Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower

Options
  • 26-03-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

My electric shower stopped working mid flow!! The on/off button is not putting power into it! Also the main power switch for it, which is outside the bathroom is not working, when I switch it on the light doesn't come on!!

Is this a fuse issue? Is there a fuse in the power switch or does this run off elect?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

dar100 wrote: »
    My electric shower stopped working mid flow!! The on/off button is not putting power into it! Also the main power switch for it, which is outside the bathroom is not working, when I switch it on the light doesn't come on!!

Is this a fuse issue? Is there a fuse in the power switch or does this run off elect?

Thanks

Check your fuse board and see if there is an mcb down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

TheBody wrote: »
    Check your fuse board and see if there is an mcb down.

Sorry what's an Mcb ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Thanks fixed it

You wouldn't happen to know about a boiler fan would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

It's short for miniature circuit breaker. Have a look in your fuse box.

There should be one labelled shower. Even if they are not labelled, u should notice if there is one down.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

on a modern fuseboard there are switches all generally switched in the same direction - look for one thats switched differently to the others and try switching it to match the others

Also look at the switch you use to turn on shower ( outside bathroom ) and see if there is a fuse compartment on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

what type of boiler do you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Get yourself a qualified plumber.....have you not seen Daniel in the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

hi, i hope this is the right forum.
    i'm renovating a house and converting the extension into 2 bedrooms each having it's own shower. There is an existing shower upstairs. I'm told we can't have 2 showers downstairs because it'll drain too much power and that i'll have to install some gravational flow thing (haven't much more detail). I'm a bit skeptical, plenty of houses have multiple showers . can someone fill me in on this . Thanks, Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your own dedicated thread would have been better.

What type of showers do you have & what type of showers do you want to add?

You can't run two electric showers at the same time including a house.

If you want power showers you can run as many as you want but might need a bigger cold water attic tank and a bigger hot water cylinder.

Most homes, if they have a few showers, usually mix electric & power showers

i see i really am clueless. i just thought i'd add showers to each of the two bedroom extensions, nothing too fancy or expensive or complicated. i thought power showers would need even more electricity ? Is there a link somewhere that will clue me in instead of having to walk me though everything. I'm open to suggestions for a good solution. Thanks sleeper12

• Advertisement

A power shower takes water that you have already heated in your hot water cylinder & pumps it out. Once the water is heated the shower itself uses very little electricity. A 10 minute shower will use 100 to 200 litres of water, as much water as having a bath.
    This is my favourite type of shower.

An electric shower heats up the water almost instantly. It uses a lot of electricity while you are actually using it but it is more economical to run as there is no waste & a 10 minute shower uses around 40 litres of water.

You can have as many electric showers in your home as you like but you can only use one at a time. Your electrician can install a priority switch to ensure that only one is used at a time.

I have a power shower in my home. This is our main shower. We also have an electric shower downstairs. The electric is handy if you have no hot water in the cylinder

thanks sleeper12 , thats a clear explanation. That power shower sound like a waterfall. not my cup of tea. i think i'll go the priority switch route. thanks again. Pat

so if i get a priority switch installed , as soon as i turn off the water in a shower , other showers are free to get that priority ? Basically just want to make sure that your not left making sure to remember to flick some switch in a shower each time your finished showering to free up other showers ? Is there something i should specifically look out for or avoid ? thanks

so if i get a priority switch installed , as soon as i turn off the water in a shower , other showers are free to get that priority ? Basically just want to make sure that your not left making sure to remember to flick some switch in a shower each time your finished showering to free up other showers ? Is there something i should specifically look out for or avoid ? thanks

Pretty much yes. Talk to your ele3ctrician and he'll sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 everton55

hi first time here looking for the cost to replace like for like mira sport old one showing low flow no water coming out..... im in cork city thanks for any help.

everton55 wrote:
    hi first time here looking for the cost to replace like for like mira sport old one showing low flow no water coming out..... im in cork city thanks for any help.

Clean the filter. Then try running it without the shower head. In fact you can run it without the hose too. If you still have the flow light on then you a new shower won't work. You'd need to get Irish water out of to test your water pressure.

If the shower works well without the head or hose then these need cleaning or replacing.

A triton t80z is a cheaper replacement yet is same or a better quality

Advertisement