Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad instruments? A quiet market…

• 27-03-2017 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hello guys and gals. How do you find the market for buying and selling trad instruments in Ireland?

I would have thought it would be a more popular area, but maybe it depends on the instrument you’re selling or in need of.

I’m a guitarist mainly and there seems to be loads of activity when it comes to buying/selling/trading gear.

I find the trad area, not only on adverts, a bit slower and with far less variation in instruments for sale.

Saying that, I’m not in the trad circuit so maybe there’s more moving and shaking when you’re in the scene and at sessions etc.

Even in Dublin. Maybe I haven’t looked, but apart from Waltons, are there any dedicated trad instrument shops in Dublin.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Plenty of places you could buy guitars I'd imagine but maybe not so many other instruments for traditional music.

I found the selection of whistles so poor that I went online to find things instead, with great results. At the festivals during the summer you'll see instrument makers set up their shops and there is a good enough selection in my experience but they can be expensive. Still good to scope things out if you want to go find it online afterwards ;)

There are a few shops up my direction that are known for selling traditional instruments. I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a trade discussion at a session though! Not to say it doesn't happen. So much about traditional music seems to spread by word of mouth alone.

If you're looking for a good quality instrument (and have the money) I'd imagine someone who restores them would be a good place to start. Again, you'd see those people selling their wares at the festivals.

That's my experience for what it's worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I must keep an eye on the festivals. I'm going to make the move from a mandolin to an octave mandolin and might get something half decent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Oh cool. Post here if you end up buying something! I bought a bouzouki last year myself and would be interested in what you find out on your travels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Still on the hunt. I'll have a gander when I get to Galway.

Advertisement