Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again - Irish and German

Options
  • 26-03-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Am thinking of going back to college and training as an Irish and German post primary teacher. They were my favourite (and strongest) subjects in school myself and I've always regretted not having done a language degree for my first undergrad.

I fear my parents response when I tell them how much money I'll be going to again, so before I start setting wheels in motion - are these popular subject combinations? Would there be a demand for them? Basically, should I even consider this at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Am thinking of going back to college and training as an Irish and German post primary teacher. They were my favourite (and strongest) subjects in school myself and I've always regretted not having done a language degree for my first undergrad.

I fear my parents response when I tell them how much money I'll be going to again, so before I start setting wheels in motion - are these popular subject combinations? Would there be a demand for them? Basically, should I even consider this at all?

There is a demand for language teachers - definitely Irish. The uptake for German would not be the same for French and Spanish but there still are vacancies.

It is possible to study in the evening - I did it to add a subject - it was tough working and studying but when I got to university in the evening - I loved it.

Be aware that the dip (now PME) is two years with a price tag of €12,000+. Again it is possible to do the dip with Hibernia and work but remember that you will have blocks of teaching practice.

Other things to consider - have you been back to a school since your day? Have you observed a teacher and what they deal with on a daily basis - it isn't easy work and you need to be aware of this before you start.

You mention that you have a degree already - if you have a subject where you can register with the Teaching Council - why not do the dip with that subject and study your Irish in the evening?

I hope that answers your questions - ask away if you have more. Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

There is a demand for language teachers - definitely Irish. The uptake for German would not be the same for French and Spanish but there still are vacancies.

It is possible to study in the evening - I did it to add a subject - it was tough working and studying but when I got to university in the evening - I loved it.

Be aware that the dip (now PME) is two years with a price tag of €12,000+. Again it is possible to do the dip with Hibernia and work but remember that you will have blocks of teaching practice.

Other things to consider - have you been back to a school since your day? Have you observed a teacher and what they deal with on a daily basis - it isn't easy work and you need to be aware of this before you start.

You mention that you have a degree already - if you have a subject where you can register with the Teaching Council - why not do the dip with that subject and study your Irish in the evening?

I hope that answers your questions - ask away if you have more. Best of luck with your decision.

I kno from my own school days that German wasn't as popular as French, and we didn't have Spanish. But I loved it (probably a result of having a great teacher.)

While I haven't been to a school, I come from a family of teachers. My parents are both teachers, and most of their friends are too. It may not be the same as seeing it happen in a school environment, but I'm well versed in the realities of teaching (or I'd imagine.)

My undergraduate is in journalism, which I don't think I could tie in with anything on the Teaching Council unfortunately.

I kno from my own school days that German wasn't as popular as French, and we didn't have Spanish. But I loved it (probably a result of having a great teacher.)

While I haven't been to a school, I come from a family of teachers. My parents are both teachers, and most of their friends are too. It may not be the same as seeing it happen in a school environment, but I'm well versed in the realities of teaching (or I'd imagine.)

My undergraduate is in journalism, which I don't think I could tie in with anything on the Teaching Council unfortunately.

Well you might be a few credits off for teaching English - over subscribed subject but a good one to have while you train for Irish/teaching. Looking at the list of recognised subjects - there is only one degree that allows registration - DIT BA journalism and a language. The TC will check your qualifications for a fee of e200 and tell you what you need but that is for down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Well you might be a few credits off for teaching English - over subscribed subject but a good one to have while you train for Irish/teaching. Looking at the list of recognised subjects - there is only one degree that allows registration - DIT BA journalism and a language. The TC will check your qualifications for a fee of e200 and tell you what you need but that is for down the road.

My undergraduate is from DCU, I've pretty much resigned myself to having to start again from scratch. As I said re retraining.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Go for it! I'm teaching four years in English and History, the most common subject combination and I've been in full employment ever since I graduated (although I did go to the UK for some of it) You will have no problems at all. My school was crying out for irish and German teachers this year and it took a few months of advertising before they found any. You will be unlikely to get a permanent job for some time but there will definitely be work available for you until that happens. Plus, subbing is everyone's foot in the door, and you'll be snapped up quickly!

• Advertisement

My undergraduate is from DCU, I've pretty much resigned myself to having to start again from scratch. As I said re retraining.

I know but I'm just saying the quicker you can qualify the better it is for yourself in terms of employment which can take up to five years if you're lucky and don't forget the pension. I'm just thinking that a degree will take three/four years and then a two year PME. If you could get one registered subject, do the PME and then do the Irish/German later on.

Advertisement