Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring large sums of money to Euro

Options
  • 27-03-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got good advice on the most economic method of doing this?

Myself and the missus have been been saving for our wedding which will be be in Ireland so at some stage we'll have to start transferring money to our Irish bank accounts to start paying it off.

I've seen the likes of transferwise suggested as the cheapest method. Is this the case?

Also are we better off transferring in chunks of a few thousand now and again or lumping say €10k+ in one go?

MODS: If you think this is more relevant in some kind of FX forum then please move - Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I always use currency fair. I always offer it for sale instead of buying. It's a fairly busy market there and at this time of year I would imagine it wouldn't take long to match that sort of amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I use Transferwise - i found it easy to use and good value

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Second Transferwise. Used it to pay for my wedding in Ireland and then used it to transfer gift money back to the UK. Pretty painless and good rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I just checked my Revolut app. £10000 in one pop would cost ~€38 in charges. £5000 wound cost €0.22, £4000 is fee free. That app and card have saved me a good lump while travelling over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

+1 for Revolut too. All you need is the bank details of the Irish accounts, stay within the limits posted above and you're laughing.
    Works incredibly well too as a point of sale card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement