Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Cycling Challenge 2017

Options
  • 27-03-2017 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

http://cyclingchallenge.eu/

The European Cycling challenge is kicking off across Europe from the 1st to the 31st of May 2017.

This got very little coverage in Ireland last year and my own awareness was only raised about it from an article in the Irish Times mid-way through the challenge.

Dublin finished 13th in the Leaderboard last year with 108,524km logged during the month, I for one would love to see us move up the leaderboard & it'd also be great to see other cities registered in Ireland!

Participation is easy, just set up a profile through the app or website and start tracking your journeys during the month of May. You can track your journeys with the app or upload data from other tracking devices like Garmin & Strava.

The information on the challenge page is interesting, the data fed in by the users generates a heatmap which has been used by some cities to develop their cycling networks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Only a few days til the 2017 challenge kicks off on 1st may, it'd be great to see Dublin & any other Irish towns & cities represented this year and moving up the ranking table.

In 2016 over 1,050 Dubliners supported by 51 organisations, cycled over 108,000kms to 13th place in the European Cycling Challenge. This was your shared achievement, and a superb one for a first time entry. This year, let’s do this and more in 2017!

So what do you need to do?
    Simply sign up again, log your trips during May, and let’s get cycling in Dublin noticed. It doesn’t matter whether you cycle just 5km, or 500kms over the next month, every km counts!

To register through the website go to http://cyclingchallenge.eu/subscribe. You can then also log trips manually or upload gps files or inserting tracks manually

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

The idea in itself is great but the coordinating of it, in Ireland at least, is the bare minimum. I'm actually angry about it because I know first-hand how much good can come from it.
    The first mention I heard of it being run this year was an email that arrived today (they have my email because I participated last year), two working days before a workplace-based drive to get people out cycling.
    They haven't learned from last year, haven't done anything to try to improve numbers or draw conclusions from them, and therefore I won't be bothering with it this year - the national transport crowd obviously just want to tick the box, tell their european betters that we participated.
    Typical contempt, unfortunately, for something that could potentially improve transport matters in some of our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I had a quick attempt and it's a huge pain in the rear end to sign up for this thing - instead of pushing an app that I really don't want to download they should just allow me to link my garmin or strava account.

The idea in itself is great but the coordinating of it, in Ireland at least, is the bare minimum. I'm actually angry about it because I know first-hand how much good can come from it.
    The first mention I heard of it being run this year was an email that arrived today (they have my email because I participated last year), two working days before a workplace-based drive to get people out cycling.
    They haven't learned from last year, haven't done anything to try to improve numbers or draw conclusions from them, and therefore I won't be bothering with it this year - the national transport crowd obviously just want to tick the box, tell their european betters that we participated.
    Typical contempt, unfortunately, for something that could potentially improve transport matters in some of our cities.

I agree, the coordination & awareness is non-existent which is a real disappointment for what could be a really useful initiative. I'll participate again this year and log my journeys at the very least to have my routes included in the heat map that is generated. I have no faith that this will be taken on board or even brought to the relevant authority's attention when upgrading or repairing cycling facilities but I'd rather have my journeys included since I track them anyway than not put the data towards anything that could potentially be of some use.

I had a quick attempt and it's a huge pain in the rear end to sign up for this thing - instead of pushing an app that I really don't want to download they should just allow me to link my garmin or strava account.

It's a bit of a pain as you have to download the data file for your journeys and load them to the record. I won't be downloading the app either, I'll load my journeys as tracked by my garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a pain as you have to download the data file for your journeys and load them to the record. I won't be downloading the app either, I'll load my journeys as tracked by my garmin.

does it allow you to upload .fit files though? i had a quick look at the website and it suggested that only .gpx files could be uploaded. i agree with above comments, promotion is poor and they really don't make it easy to participate.

does it allow you to upload .fit files though? i had a quick look at the website and it suggested that only .gpx files could be uploaded. i agree with above comments, promotion is poor and they really don't make it easy to participate.

Not sure what type of files you can upload, I remember from last year it accepted Garmin & strava data files though so whatever extension they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

7. Trips with an average speed higher than 30 km/h AND a maximum speed higher than 45 km/h are not valid for the challenge, thus for the city leaderboard, but only for the statistical leaderboard. The same will be for trips longer than 35 km.

and
    13. Sport and training activities are not allowed.

Kinda takes a bit of the fun out of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amyplify

Well about to do my first cycle for this today...even if the app did crash and you can't log your journeys for the challenge until it's fixed.

Really poor show from them but low participant numbers isn't going to encourage them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was able to log my journeys today. Whilst promotion may have been slow it's still worthwhile signing up and inputting your trips. The information from the app does get back to the NTA. Interesting article on the whole thing here.
    http://civitas.eu/event/european-cycling-challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've attempted to upload my commutes several times today but the site is knackered. I'm sure it'll be rectified soon enough but it's a bit of a disaster, tbh.

