Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet

Options
  • 27-03-2017 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get my hands on a decent tablet, ideally in a bricks and mortar shop as I've a OneForAll voucher to partly use against it.

Will just be using it to watch TV shows, etc... so screen-size ideally 8" or more. Want to be able to use it for more maybe down the line so nothing too crappy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

Hi, I just wanted to let you know what i only found out recently. I was recently gifted One4All vouchers, and was struggling to decide where to use it, as i do most of my shopping online, except for groceries.

Amazon accepts them now!
    Looking to get my hands on a decent tablet, ideally in a bricks and mortar shop as I've a OneForAll voucher to partly use against it.

Will just be using it to watch TV shows, etc... so screen-size ideally 8" or more. Want to be able to use it for more maybe down the line so nothing too crappy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

I investigated this further, for myself, as it was something that I was told! The actual process is that you go to the One4All website and they let you convert them for use with Amazon -

https://www.one4allgiftcard.co.uk/amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi Gavin,
    I know you didn't get much specific advice here, but did you pick up a tablet in the end?
    What did you go for, and any feedback on your device?

Any other ideas of a current suitable tablet for much the same as Gavin described?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hi Davy, I ended up picking up an Acer Iconia One 10 on Adverts for €95 (was still in packaging) just before last summer. Does the job for watching TV and that when away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi Davy, I ended up picking up an Acer Iconia One 10 on Adverts for €95 (was still in packaging) just before last summer. Does the job for watching TV and that when away.

Cheers, was wondering about the Acer's.
    Know their not top-end, but that's definitely not what I need (will mostly be for kids in car while on holidays etc), or want to spend.
    Goof to know their not crap.

Will have another look at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi

There is a good few treads on here about Tablets.
    Your choice will depend on
    What you want to use it for?
    What size - 7, 8 >10 inch
    How much you want to spend.

Argos - is a good place to start your search (see what's on offer and can you get it cheaper somewhere else?).
    Over the last few years, I've purchased 4 x tablets: 2 x Lenovo Tabs, 1 x Samsung 7" & 1 x Acer 8".

I still consider the Lenovos to be the best value for my/our purposes. Reasonable build and functional.
    Used mostly for Netflix & other streaming options, reading Email, internet searches, book reader, music player.
    I bring the Lenovo when travelling to Spain (can watch a movie on the plane, read a book by the pool, reply to emails, etc, etc..
    Works well and did not cost a fortune.
    Considering the above, I would also look at the Samsung, Acer, Asus or Hauwie - if the price/value was good.
    Battery Life is a consideration.

If your going to use it for much more than mentioned above - buy a laptop. €149 is good value for a 10" & I wouldn't go too far beyond €200
    But for general use (TV, Movies, Music, Emails Web searches, reader etc. - the Lenovo Tab or the others will all be good.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosComparison?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&categoryId=&langId=111&returnToURL=%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FSearch%3Fpp%3D20%26s%3DPrice%253A%2BLow%2B-%2BHigh%26storeId%3D10152%26catalogId%3D14551%26langId%3D111%26q%3DLENOVO%26r_001%3D1%257CScreen%2Bsize%2B%2528in%2529%257C10.1%257C1%26authToken%3D&compIds=1123504&compIds=802224&compIds=802228&compIds=1223262&authToken=&orderedIds=1123504_802224_802228_1223262_

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

looking to pick up a cheapish but decent tab for the young lads birthday, used for netflix, you tube, android games, etc. Are the Lenovos the best bang for your buck???

Have this reserved. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4179126.htm

Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

Could not fault the Lenovo Tab 2 A10, great value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi Lenovo
    I found them to be good quality for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danny50

Hi the lenovo tab 2 is going for 149€ in Lidl@s official opening in Gullivers park, santry at 7am on thursday. nice looking LG tv as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Cheers, was wondering about the Acer's.
    Know their not top-end, but that's definitely not what I need (will mostly be for kids in car while on holidays etc), or want to spend.
    Goof to know their not crap.

Will have another look at them.

If they are just for kids,the Fire hd tablets are reduced at the moment. Argos,Currys and Amazon themselves,compare prices to see which of them is cheaper.
    These don't have the play store etc as they are Amazon specific but it can be installed in 5 minutes after a quick Google.
    I got them for the kids as they don't cost the earth and they just use them mostly for streaming stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

If they are just for kids,the Fire hd tablets are reduced at the moment. Argos,Currys and Amazon themselves,compare prices to see which of them is cheaper.
    These don't have the play store etc as they are Amazon specific but it can be installed in 5 minutes after a quick Google.
    I got them for the kids as they don't cost the earth and they just use them mostly for streaming stuff.

I went with the Amazon Fire 10 in the end, there was an amazon Easter sale on and they were reduced..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Glebee wrote: »
    I went with the Amazon Fire 10 in the end, there was an amazon Easter sale on and they were reduced..

Here's the guide for putting playstore etc.on it.

https://saintlad.com/install-google-play-store-on-kindle-fire/

There's also parental controls in the settings so kids can't use your Amazon account to buy games and apps. I found this out after the fact. Thought I had it enabled but my young one bought herself Minecraft.

Advertisement