Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Grange

Options
  • 26-03-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

what broadband provider are you currently use at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Vodafone here, contract runs out in July.

But am expecting changes (perhaps wishful thinking) quite soon. The cabinet for Grange went live for efibre Feb/March and Eir have been in the area updating the lines. They started around Henry's (near to the cabinet) at the start of March and were in Grange on the 18th.

The speed of the efibre is meant to deteriorate depending on distance and I make it that we are about 2.5k form the cabinet. I don't know the speed of the line and am unsure of the speed once it hits Grange. Hopefully it is all in place before my contract ends. Because if its slow I might give Fastcom a try again...

At the moment, I think Digiweb are offering the best value bb and will be looking at them, Sky or Vodafone (bb only) when my contract runs out. I will NEVER go with Eir, their prices are disgusting IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Eir vans have been in Courthouse Drive all weekend. Looks like there's a push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

Yes Eir vans are here all week. I am against Eir and Vodafone for some reasons. Am currently with fastcom till end of the year.

EireGrif wrote: »
    Yes Eir vans are here all week. I am against Eir and Vodafone for some reasons. Am currently with fastcom till end of the year.
    I'm with Fastcom too. 6MB with at least 6 devices working off it and never a problem. There's talk of them upgrading to 20MB at no extra cost but there's nothing on their site about it.

I was wiith Vodafone landline before that and they fleeced me. Never again

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'm with Fastcom too. 6MB with at least 6 devices working off it and never a problem. There's talk of them upgrading to 20MB at no extra cost but there's nothing on their site about it.

Lol, I'm the opposite with Vodafone. They keep on calling me and offering special offers for both my mobile and landlines. So for me its the cheapest at the moment. But am seriously looking at Fastcom. That 20MB will be very tempting if the efibre is slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Might do to harm in checking out West Connect
    No contract, and they have a transmitter in Castlegarren

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

T-Bird wrote: »
    Lol, I'm the opposite with Vodafone. They keep on calling me and offering special offers for both my mobile and landlines. So for me its the cheapest at the moment. But am seriously looking at Fastcom. That 20MB will be very tempting if the efibre is slow.

Yes they did house to house few time here. Very annoying

EireGrif wrote: »
    Yes they did house to house few time here. Very annoying

These were actual phone calls. I always take cold callers to be the kind that will say anything to get you to sign up. Sometimes they are offensive as well as annoying.

Not going to post tomorrow for obvious reasons. But just checked my number on eir.

Great news, you can get eir Fibre Extreme!
    Choose the bundle that works for you.
    We checked 071-91xxxxxx
    Not your number? Start again.

Speeds of up to 1000Mb are available at your home.

- See more at: https://www.eir.ie/broadband/#sthash.TjUv0CI7.dpuf

yippee ki yay!!!

EDIT:

Vodafone, have no plans for efibre in area. They said that they are using different cabinets..
    Saying that, I think the person I was chatting to is incorrect. I cannot imagine them setting up an infrastructure of their own.
    I contacted sky, and they do use same cabinets as eir. These chat now options on the internet are far better than they used to be. No delay, all the info you need and a transcript email to you as well.

Contacted eir via their chat service (very good). efibre in Grange will actually be enabled 3rd May.
    I don't know if it will only be eir, or if any other service providers use same cabinets as them.
    eir prices to me are quite high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

So Grange seems to be getting FTTP rather than FTTC?

Geuze wrote: »

Is there a difference? Is one better than the other?

Edit: Google is my friend.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-difference-fttc-fttp-care/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

FTTP is direct fibre into each house = 150 mb-350mb up to 1000 mb.

Still quite rare in Ireland.

FTTC is common, fibre from the exchange to the cabinet, then old copper lines from the cabinet to the house.

Max speed is 70mb, also depends on how close to the cabinet you are.

Geuze wrote: »

I saw this afterwards, its a year old now. Typical

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-reveals-first-100k-rural-locations-to-get-1gbps-broadband

Below is an extract from chatting with eir and for broadband only.

