Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent Renting Requirements

Options
  • 27-03-2017 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I find myself in a position of finding somewhere to rent after living in a home for 11 years. I am shocked at the amount of hoops I'm being asked to jump through, and how much of my personal privacy is breached.

What is the norm for requirements when renting?

I've practically been asked my medical history for no apparent reason.

Experiences appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Landlords market at the minute. A few years ago I was asked for all sorts including a bank reference. I told them to feck off and still got the place. Wouldn't get away with that now. To be fair the rental market is so mental at the minute the landlords are just trying to make sure they get the best possible tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As above its all changed.

Bank account statements, letter from bank and also employer stating you are in full time employment, references, previous LL references.

Social security number.
    Don't be surprised if more turn up and offer over the odds and also you could be asked for 2 or 3 months deposits and months rent.

Its gone absolutely nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As above its all changed.

Bank account statements, letter from bank and also employer stating you are in full time employment, references, previous LL references.

Social security number.
    Don't be surprised if more turn up and offer over the odds and also you could be asked for 2 or 3 months deposits and months rent.

Its gone absolutely nuts.

Actually fewer hoops if you are on welfare as long as they accept RA. But then you already have little personal privacy.

I would never ever give a bank statement to an estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Just redact certain details that are privacy sensitive .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I find myself in a position of finding somewhere to rent after living in a home for 11 years. I am shocked at the amount of hoops I'm being asked to jump through, and how much of my personal privacy is breached.

What is the norm for requirements when renting?

I've practically been asked my medical history for no apparent reason.

Experiences appreciated!

The reason is LL's trying to protect themselves from bad tenants which cost them tens of thousands of euro. With the current tenantcentric laws, historical reasons why we are very, very slow to evict and no proper credit referencing system people are taking matters into their own hands.

Frankly you either play the game or someone else will at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Had a LL recently ask me to bring 6 months of my bank statements to a viewing, along with references...

Advertisement