Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password problem extern Hard Drive.

Options
  • 26-03-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

I have a "WD Passport" external 1TB hard drive and I have forgotten the password. Before the password was forgotten, I programmed my PC to automatically recognise the WD. The problem now is, I can only use the WD on my PC and on no other PC.
    If I had forgotten the password but not programmed my pc to recognise it, it would have prompted me to "reset" the WD after maybe 5 failed attempts to log on. But because the WD opens automatically, it doesn't offer the "reset" option.
    If the data on the WD is lost, no problem. I just want to reset it.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the password is stored in windows you should be able to recover it with a password recovery tool. If its stored in some WD program it may be more difficult.

The simplest solution if you want to reset it is probably to enable the guest account on your computer and login as it. It shouldnt have access to the drive and will let you fail to login 5 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

I see what you mean ED E. I'm using Windows 10. I know that in previous versions, creating a guest account was a fairly straightforward business but not (it seems) in Windows 10 - at least not unless you really know what your doing. I looked it up and I'd be slow to try it in case I ended up gumming up my system.

WD have a help website and they invite questions. I've sent them my detail several times but have had no response.

In their FAQ section, they advise a reset if you've forgotten the PW, but advise that you'll lose the data on the disc. Obviously that isn't an issue with me since I have disc access and could shift the data before resetting. But it doesn't seem to have occurred to WD that under certain circumstances, the "reset" option cannot be accessed.

Advertisement