The price will be varied based on the speed. 55E per month for 150Mb plan. 63E per month for 300Mb and 75E per month for 1000Mb plan

My OH got this email from them last week. Our account is in her name.
    Here at Fastcom, we are committed to delivering the best broadband speed possible to your home.

We have recently upgraded key transmitters across the Northwest so that we can now deliver up to 20Mb at no increase in your monthly fee.

Do you know we re-sell e-fibre and can provide fibre connections up to 100Mb and fibre to the home connections up to 1,000Mb. You can enjoy the same great product cheaper than eir knowing that you are supporting a local business and retaining local jobs.

My OH got this email from them last week. Our account is in her name.
    "Do you know we re-sell e-fibre and can provide fibre connections up to 100Mb and fibre to the home connections up to 1,000Mb. You can enjoy the same great product cheaper than eir knowing that you are supporting a local business and retaining local jobs."

I thought I'd give them a chance after reading this. Explained the situation to them regarding the new cabinet. I was told it was not capable of the speeds and only 100mb. I went through the conversation with eir and the dates it would go live. They checked using my number on the eir website and changed their mind.

I then informed them that I was looking at a broadband only price and gave what eir were offering. Got an email a while afterwards. their 150mb offering was 5 Euro cheaper than what eir are offering for the 1000mb. After telling them this, they offered to match the 150mb price. I declined. :(

How much were they asking for the 150mb? Our contract is up in two weeks. At the moment I'm giving them €38 pm for 6mb.

How much were they asking for the 150mb? Our contract is up in two weeks. At the moment I'm giving them €38 pm for 6mb.

Hello xxx

Thank you for taking the time to talk earlier today.

150Mb fibre to the home €70p/m (€60p/m for the first 3 months)
    300Mb fibre to the home €80p/m (€60p/m for the first 3 months)
    1Gb fibre to the home €90p/m (€60p/m for the first 3 months)

12 month contract applies

They then came down to €55 for 150mb. Hopefully they might revise their figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Are you in Grange too TBird? Where abouts do u mind me asking (roughly)? Im outside grange itself but even we had five six and seven kn and eir vans working outside us for the last month maybe, up until last week.

• Advertisement

Are you in Grange too TBird? Where abouts do u mind me asking (roughly)? Im outside grange itself but even we had five six and seven kn and eir vans working outside us for the last month maybe, up until last week.

Close to centre. Best to check here, enter your number or address

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

T-Bird wrote: »
    Close to centre. Best to check here, enter your number or address

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

Had sales rep around today. Signed up!

Had sales rep around today. Signed up!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Did they have any offers?

€55 for 150.
    Wanted to go €63 for 300 but said there's no need as with FTTH we'd get the full speed of 150. Suppose we can always increase it.

Edit: btw the form says €55 in print so this €70 but we'll do it for €55 is a load of......!

€55 for 150.
    Wanted to go €63 for 300 but said there's no need as with FTTH we'd get the full speed of 150. Suppose we can always increase it.

Edit: btw the form says €55 in print so this €70 but we'll do it for €55 is a load of......!

Is that for the entirety of the contract or does it go up afterr 6 months? Ive heard of people being caught out with that kind of thing before.

Is that for the entirety of the contract or does it go up afterr 6 months? Ive heard of people being caught out with that kind of thing before.

€55 for 12 months

The broadband only offers are straight 12 months with no "special" offers.

Had an email from Fastcom but no prices.
    From May 3rd the following areas can get up to 150Mb fibre direct to your home:
    Ballinfull
    Carney
    Cashelgarren
    Drumcliffe
    Grange
    Moneygold

We can offer you the same fibre product as eir but with local customer support that you can rely on.
    Call us on 1890 71 71 71 or private message us on facebook with your eircode to see if your address is eligible.

Glencar Upgrade

We have recently upgraded our Glencar site
    If you or anybody you know in the Glencar area cannot get a broadband connection or has had a no signal in the past it is worth giving us a call to see if they can get signal with our new upgrade in the area.

Advertisement