Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion timer?

Options
  • 26-03-2017 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Is possible to get a timer for an Immersion that has a simple set timing on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

xlogo wrote: »
    Is possible to get a timer for an Immersion that has a simple set timing on it?

Yes.

Here something you're thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've always hated those flash timers :(

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've always hated those flash timers :(

If it ain't broke don't fix it...,

They are the easiest and are good quality. Fitted many.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is fitting one of those a job a DIY'er could safely do on an immersion that currently has two switches - on/off and bath/sink?

If not, how much would an electrician be likely to charge to supply and fit a suitable timer switch in North County Dublin?

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is fitting one of those a job a DIY'er could safely do on an immersion that currently has two switches - on/off and bath/sink?

If not, how much would an electrician be likely to charge to supply and fit a suitable timer switch in North County Dublin?

If one were to it would be wise to make sure all power is off and connections are tight.

I think that's a given with any electrical work punisher5112!

I've had no real problems to date swapping light switches / socket plates / lighting fixtures etc. Would just like to have an idea if this is something within the capability of an amateur or, if not, how much it's likely to cost me to pay a professional to do.

Sleepy wrote:
    I think that's a given with any electrical work punisher5112!

I had a phone call from a guy. He said that he wanted to pay me to clean the filter in his electric shower. I told him it's something he could easily do for himself. He explained that a plumber had shown him how to do it but when he tried it ,it hurt him and he fell to the floor. Apparently the plumber didn't show him how to turn the power off first. Poor guy didn't realize that he'd been electrocuted. It's always worth reminding people to turn off the power first

Two sleepy funny how close names are.

Back to issue you asked some would think power is off as switch is off and also just because MCB is off may not cut all power just be careful all was meant.

Its something can be done but to say its easy would be an insult to those who do the work.

If cable has been terminated before don't just plonk back in as new connection would be better so cut back a bit and peel back the outer protector a little to fit in nicely to terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,086 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Make sure to get a 16A timer (the one in the pic in the link is) - the cheaper timers in many DIY multiples are 13A if even. I've had B&Qs finest digital burn out in three different houses that someone - not me - fitted them to.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a safe but basic (i.e. cheap) manual timer? Or is it something that's fairly generic once you're in a heaters merchant / electrical wholesaler?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Any recommendations for a safe but basic (i.e. cheap) manual timer? Or is it something that's fairly generic once you're in a heaters merchant / electrical wholesaler?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01L4P5C4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great piece of kit (integrated fused spur)

Thought the digital ones were best avoided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It would be a good one in conjunction with a 20 amp contactor. The timer is rated at 13 amps, too close to the immersion bath load for direct switching probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,086 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm very happy with my Sangamo digital one. - 7 individual day settings and a 30/60/90 minute boost function.

Had trouble finding any 16A digital ones at all - there seems to be a cheap chipset that everyone uses, you can tell it by the four button control input, having to choose a day pattern rather than setting per day and no boost function. And its always 13A. This was the only 16A I could find one in a shop when I finally decided I couldn't cope with getting up 20 mins early every morning.

Not even vaguely cheap though - £60 from Sangamo direct, think I paid €80 in PH Ross. I'd say the boost function has saved me that and more since I got it - very easy to hit on, shower, go out to the pub and come home at 3am to hear the immersion near boiling as I haven't fitted a tank 'stat yet...

L1011 wrote:
    Not even vaguely cheap though - £60 from Sangamo direct, think I paid €80 in PH Ross. I'd say the boost function has saved me that and more since I got it - very easy to hit on, shower, go out to the pub and come home at 3am to hear the immersion near boiling as I haven't fitted a tank 'stat yet...

I've had this timer 7 or 8 years now. Great timer and the boost button must have saved us a lot of money in this time

Advertisement