I'm not using the Naviki app but I'll upload the GPX from Strava.

It seems to be up and running smoothly again. I really hate the map navigation though (using the app - I don't think there's a way for me to import Strava data to Naviki). I hate to put down people's hard work but that app is atrocious as far as I can see, wouldn't use it if it wasn't necessary for the ECC.

On a positive note I logged 35.6 kms yesterday for team IADT (which is good for a novice like myself, I think(!?)) I lost my kms on the 01st because the app crashed while saving my route but I screencapped it before it crashed so I might email them about it and see...every km helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

amyplify wrote: »
    It seems to be up and running smoothly again. I really hate the map navigation though (using the app - I don't think there's a way for me to import Strava data to Naviki).
    You can download .gpx files from Strava (might be just Premium, tho):
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918437-Exporting-your-Data-and-Bulk-Export#GPX
    and upload into Naviki:
    http://www.cyclingchallenge.eu/naviki

I did this but it rejected my ride for breaking some rule (I'd ridden home from work and then went out to buy some groceries - doesn't seem to be an acceptable activity), so I gave up on it.

amyplify wrote: »
    It seems to be up and running smoothly again.

It has got to be one of the clunkiest pieces of design I've seen in a long time :mad: There's nowhere on Naviki for me to see that I'm signed up for the ECC and nowhere on the ECC page to see that my "routes" (FFS who calls activities routes?? :confused: ) have been included. Strava and Garmin can connect with each other, it wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility to allow automatic upload from one of these platforms. I honestly can't see myself staying the course for an entire month and uploading all of my activities.

It has got to be one of the clunkiest pieces of design I've seen in a long time :mad: There's nowhere on Naviki for me to see that I'm signed up for the ECC and nowhere on the ECC page to see that my "routes" (FFS who calls activities routes?? :confused: ) have been included. Strava and Garmin can connect with each other, it wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility to allow automatic upload from one of these platforms. I honestly can't see myself staying the course for an entire month and uploading all of my activities.

Sorry, 'smoothly' was a poor choice of words.

The ECC details are, in typical Naviki fashion, well hidden. Settings>Contests>ECC2017

However, it looks like the info is taken on board by the NTA, so still worth clocking up them kms - I got this from an '@nationaltransport.ie' address today
    Dear Cyclist,

First of all, thank you for making up Team Dublin! I am aware that some of you have experienced technical issues, and a special thank you to you for your patience.
    · Yes, there have been some technical issues, in other words, it’s not you BUT good news from the central organisers is that registration and other issues around logging are now fixed.
    · Some very useful FAQ’s can be found here: https://www.naviki.org/en/naviki/info/faq/#c18735 if using the app on an IPhone, slide on the slider in the bottom of the page to stop tracking, just exciting on the android will trigger it to save.
    · If you are still having issues, please e-mail me cyclechallenge@nationaltransport.ie

And some Good News for Team Dublin
    · It’s official, you persevere! Despite a tricky start, the Dublin team is coming 17th out of 52 cities! J That is three behind Glasgow and two ahead of Manchester – to see the leaderboard, go to http://cyclingchallenge.eu/classifiche/classifica-principale/ Let’s challenge Glasgow! ;)
    · We are currently a team of 340 cyclists and 142 of us have cycled more than 10 kms so far – there are probably more of you, they may just need to be registered. You can BACKLOG YOUR TRIPS, see How can I participate in the ECC without a smartphone?).
    · Amazingly, we have cycled more kms already than we had by this stage last year – SO Please KEEP IT UP!
    · Let’s not be afraid to grow – why not tell your friends! http://cyclingchallenge.eu/subscribe

To be in with a chance of winning a goody bag and a Cycle T-shirt, send in your sharable photos. To be in with a chance of final prizes, just cycle your way into the top 100 on the leaderboard!

Happy cycling!

Sinead
    Smarter Travel Workplaces/European Cycle Challenge Coordinator

boardbeer wrote: »
    You can download .gpx files from Strava (might be just Premium, tho):
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918437-Exporting-your-Data-and-Bulk-Export#GPX
    and upload into Naviki:
    http://www.cyclingchallenge.eu/naviki

I did this but it rejected my ride for breaking some rule (I'd ridden home from work and then went out to buy some groceries - doesn't seem to be an acceptable activity), so I gave up on it.

Thank you! I'm guessing it broke something in rule 7?
    7. Trips with an average speed higher than 30 km/h AND a maximum speed higher than 45 km/h are not valid for the challenge, thus for the city leaderboard, but only for the statistical leaderboard. The same will be for trips longer than 35 km.

