacuum cleaners etc., your response above is the very reason why they do it. It's known as the 'halo effect'.
    Sounds a bit like Vauxhaul & Opel cars in the past, same car different badges and the Opel was about 20% more expensive.

Advertisement