Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of Doctor

Options
  • 27-03-2017 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Please feel free to move to a more suitable forum.

Hi guys,

Recently moved to Dublin and was wondering about a couple of things regarding changing my doctor.

1. Any recommendations in the Dublin city centre/Dublin 7 area for good practices?

2. How do I go about changing my doctor? Do I need to get all my files transferred over myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭recipesforme

Hi,

I recently changed doctors and in order to have my files transferred I had to submit the request to my old doctor in writing. The new practice also had to send an email confirming they would be taking me on as a patient.
    I don't know if all practices would demand as much effort, but I suppose it's just to make sure everything is above board.

I'm currently with the Custom House Medical Centre and I'm very happy with their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Hi recipesforme,

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask, was it just a case of making an appointment with your new doctor and asking them to take you on? I assume they have the right to decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭recipesforme

It was the case with the Custom house Medical centre but I don't think it's necessarily the case for all.
    If you ring up the practice you're thinking of moving to and explain, they'll be able to tell straight away whether they're taking on new patients or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you a private or a medical card patient?

Practices rarely won't take on new private patients. Its not unheard of, though.

Medical card patients need to be accepted and apply for a transfer. Many city centre practices do not take medical cards at all and many that do are unwilling to take on more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

I'm a private patient, so it sounds like it may be a little easier for me to get set up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement