Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-starting vaping; advice please? Thanks

• 27-03-2017 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've posted here a few months ago afaik regarding a nautilus x and what mod I could get for it just to test out starting vaping again. Now though, I have decided to actually get back on it due to vaping helping out my breathing problems(asthma). Since the last time I held a mod, I'm pretty sure there was a lot of 'new toys' that had come out. I am know seeking all possible contributions to help me decide what equipment to get :)

Previous equipment:

I had a kangertech subtank plus(iirc), and an eleaf iStick 50w. I was using the RTA capability of the subtank and I really liked it. One issue that I remember having with it was the occasional leak. Afaik though, I got it sorted and it hardly leaked for me unless I left it sitting for a couple of days. So leak-free would be something that I would look for in a tank. I do like big clouds, but it isn't a necessity; I just found it nice :).

I am looking to get the new equipment brand new so suggestions on where to get them would be appreciated, too. I wouldn't mind fasttech(slow delivery times) if the price difference is worth considering.

I've been reading around and it seems like TC had really gotten into the business and it's pretty much the 'in' thing at the moment. By the time that you guys are reading this, I'm probably gonna watch a few videos about it but please do give me a crash course on them if you could. Thank you very much.

Items to buy:

-Tank
    -Mod
    -Liquids (0mg, getting a few flavours in maybe 100ml per flavour)
    -Coil building tools

Thank you very much for your time guys! Looking forward to talking to a few of yous :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You don't mention if you'd prefer an 18650 battery mod, or a dual 18650, or a mod with a built in battery like your old iStick?

If you plan on getting a charger and some good batteries, then I'll recommend some dual 18650 mods and some Rebuildable tanks.

The Alien 220w, the Smoant Battlestar, the Evic Primo or the new Wismec Predator are all solid dual 18650 mods. They offer plenty of power for when you decide to get more adventerous with your builds. And even if you stick to a more mouth to lung style, more battery power = better longevity too between charges.

RTA I would recommend - The Cleito 120 with the separate RBA deck. Expensive maybe to buy the lot, but you do get 2 stock coils with the tank too. And you can use it as either a sub tank or RTA. The OBS Engine is a great RTA, I just got one from Dr Bill on here and I'm loving it. Easy to build, pretty much leak proof and flavor is right up there. The Mage RTA is another little gem, bit tighter and fiddlier to build on, but it offers great flavour and I like tidy little tanks. If you're after something with a larger capacity and like the idea of building bigger, beefier coils and going for some cloudage, then the Herakles RTA-2 is a beast. Sense have some newer tanks out right now, not sure which is their RTA one but would be worth looking into .

Good luck sticking to it this time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

You don't mention if you'd prefer an 18650 battery mod, or a dual 18650, or a mod with a built in battery like your old iStick?

If you plan on getting a charger and some good batteries, then I'll recommend some dual 18650 mods and some Rebuildable tanks.

The Alien 220w, the Smoant Battlestar, the Evic Primo or the new Wismec Predator are all solid dual 18650 mods. They offer plenty of power for when you decide to get more adventerous with your builds. And even if you stick to a more mouth to lung style, more battery power = better longevity too between charges.

RTA I would recommend - The Cleito 120 with the separate RBA deck. Expensive maybe to buy the lot, but you do get 2 stock coils with the tank too. And you can use it as either a sub tank or RTA. The OBS Engine is a great RTA, I just got one from Dr Bill on here and I'm loving it. Easy to build, pretty much leak proof and flavor is right up there. The Mage RTA is another little gem, bit tighter and fiddlier to build on, but it offers great flavour and I like tidy little tanks. If you're after something with a larger capacity and like the idea of building bigger, beefier coils and going for some cloudage, then the Herakles RTA-2 is a beast. Sense have some newer tanks out right now, not sure which is their RTA one but would be worth looking into .

Good luck sticking to it this time :)

The only reason why I didn't mention preference regarding mods is because I didn't really have a preference. Just quickly googled your suggestions and I think I would go with the dual 18650 as it seems like they would be a good fit for my big hands. :D

Are those mods you suggested in order of preference or random? Is it just looks that would be the deciding factor between them?

I would tend to go look at a higher capacity though I'm sure I would be fine with the likes of the Cleito. Same question as above, are those tank suggestions done in order of preference meaning I'll just have to look for the design I would prefer?

Which shop should I order from? Would I get hit with tax if I order from fasttech/gearbest? Also, would any 18650 battery/charger do? Or is there a difference between brands? Do I even need a charger with the Alien? Or does it have a micro USB to plug into and charge the batteries inside?

qoiu6p.png

How does this cart look? I believe I'm still missing batteries, and charger. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? Is this a decent price for all of these items?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

qoiu6p.png

How does this cart look? I believe I'm still missing batteries, and charger. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? Is this a decent price for all of these items?

I'd split the order up so customs don't nab you.
    Try and keep each order under €22.
    I know you can't with the mod.
    Try and keep stuff that does not ship the next day separate as that holds up stuff that ships the next day.

qoiu6p.png

I just listed in any old order really, but I have both the Alien and the Battlestar myself and like both. I'd prefer the Alien if I had to pick one. The engine is a joy to wick and vape, I love the fact you can change cotton without having to empty the tank too. That is something that irks me about many modern RTA

I would say that's a good set up for the money yeah. But as Tickityboo warns, just be wary of customs. You could split the package or take the chance. Choose Ireland priority shipping for the couple of extra dollars to get the pack sooner too.

Btw, the Alien is actually really tidy/neat for it being a dual 18650. But it's very comfortable, I love the fire bar. Hard to use a mod with a plain l' button after tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

I would say that's a good set up for the money yeah. But as Tickityboo warns, just be wary of customs. You could split the package or take the chance. Choose Ireland priority shipping for the couple of extra dollars to get the pack sooner too.

Obs Engine is without doubt one off if not the most user friendly rta's out there at the moment, easy build, big deck for 'exotic' coils, top afc, sidefill, practically leak free, fantastic flavour and clouds. Another thread mentioned one for good value on Gearbest, might be worth a look. Alien is a good mod, upgradeable, comfortable and all the info your ever likely to need on the screen. Another one worth a mention is the Asmodus Minikin V2, dual battery, solid, bit more expensive but has excellent battery life.
    Tbh I wouldn't bother too much with TC vaping, I've never been impressed with it and for me it adds nothing to a vape, I haven't heard many rave about it either so it's something I'd try at a later stage more out of curiosity than necessity.

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are highly highly appreciated. Can't thank you enough.
    I just listed in any old order really, but I have both the Alien and the Battlestar myself and like both. I'd prefer the Alien if I had to pick one. The engine is a joy to wick and vape, I love the fact you can change cotton without having to empty the tank too. That is something that irks me about many modern RTA

Btw, the Alien is actually really tidy/neat for it being a dual 18650. But it's very comfortable, I love the fire bar. Hard to use a mod with a plain l' button after tbh :)

I've been reading around about charging the batteries while in the alien. People were saying it's a bit slow being 1A only. What's a good charger for them and where could I find good batteries? I've been looking around the irish vape shop websites and there doesn't seem to be a good stock of them around. Maybe not the good quality high discharge ones anyway. Or maybe I was just overloaded with all the information last night that I missed a shop where I could buy both batteries and charger in. :pac::pac:

What do you guys mean by customs by the way? Are they going to seize the package completely or they will ask me to pay taxes or something? How bad is it if they do flag my package?

Samsung, Sony or LG batteries are your best option. Nitecore 2 or 4 battery charger is safe and reliable. Try bestshop.eu for both items, sorry I can't link at the moment.
    Item's coming in from China with a value over €22? will be checked and a per centage added plus a fee if your the unlucky one meaning your saving will be eradicated by a customs and post office charge.

Samsung, Sony or LG batteries are your best option. Nitecore 2 or 4 battery charger is safe and reliable. Try bestshop.eu for both items, sorry I can't link at the moment.
    Item's coming in from China with a value over €22? will be checked and a per centage added plus a fee if your the unlucky one meaning your saving will be eradicated by a customs and post office charge.

Cool. Will definitely split them up then. Thank you very much.

This may be my last question, are there such things as fast chargers? :)

Cool. Will definitely split them up then. Thank you very much.

This may be my last question, are there such things as fast chargers? :)

The charging rate (1amp or 2 amp) determines the speed of the charge,the only 2 amp that I know off is the

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/chargers/399-efest-luc-v4-multifunction-smart-charger.html

However for proven reliability and safety I'd still recommend the
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/chargers/458-nitecore-digicharger-d4.html

A fully discharged 18650 will take approx 5/6 hours to fully charge in the Nitecore.

• Advertisement

The charging rate (1amp or 2 amp) determines the speed of the charge,the only 2 amp that I know off is the

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/chargers/399-efest-luc-v4-multifunction-smart-charger.html

However for proven reliability and safety I'd still recommend the
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/chargers/458-nitecore-digicharger-d4.html

A fully discharged 18650 will take approx 5/6 hours to fully charge in the Nitecore.

Ah. That long? Ideally then I should buy 4 batteries I guess.

Is this worth it? http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/chargers/736-nitecore-intellicharger-sc2-charger.html

It says up to 3A charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Obs Engine is without doubt one off if not the most user friendly rta's out there at the moment, easy build, big deck for 'exotic' coils, top afc, sidefill, practically leak free, fantastic flavour and clouds. Another thread mentioned one for good value on Gearbest, might be worth a look. Alien is a good mod, upgradeable, comfortable and all the info your ever likely to need on the screen. Another one worth a mention is the Asmodus Minikin V2, dual battery, solid, bit more expensive but has excellent battery life.
    Tbh I wouldn't bother too much with TC vaping, I've never been impressed with it and for me it adds nothing to a vape, I haven't heard many rave about it either so it's something I'd try at a later stage more out of curiosity than necessity.

Yep on sale
    [url]Http://m.gearbest.com/rebuildable-atomizers/pp_426549.html?wid=3[/url]

Price going up and down by a couple of €€. Currently €12.77 plus a few €€ p&p

Another question is, what's the minimum ampere discharge that I should get? Is 20A enough to future proof considering that wattage seems to get higher and higher? Should I try and get 30A?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Another question is, what's the minimum ampere discharge that I should get? Is 20A enough to future proof considering that wattage seems to get higher and higher? Should I try and get 30A?

Here are 2 batteries that I can recommend,I use these batteries safely for any 0.2ohm up to 1.8ohm coils or builds in Power mode.
    These batteries are also suitable for Temp Control coils & builds.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/682-sony-vtc5-18650-2600mah-12c-30a-battery.html

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/527-samsung-inr-18650-25r-2500mah-30a-battery.html

Here are 2 batteries that I can recommend,I use these batteries safely for any 0.2ohm up to 1.8ohm coils or builds in Power mode.
    These batteries are also suitable for Temp Control coils & builds.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/682-sony-vtc5-18650-2600mah-12c-30a-battery.html

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/527-samsung-inr-18650-25r-2500mah-30a-battery.html

Their information is wrong afaik. The VTC5 are only 20A, but they are fine, I use them myself in the Alien. And the Samsung 25R are also just 20A. They really shouldn't be advertising them above their actual power, surprised at them.

For 30A you want to look to LG batteries, but either of those linked would suffice. Just know they are not 30A

Their information is wrong afaik. The VTC5 are only 20A, but they are fine, I use them myself in the Alien. And the Samsung 25R are also just 20A. They really shouldn't be advertising them above their actual power, surprised at them.

For 30A you want to look to LG batteries, but either of those linked would suffice. Just know they are not 30A

It can be confusing and isn't helped by the lack of information provided by the manufacturers,Samsung would take the lead as regards providing information.
    Both batteries are realistically capable of 20amp continuous discharge,meaning that both can deliver 20amp's within the recommended safe temperature limit of 100 degrees C and both batteries have been well tested to confirm these stats.
    However they can be pulsed (short bursts of power) similar to vaping, up to 40amps but at this stage the battery will discharge much faster and can reach a temperature of 125 degrees C which is not recommended for long periods of use and can cause battery venting.

When buying batteries look for the continuous current rating on the actual battery and not from the vendor's site,this is the baseline that it can be used at safely. If possible buy from a trusted B&M store where you can view the ratings.

Both batteries listed above are excellent,be wary of fakes especially Sony.The LG HE2 is also an excellent 20A battery and all 3 are more than suitable for any regulated device available today. For excellent battery life the Samsung 30Q is probably one of the best, it's rated at 15A but can operate at 20A safely.

For more powerful batteries up to 30A and beyond it has to be the LG HB2 or HB6,used mainly in mech mods with super low builds requiring high power intensity. The big downside of this type of battery is that they are only 1500Mah so they will discharge very quickly.

Most importantly, stay safe,do your research for whatever your style of vaping is and only buy from trusted vendors,local preferably.

I know it's become cliche almost to refer to Battery Mooch, but he is the guy even the top Vape reviewers swear by when it comes to battery safety. He doesn't go by the possible pulse amperage, as it is in no way reliable or consistent. If you only stuck to this chart then you couldn't really go wrong - and especially be very wary of companies claiming their batteries are 40A, because like Doc states, that would be the max possible pulse amperage.

8yFqTuP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Am I right in my long held assumption that take for example the Panasonic/Sanyo 10A 3300mah would be ideal for a beginner using a higher ohm coil at a max of say 12.5 watts?

Trond wrote:
    Am I right in my long held assumption that take for example the Panasonic/Sanyo 10A 3300mah would be ideal for a beginner using a higher ohm coil at a max of say 12.5 watts?

A fully charged 10amp battery would be capable of putting out 40watts of power. So yeah perfectly safe to use in a regulated device with high resistance.

I have had some 10A batteries, but only ever used them in single 18650 mods with 0.5+ ohm coils, should be fine. You're rarely ever going to hit the limit at that.

• Advertisement

I know it's become cliche almost to refer to Battery Mooch, but he is the guy even the top Vape reviewers swear by when it comes to battery safety. He doesn't go by the possible pulse amperage, as it is in no way reliable or consistent. If you only stuck to this chart then you couldn't really go wrong - and especially be very wary of companies claiming their batteries are 40A, because like Doc states, that would be the max possible pulse amperage.

8yFqTuP.jpg

Looking at these batteries, it seems like the 2 to get would be the Sony VTC4 and the LG HD2. Just had a quick google there for these two items for local store selling them, it doesn't seem like they're available at all. Is there anywhere we can get them from? Are they still being sold?

EDIT: Just seen that they are available in Amazon. Is this the only place they could be bought from?

Looking at these batteries, it seems like the 2 to get would be the Sony VTC4 and the LG HD2. Just had a quick google there for these two items for local store selling them, it doesn't seem like they're available at all. Is there anywhere we can get them from? Are they still being sold?

Tbh no you don't need to get the 2 that you mention, if your using a standard regulated mod then a 20 amp battery is perfect or 2 if it's a dual mod. Samsung 25r, LG HE2 or Sony vtc5. These should be available at bestshop.eu

Irishvape for 10 per cent off at bestshop as well if your order is over 20 yo yo.

That's his recommended list, so any of the batteries on there should be fine really. I'm using VTC5 in one mod, and 25r in another, both dual battery mods. I never get near 20A. But then I only vape between 50 - 70w mostly. I usually run 0.2 - 0.3 builds and even at 70w I barely ever see above 15A - plenty of head room. If you were using really low resistance coils like 0.15 or so, you might be better to go for the VTC4 or the higher LG, just for peace of mind. Higher rating is never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

That's his recommended list, so any of the batteries on there should be fine really. I'm using VTC5 in one mod, and 25r in another, both dual battery mods. I never get near 20A. But then I only vape between 50 - 70w mostly. I usually run 0.2 - 0.3 builds and even at 70w I barely ever see above 15A - plenty of head room. If you were using really low resistance coils like 0.15 or so, you might be better to go for the VTC4 or the higher LG, just for peace of mind. Higher rating is never a problem.

Im currently using a pico with the new Nautilus 2. I keep looking at battery like its about to go dead. Its literally miles away! Force of habit compared to sub ohming.

Must say its twice as tough 2nd time around. Stupid smokes :mad:

I surprised myself after I quit tbh. I thought I'd never do it. I was a horse of a smoker :D Had to have one soon as I woke up, before and after every meal ... any time there was a slight lull in the day, or something annoyed me - and I'd have 2-3 on lunch breaks. I had tried everything, the old puffers - those pre-vape things that had a filter in a tube, tried the gum, patches, those crappy nicorette inhalers ... but once I discovered vaping I knew it was that or never. Haven't had a smoke in 4 years now and amazingly, especially on drunken sessions, never really gave into the urge. In the beginning I treated the vape like smokes. I'd puff on it whenever I'd normally have a smoke. And if I had strong urges for tobacco, I'd just puff harder :D

It's weird when you think about it. Most vapers, all of us who are into these mods and tanks and random flavour liquids ... we were all smokers! SO I never give smokers a hard time, I do try encourage them if I know them well enough, but never nag or moan about their habit. I know how hard it is. But the smell o' them! I don't miss stinking of that muck all day :D

Thank you guys so much. Really helped a lot. I think I'm set. I will be buying everything from FT except batteries which I will buy from thebestshop/e-smokeireland in palmerstown. Just realised though that FT may release an easter site-wide discount code so I might wait for that then order. Again, thank you all very much. :)

Advertisement