If not, contact the local coordinator and see if you can get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is anyone else still persevering with this? Have to say their attitude on Social Media is, well, not great.

https://www.facebook.com/europeancyclingchallenge/posts/1461123643944846?match=ZXVyb3BlYW4gY3ljbGluZyBjaGFsbGVuZ2UsY2hhbGxlbmdlLGN5Y2xpbmc%3D

P_1 wrote: »
    Is anyone else still persevering with this? Have to say their attitude on Social Media is, well, not great.

https://www.facebook.com/europeancyclingchallenge/posts/1461123643944846?match=ZXVyb3BlYW4gY3ljbGluZyBjaGFsbGVuZ2UsY2hhbGxlbmdlLGN5Y2xpbmc%3D

Yeah I uploaded 6 journeys from my garmin yesterday, I won't use their app, if I wanted to track my journeys using an app I'd use strava or the garmin connect app.

That's a **** attitude they have towards their users in that Facebook post. My commute is less than 15km each way but if it was more than 15km would they consider me to be abusing the system? They should be encouraging longer journeys by bike if anything.

I've been uploading all my spins to this by downloading the GPX from Strava and then uploading to Naviki. It takes a while for the distance to appear on the leaderboard page and spins over the 'regulation' distance don't count on the city leaderboard but do appear on the statisical leaderboard.

It's cumbersome to say the least. I'm questioning why I'm continuing to persevere with it.

But now, after reading the FB post about discounting rides over 15km, I think i'll just pack it in. My commute is 19km each way. It's a legitimate commute. If they don't like it then I won't bother my behind.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've been uploading all my spins to this by downloading the GPX from Strava and then uploading to Naviki. It takes a while for the distance to appear on the leaderboard page and spins over the 'regulation' distance don't count on the city leaderboard but do appear on the statisical leaderboard.

It's cumbersome to say the least. I'm questioning why I'm continuing to persevere with it.

But now, after reading the FB post about discounting rides over 15km, I think i'll just pack it in. My commute is 19km each way. It's a legitimate commute. If they don't like it then I won't bother my behind.

I'm honestly persevering in the hope the data could be used productively but they really don't make it simple

• Advertisement

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I'm honestly persevering in the hope the data could be used productively but they really don't make it simple

Same here. But I'm loosing interest. Rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Last year it was possible to directly upload gpx tracks (from any source) directly to Cycling Challenge website, so it seems crazy to be forcing people to use one particular app now. The distance limit is a separate point and I see what they're getting at in terms of trying to promote normal commuting for everyone rather than just turning into something for sporty people, but I agree that the language/attitude in that facebook post is very poor.
    I actually thought the central organisers attitude was very bad last year too when their system was creating a huge privacy breech by not having the option of a geographic privacy zone like on Strava, meaning everyone sheds were appearing on the public map, leading potential bike thieves right to the door. While they fixed it eventually, the initial response from the organisers was 'well, no other city has a problem with it' and 'it's ok because people won't know your name'.

They have certainly overcomplicated it this year.

I've a feeling there's a French influence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

crosstownk wrote: »
    They have certainly overcomplicated it this year.

I've a feeling there's a French influence. :D

Eyetalian I think? The whole thing is a hames.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

P_1 wrote: »
    maximum speed higher than 45 km/h are not valid for the challenge, thus for the city leaderboard, but only for the statistical leaderboard. The same will be for trips longer than 35 km.
    Interesting, considering that long ditance commuters inIreland will probabaly have a few hills and may hit over 45kmph with little effort on the outward or inward leg.

Their attitude and poor set up makes it a project not worth the effort for me unless something changes.

I cycle from Chapelizod to Sandyford when I commute. Well over 15km (and over the 35km too). What a rubbish attitude. I'm going to stop participating but I will email the local co-ordinator to tell her why. It seems the organisers are more inclined to listen to the local co-ordinators than the participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Chapelizod to Sandyford is less than 35km each way. No reason why the app cannot be used.

Have you guys seen the distances some of the guys in Gdansk and Izmir are posting? They are taking the piss hence why the organizers need to change the rule. The challenge is supposed to be for real cycling commuters. People who use the bike to get to and from work/college and then use their bike in the evening to go out to the cinema, visit a friends house etc. It is not for guys who log imaginary miles from their computer or for guys training for a race who go out for a 100km cycle after work or at the weekend and split it in three for the challenge. It is meant to me for your regular cyclist getting from A to B going about their everyday business.

treade1 wrote: »
    No reason why the app cannot be used.

Aside from the fact it's rubbish, chosen seemingly at random or for opaque reasons and I don't want it on my phone. If they want people to take part then they should make it easy to get involved but they've made it unnecessarily difficult.

• Advertisement

I would agree that last year's App was easier to use but it is by no means impossible to use plus it is only for a 1 month after which it can be deleted.
    I presume a dedicated app is needed to control the city limits and to ensure that the rules specific to the ECC can be enforced.

Advertisement