Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life v.s. Online personality

Options
  • 27-03-2017 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

As I'm sure you all know, we see a very different side of people in youtube comments, and online in general. There's no way people would say what they say online in real life.

I'm an extreme example of this. I'm incredibly shy and anxious in real life, and never say close to what's on my mind to people. I always hold back. To the extend where I've only just realized that you're not supposed to do that, and that people do speak SOME of their minds at least. I always, for some bizarre reason, thought it was natural to just not be myself with people.

But online, in comments and threads, I have no problem voicing my full opinion, whether it causes conflict or not I don't care, and I'm sure most people are like that. That means that I obviously don't care what people think about what I'm saying and am confident in it, so what's stopping me in real life from doing it? Maybe the majority of us are just cowards in a way.... Or maybe it's the fear of real-life conflict. Any thoughts on why so many people act differently (and are usually way more opinionated) online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There are no real life consequences for being forthright online. Nobody knows who you are. You can turn off notifications, you can leave the website, there's no come-back for you.

If you are forthright face-to-face with somebody, you have to deal with the immediate consequences. The other person may react in a variety of ways, and you will have to cope with that reaction.

Always better to be assertive though! And assertiveness is a social skill, it is a communication skill.

Advertisement