Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike? Or not?

Options
  • 27-03-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

412916.jpg
    Here's my current bike.  Its a very pretty Bianchi Via Nirone....I've had it maybe 5 years now, bike itself is older, it is I think their 2007 version, I bought it 2nd hand.  I am being encouraged by more serious riders to upgrade...and there is probably good reason to, but I am finding it very hard to come up with anything genuine to justify the spend. Question for the bored...what will I actually get experientially from an upgrade?  I'd like a better fit, the frame is a touch too big for me and I do get some back pain on longer rides.  Traditionally, people say "weight" - I think mine weighs in around 9.5kgs, which while not super light, isn't exactly a sack of spuds.  Aluminium frame, carbon forks.....bike is stock bianchi, so has the original campagnolo group set etc...my usual saturday rides are spins around 45-60kms, and I'd like to extend those this summer to 80-90km spins - I live in a mountainous area, so climbing is a thing..... budget - I think i'd be happy to spend up to (gulps) 2k or so on an upgrade, but not much more
    and I am aware of the rule that the correct number of bikes is N+1......seriously having trouble biting the bullet as I am blinded by the choice and really unsure as to what I'll get out of it......if I do upgrade, it has to be to a bike AS PRETTY as the bianchi...any suggestions?  Any advice?  what has the last 10 years of advances in bike tech brought that i'll notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

what has the last 10 years of advances in bike tech brought that i'll notice?

Better carbon frames, improvements in the grade and layup leading to lighter stronger frames.. Same for carbon and alloy rims..
    11 speed gearing, integrated shifting including electronic / wireless
    Disc brakes, thru axles, Tubeless tyres...

Just what I can think of off the top of my head..

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

N+1. Always need a new bike. And when you buy a new one, you will soon need to buy another one too. Nothing constructive to add. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

N+1. Always need a new bike. And when you buy a new one, you will soon need to buy another one too. Nothing constructive to add. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If your sore on the bike that's the main reason you need. Doesn't have to be an upgrade, could be like for like. If your planning on spending longer in the saddle comfort is key, and it's worth the money. I just changed bikes, from a good bike that I was uncomfortable on after around 2hours to a good bike that I feel a lot more comfortable on. It just makes everything a lot nicer, climbing, descending, riding on the flat. It's nice to have the new bike with the new groupset and new wheels but the comfort is the one thing that stands out for me. Try a few bikes and find one that fits well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the current gearing on it? (you mentioned living in a mountainous area)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Better carbon frames, improvements in the grade and layup leading to lighter stronger frames.. Same for carbon and alloy rims..

So generally just "things are better".  I'm imagining smoother, lighter, better power transmission?  
    The gearing is old school currently, its got a triple on it, 50*39*30 with 12-27 on the rear.  I'll have to see can i get a go on some different frame sizes and see how it feels....
    N+1 here I come.  Would I see a significant difference if for example I bought the current version of the same bike?  I guess a bike that fits properly trumps all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Tenzor07 wrote: »

So generally just "things are better".  I'm imagining smoother, lighter, better power transmission?  
    The gearing is old school currently, its got a triple on it, 50*39*30 with 12-27 on the rear.  I'll have to see can i get a go on some different frame sizes and see how it feels....
    N+1 here I come.  Would I see a significant difference if for example I bought the current version of the same bike?  I guess a bike that fits properly trumps all...
    So on your current bike your lowest gear ratio is 30/27=1.1.  So if you go for a Standard Compact (50/34) with a 'normal' 11/28 cassette you'll have the lowest ratio of 34/28=1.21.  So you'll have to specify a 32 on the back, with a medium cage mechanism to get a lower gear ration that you have at the moment.  Bear this in mind if you are on your limit going up steep hills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm still using a road bike i bought in the january sales during the euro/punt changeover. the only issue i have with it is gearing, and as mentioned above, you've a far greater range on that bike than you would on a new one probably.

the main reason to change that you mentioned, is as others said, sizing. might be worth getting a shorter stem to see if that makes any difference?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went for a similar upgrade over a year ago, from a Veloce triple to an Ultegra compact with 11/32 cassette. Shifting is certainly smoother, and 34/32 is a lower low gear. I ended up going for a light CX bike as I also wanted to be able handle a bit of off road, canals, and tracks, which has worked well for me but wouldn't suit everyone. If I wasn't on a CX bike, I'd look for something with clearance for 28c tyres which do add that bit of comfort on Irish country roads. I ended up with disc brakes as I needed them for the wide tyre clearance, but wouldn't be that bothered with them on a road bike.

