Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lehenaghamore Cork - Buying a House

Options
  • 26-03-2017 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

My fiancé and are looking at buying a new house in one of the new developments in Lehenaghmore, Cork.
    Does anyone here live there or know someone who lives there? Reading online there is a lot of discussion about the lack of infrastructure and transport links, including footpaths, apparently if you don't have a car you are in trouble. I currently do not drive, and would be looking to cycle to work - my work is in Mahon, City Gate. According to google maps it is only 30 mins, however my concern is the standard of the roads and ultimately the safety.

If anybody can give any information about the area I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

rochey147 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My fiancé and are looking at buying a new house in one of the new developments in Lehenaghmore, Cork.
    Does anyone here live there or know someone who lives there? Reading online there is a lot of discussion about the lack of infrastructure and transport links, including footpaths, apparently if you don't have a car you are in trouble. I currently do not drive, and would be looking to cycle to work - my work is in Mahon, City Gate. According to google maps it is only 30 mins, however my concern is the standard of the roads and ultimately the safety.

If anybody can give any information about the area I would really appreciate it.
    I know very little of the area other than what you already know.

It is now however served by the 203 bus route (when they don't strike).

Matthew hill is the only place I know up there.

Most of that cycle is very busy dual carriageway. Few cyclists seems to cycle that road.... maybe as the tunnel is after mahon.

Houses there are a good walk from shops etc, there's nothing but houses & farmland up there really.

Know a good few living in the area. They have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Martha28

I am thinking of buying in Lehenaghmore also and have some of the same concerns. Can anyone tell me what the local schools are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You'll probably get better answers in the Cork forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rochey147

athtrasna wrote: »
    You'll probably get better answers in the Cork forum
    Hey thanks for your input, is the cork forum a forum within boards or a separate forum? Probably a dumb question .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=176

There's a Cork city and Cork county forum on boards. They can be found from the link above

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I live near the area and actually viewed some of the houses.

They are grand houses the rooms are not massive but are an acceptable size.
    Be careful of the house location on the site, because the houses are on a hillside some of them are overshadowed massively by the houses behind them and end up fully shaded for several months of the year. This overshadowing from houses also has a knock on effect on icy winters, as the houses can shade the roads and as its on a hillside at a higher elevation it is prone to ice, i have been up there on mornings where skidding cars were the norm and potential for accidents is massive.

Personally i wouldnt live there currently. The footpaths still arent sorted after 10 years of promises, the bus is only just sorted after 10 years of promises.

A cycle to mahon point is a good distance and is doable, however as it currently stands i couldnt advise anyone to cycle up or down that hill during the dark winter mornings or evenings it simply isnt safe as there are some blind turns on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rochey147

Thanks for your response, yes the lack of infrastructure is a put off, there is even a paper from a UCC masters student which raises serious concerns about the area's footpaths/accessibility.
    I would have no issue walking the bike for a few hundred metres on a footpath but the fact that there is no footpath, and no real plans of a footpath, is a cause of concern. The house is in the estate that is opposite the bus stop, so I wouldn't have to cycle the entire hill or even half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

rochey147 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hi,
    I live in Lehenaghbeg and work in City Gate. In terms of cycling to City Gate, down the hill once you have high vis vest and lights should be ok. The most direct route to City Gate is via south link, but it's crazy to consider cycling that, trust me I've done it. So you'd have to cycle through Douglas and then onto Blackrock.

In terms of infrastructure ya it's pretty bad at the moment but the full bus service is there with a few months now. I've walked up and down the hill, but would only do it in full day light and there's no way I'd do it with kids or buggy etc. There are apparently plans for a full redevelopment, I think it went to tender months back, but haven't heard much since; Facebook group here has more info on the locals trying to get proper infrastructure in place; https://www.facebook.com/Lehenaghbeg/

Advertisement