Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in road incident in Clare today

Options
  • 26-03-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

RIP

Cyclist (50) killed after collision with camper van in Clare http://jrnl.ie/3307990

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

RIP

We're dropping like flies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Very sorry to hear of yet another cyclist dying needlessly on our roads. This latest death happened close to where I'm from originally. The main road between Limerick and Shannon is very popular with road cyclists. It's a dual carriageway but it's a national road, not a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

RIP. Does anybody know where (s)he is from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

Awful news. Seems to be happening quite frequently :( RIP and condolences to the family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JosDel wrote: »
    RIP

Cyclist (50) killed after collision with camper van in Clare http://jrnl.ie/3307990

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but we need to stop calling these 'accidents'. They are crashes or collisions or incidents or whatever - but they're not accidents. That's a loaded, judgemental term about what happened designed to let people off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

RIP.

Seem to be seeing (and writing) those three letters far too often of late :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Awful news. Awful stats for this year. The picture of the damage to the camper van on the Clare Herald article is pretty frightening to see how much damage a collision with a flimsy bike and human can do.
    I've walked away from two crashes with cars (three if you count the one where I stayed on and they didn't even stop :mad: ) - reminds you how lucky you are to get up and walk away.

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Awful news,and on such a beautiful day to be riding a bike.....RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but we need to stop calling these 'accidents'. They are crashes or collisions or incidents or whatever - but they're not accidents. That's a loaded, judgemental term about what happened designed to let people off the hook.

Listening to the radio this evening I heard it announced on the news that the cyclist collided with the camper van.

The way it was read out made it sound like the cyclist was at fault.

Now I don't want to start speculating but the report struck me as poor reporting.

RIP to the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

RIP

very sad, thoughts go out to his family and friends

I regularly cycle that road mainly because of the hard shoulder its relatively safe to cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

RIP:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

amcalester wrote: »
    Listening to the radio this evening I heard it announced on the news that the cyclist collided with the camper van.

The way it was read out made it sound like the cyclist was at fault.

Now I don't want to start speculating but the report struck me as poor reporting.

RIP to the cyclist.
    Same on the RTE TV news at 9 - 'cyclist collided with camper van' :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

RIP
    Tragically, another life cut short on our roads. Media should refrain from commenting on circumstances as it's just speculation and insensitive to loved ones. Let An Garda investigate cause first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

RIP - and condolences to the man's family.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Same on the RTE TV news at 9 - 'cyclist collided with camper van' :mad:

As does their online article. Awful reporting - why can't they say ''a collision between a camper van and a cyclist"? Blames no one at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

<snip> RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Condolences to the friends and family of this cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Is'nt it terrible that national media are able/allowed to speculate in print and on air about what happens in these incidents/accidents , but regulated forums cannot.
    The lack of regulation towards media and the 'sources/close friend' route is terrible, and very disrepectful to the affected families in all these types of incidents, and wider issues also.

RiP to our fellow cyclist......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 floodser

R.I.P.

Advertisement