Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a spot to watch Oxford/Cambridge Boat Race, without hanging around for hour

Options
  • 27-03-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm still reasonably new to London and not quite sure of a better site to post this, so thought I'd just give it a shot here.
    I have a friend visiting me in London this weekend, and would like to bring her along to see the Boat Race. Since she's not a rowing enthusiast, but still mildly intrigued by the Boat Race, I'd like to watch from a bridge if possible (it's more impressive than watching from the bank I think), but I'd also like to avoid taking up a position hours in advance!
    Is this possible? Can anyone recommend a good spot to watch the Boat Race, where we could show up maybe 30 minutes in advance and get a reasonably impressive view? It doesn't need to be at the start or finish. Or am I being naive about the crowd size for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hammersmith bridge is the middle point and generally a good spot. A few pubs on the bank too.

Good link here with a map of the route and a list of pubs in the area.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/0/oxbridge-boat-race-time-tv-channel-best-place-watch/

Ive watched from the area on the bank near the Blue Anchor at hammersmith because its nice to have a pint and then just watch as they pass by from the bank.
    Hammersmith bridge is quite narrow so cant hold that many spectators.

Plenty of space on Chiswick bridge but thats the Finish line and id expect it to be very busy.
    There is plenty of space on the south side of the Chiswick bridge near the pub called The Ship. The river is pretty narrow here so shouldnt be a problem getting a good view.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Anytime I've gone to this, its always busy, especially around Hammersmith. In order to watch it from the bank or a bridge you do need to get there early and grab a spot. They usually have big screens Furnival Gardens, so you can watch the race on those and still absorb the atmosphere. But get there early for a place on the grass.
    The Thames path from Putney to Hammersmith might be a good place to watch, plenty of gaps in the trees along there so you might find a quite spot there (I looked at last years video of the race and it seemed to be fairly sparse along that route). Also you could try Barnes bridge, its got pedestrian access and might be quieter than Chiswick or Hammersmith bridges. The end is generally really busy, lots of people, TV crews and cars about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭osullc10

Just wanted to post a quick follow-up in case it helps others.

I decided to try Barnes Bridge as a viewing location. My preference was to watch from a bridge. Barnes Bridge is a railway bridge, with pedestrian footpaths, but it was actually closed to pedestrians during the race (presumably for safety reasons). So, we just stood not far from the bridge on the footpath that runs alongside the river there. It was a fine spot to see the race. There was a reasonable crowd, but really no more than one-person deep, so it was easy enough to find a space to see, even arriving quite close to race time. It's not a bad spot to watch, as, due to the bend of the river, you see the crews approaching for some distance from Hammersmith direction, before they pass by underneath Barnes Bridge.

Not an unmissable London event by any means, but worth seeing once at least I think.

Advertisement