Many months later ---- this is the new lad, arriving in October early.  http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/trek-domane-sl-7-263467-1.htm

Got a decent deal on 1 that's been used for 1 season of rental, worth roughly €1k off the price (comes with warranty and a fitting and 1st service included).  11-32 on a compact, with the fancy suspension and Di2 and what not.  Just need to get better at cycling faster so I don't look like a granny on it.  :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Many months later ---- this is the new lad, arriving in October early.  http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/trek-domane-sl-7-263467-1.htm

Got a decent deal on 1 that's been used for 1 season of rental, worth roughly €1k off the price (comes with warranty and a fitting and 1st service included).  11-32 on a compact, with the fancy suspension and Di2 and what not.  Just need to get better at cycling faster so I don't look like a granny on it.  :)

That's a fairly quantum leap upgrade!

Beauty of a bike - well done

edit - double post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

You will really love the trek, got the Trek emonda sl6 pro back in May with ultegra, super light with carbon wheels , best of luck with new steed and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Jaybus!! when you said upgrade, you really meant it!!!!
    Well done.
    Now, you will need to do a few things to the Bianchi to have as a Winter bike.......................................shouldn't cost more than a few hundred yo-yos.

Cheers lads,

To be fair, I've been prevaricating on this for 2 years.... time to put my money where my mouth is!!

Edit image fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sorry to hijack the thread I'm also considering a new bike to try and get out and cycle more often.

I'm considering going with this

https://www.kross.pl/en/2015/road/vento-4-0

or with this

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-alr/domane-alr-3/p/1402000-2018/?colorCode=red (

let me know any opinions out there
    or has anyone any other suggestions. It'll be on the bike to work scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Over €1000 for a bike with sora groupset ������

U need to take a look at rose bike €1099 will get u light Alu bike with full 105 group

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro-sl-2000-bike-now-821326/aid:821333

byrybak wrote: »
    Over €1000 for a bike with sora groupset ������

U need to take a look at rose bike €1099 will get u light Alu bike with full 105 group

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro-sl-2000-bike-now-821326/aid:821333

that's why I am asking for suggestions
    thanks

can't get that on the bike to work scheme though
    who can order the likes of that in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    thanks

Rose ship here for 32 € . Plenty here buy from them.

• Advertisement

Rose ship here for 32 € . Plenty here buy from them.

If I ship it over myself I cannot get it on the bike to work scheme (or correct me if I'm wrong)

point my in the direction of someone who supplies them
    I've done a few searches to no avail

If I ship it over myself I cannot get it on the bike to work scheme (or correct me if I'm wrong)

point my in the direction of someone who supplies them
    I've done a few searches to no avail

I never used the scheme so others might be able to advise better but I think it depends on what your company allow.

I never used the scheme so others might be able to advise better but I think it depends on what your company allow.

department of education, so it has to go through an Irish bike supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and there's no need to spend a fortune either OP,

plenty of decent new bikes out there sub €500

fryup wrote: »

thanks
    I have a hybrid bike I bought for 500 few years back
    I'm willing to spend up to 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but why spend a grand ? there's no need

its only going to cost me 500 with bike to work scheme

fryup wrote: »

Very true. I got a planet X recently for 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

thanks

No one - Canyon/Rose use a DTC model which is why it's cheaper, my stock advice for this is the Giant defy, excellent frame with the different grades of bike having different levels of kit on, so when you do upgrade the parts (as they wear out) the frame is well able for it.

Most manufacturers have bikes around the 1K pricepoint because of the bike to work scheme, there will be some variation in specs, better wheels vs better drivechain but I'd imagine all will have their own in-house finishing kits (seatpost, stem etc) so pick which bits mean the most to you (red ones are faster ;) ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement