Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to introduce document in the French oral?

Options
  • 26-03-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I've been wondering about this, the oral is on Thursday and I've a document mostly prepared on a TY trip to France.

Say the examiner asks me "Have you ever been abroad?" can I introduce the document myself at that point by saying something along the lines of "Yes, here's a picture of me and my classmates in France" and then start talking about the document or do I have to hold off until the examiner asks me about the document himself?

Also, say someone else from my class is using the same trip for their document, as a few probably will, would I lose marks for lack of originality or copying others or anything? Would it be the case that I'd be better off without it? I have loads of material prepared besides the document that I could use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I've been wondering about this, the oral is on Thursday and I've a document mostly prepared on a TY trip to France.

Say the examiner asks me "Have you ever been abroad?" can I introduce the document myself at that point by saying something along the lines of "Yes, here's a picture of me and my classmates in France" and then start talking about the document or do I have to hold off until the examiner asks me about the document himself?

Also, say someone else from my class is using the same trip for their document, as a few probably will, would I lose marks for lack of originality or copying others or anything? Would it be the case that I'd be better off without it? I have loads of material prepared besides the document that I could use.

Yes that's the way I would bring it in - I think it's better to introduce it through the oral instead of at the end.

Don't worry about copying other students - its YOUR oral. The examiner will be well used to listening to the same thing for the week. Also as the document is optional and not marked it doesn't really matter. Definitely bring it in - its three minutes where you say what you have prepared. Bon courage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

My grinds teacher says they usually ask you at the start if you have a document to which you reply yes/no and then they'll come back to when they want.

However, if he/she does ask you about a past holiday/have you ever been to France you could mention that your document is about that by saying "Oui, comme vows voyez avec mon document je suis alle en vanances avec..."

There is no point in talking about your TY trip to your examiner without him/her knowing it's your document, and then when they ask you about your document you just end up repeating what you said earlier, which won't impress them.

hasdanta wrote: »
    My grinds teacher says they usually ask you at the start if you have a document to which you reply yes/no and then they'll come back to when they want.

However, if he/she does ask you about a past holiday/have you ever been to France you could mention that your document is about that by saying "Oui, comme vows voyez avec mon document je suis alle en vanances avec..."

There is no point in talking about your TY trip to your examiner without him/her knowing it's your document, and then when they ask you about your document you just end up repeating what you said earlier, which won't impress them.

Re-read what I said - IF you are asked 'Have you ever been in France?' - Then bring in your document so you avoid repeating yourself when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Re-read what I said - IF you are asked 'Have you ever been in France?' - Then bring in your document so you avoid repeating yourself when asked.

I didn't read your response and was giving my own advice to what the OP posted. Apologies if there was repetition in my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

So I just say something like: "as you can see here in my document I was in France 2 years ago" and then start talking about it.

Will the examiner move away from the document again once I do that? I have 2 or 3 minutes prepared but not enough to carry me to the end of the oral if I bring my document into the conversation at an early point.

• Advertisement

So I just say something like: "as you can see here in my document I was in France 2 years ago" and then start talking about it.

Will the examiner move away from the document again once I do that? I have 2 or 3 minutes prepared but not enough to carry me to the end of the oral if I bring my document into the conversation at an early point.

Yes to both questions - you get one opportunity to say what you want on each topic. 2-3 minutes is perfect - you'd be surprised how quick 12/14 minutes goes. Don't stress over time - be natural and keep talking.

Advertisement